Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 03:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
It's possible because the heat sink is clogged up and made the CPU run hot so it throttled down to prevent burning up.
The CPU I have is 3.2ghz, it will go up to 3.8ghz (if I remember correctly) as long as the temps, fan speeds etc will allow it to that safely. No mention of it throttling down though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 03:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
and no modern PC (especially a brand name) is going to come with one out of the box.
I don't even have IDE connections on my Mobo. I found this out when I was building it and went to connect the DVD.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:36 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,379 times
Oh boy, I wasn't expecting this to turn into a real discussion, but I'm happy it did. The picture was posted on Reddit, under the "WTF" section. I'm not sure if this was really a customer asking this or not, or what was actually said. I'll have to check in a bit if the OP responded or not. The second thought (after the what the?) that entered my head was the high potential of a fire hazard and how it didn't start on fire already. I don't know if it could even boot with that thick of dust on it. Every desktop I've owned never even got close to that bad! a light dusting, maybe.

Just imagine the health of the person who had the pleasant experience of sitting next to it or being in the same room while it was running. Yuck.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:54 PM

124 posts, read 145,192 times
It's definitely the dust. I recommend you tell the person to buy a can of the pressurized air at your local radio shack that is made particularly for blowing the dust out of computers. Disassemble the computer tower and blow out the dust, I'm more than positive you will be shocked when you see the amount of dust in the computer. Not only does PC's suffer from dust but even game systems. You should tell the person to always clean your PC out regularly to avoid overheating. Not cleaning it out could result in damage to your CPU and GPU. If you have a heat sink of the CPU, the bond between the CPU and heat sink could melt from overheating and you will have to manually fix it using polysynthetic silver. This is a time consuming task and sometimes it doesn't work. Avoid that hassle and just keep the PC's guts clean!

Old 05-12-2013, 06:02 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooshi View Post
It's definitely the dust.
And you know this beyond a shadow-of-a-doubt how?

Grabbing my popcorn, this oughta be good.....

Old 05-12-2013, 08:08 PM

207 posts, read 508,653 times
If you think DUST caused the customer's system to run slower, then please for the benefit of humanity GET OUT of the computer repair business because you're doing yourself and everybody a disservice.

You're welcome from the Geek Max.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:34 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegarlic View Post
If you think DUST caused the customer's system to run slower, then please for the benefit of humanity GET OUT of the computer repair business because you're doing yourself and everybody a disservice.

You're welcome from the Geek Max.
Dust would most certainly have a negative impact on system performance. Silicon works much less efficiently as the temperature rises; excess dust not only clogs the computer's fans, it acts as a great, big thermal blanket.

At the very least, the customer would have experienced random crashes. Frankly, I'm surprised the pictured system could even make it through its POST.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
No, it's not.

A consumer grade user that never opens the case isn't going to special order a Compaq PC with a floppy drive, and no modern PC (especially a brand name) is going to come with one out of the box. If the interior of the PC is that dusty, I guarantee that the heads of the FDD is equally coated in grime, and the floppy isn't working anymore. If they had a specific need for it, they would have had it replaced, in which case the interior of the system would have been cleaned and wouldn't be that dirty. There's also the fact that in the vast majority of situations, it would take years for that amount of dust to build up.

We're also looking at a 40 wire IDE cable in there...

It's simple deductive reasoning, Tek. I'm actually kind of surprised that you disagreed with me. As a tech type, I would have expected you to be a bit more analytical than using yourself - someone that would never let a system get into that condition in the first place - as a basis for comparison. Don't confuse the brevity of my post with my making "silly assumptions." That in itself actually is a "silly assumption."
Long argument that means little. Especially since it nothing to do with my statement. You should try using some of that deductive reasoning you're so concerned about.

I've worked on computers that looked worse that the one in the OP and the floppy drives (yes drives - 5 1/4 and 3 1/2) both worked fine. So, no I wasn't really using myself. I was using a quarter century of working on computers.

I was just making the point that because the computer had a floppy drive was in no way connected to it running slow.

Quote:
I see a floppy cable in there.

Time to upgrade. No amount of cleaning is going to speed that thing up appreciably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
That has nothing to do with the speed of a computer. My very fast computers both have floppy cables in them because they both have floppy drives. Silly assumption.
The fact that there is a floppy drive in that computer has no bearing on the speed of the computer.

It's still a silly assumption. Put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig.

Edit: There is a time when it would affect the speed of the PC. If the OS is running on it, or a program is.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:17 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
That is easily the worst I've ever seen. Just.... wow.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,376 times
Im surprised people are even discussing this. I most certainly HAVE cleaned out computers and fixed slowness and reliability issues. Computers less filthy than that. What you probably cant see in that picture, is the heat sink is most likely loaded up too, and the chip isnt being cooled properly. That computer has to be many years old, so would it be blazing fast from cleaning it, nope, but it should make a difference. It would take many cans of air to fix that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers