U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:51 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,279,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
thanks everyone. i think i would have been fired by now if they really wanted to bug me. it's pathetic how we seriously have no privacy in the US anymore. wire tapping phones, reading emails, surveillance cameras everywhere... a real police state. hhmm....kinda scary, actually.
Excuse me - you are using the resources of your employer for personal use, on their time and you think that is an invasion of privacy???? On, that is priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 03:36 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,244,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTouch View Post
When you delete anything from media, whether that be a hard drive, floppy or usb, you are only deleting the pointer to that file. It is still resident on the media, and can be retrieved using a number of different forensic tools. Even overwriting a file, to include free space and slack space, doesn't mean that some if not all of the file is retrievable. And if your sending from work, depending upon the company that data is backed up, including the emails. They can retreive any and all data and they can retrieve what websites you visited. You will not be able to delete all of that and most major companies configure their systems so that you can not download software without administrator rights. Also you shouldn't have access to the event logs either, if the company has configured the systems approriately. So if your doing something from a company computer, especially if it's something you shouldn't be ..... good luck ....

So no when you delete a file it is not permenantly deleted.
When I donated two computers to charity I did low-level formats on all the hard drives, then filled them with junk files, then low-level formatted them again. Hopefully that deterred all but the most devoted hackers.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:33 PM

630 posts, read 2,064,162 times
It probably did, but for a forensics geek like me I would love to have tried. On occasion I buy peoples hard drives they are selling and then run tools on them to see what I can come up with. It can be interesting sometimes, but if I come up with someones personal data I give them the information that I find then properly take care of the hard drive. A lot of people don't realize that re-formating the drive doesn't mean that I can't retrieve the data or at least portions of it. I'm a Certified Ethical Hacker, yes there is such a thing (Certified Ethical Hacker (C|EH) Training Camp), so to keep within my ethical standards (also a CISSP) I insure that the persons data is returned and destroyed.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:14 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,244,386 times
Quote:
It probably did, but for a forensics geek like me I would love to have tried. On occasion I buy peoples hard drives they are selling and then run tools on them to see what I can come up with. It can be interesting sometimes, but if I come up with someones personal data I give them the information that I find then properly take care of the hard drive. A lot of people don't realize that re-formating the drive doesn't mean that I can't retrieve the data or at least portions of it. I'm a Certified Ethical Hacker, yes there is such a thing (Certified Ethical Hacker (C|EH) Training Camp), so to keep within my ethical standards (also a CISSP) I insure that the persons data is returned and destroyed.
If you have a junky drive that you want to get rid of, you can just try it on that one.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:35 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,028,517 times
Basically, NOTHING is ever really "deleted" off a hard drive unless you totally wipe it clean through reformatting. Even if you use a file shredder, you're not really pulling it off your hard drive. You're simply overwriting it multiple times to make it more difficult to retrieve. Kinda like using a pen to write all over a newspaper article. Eventually, if you do it enough, you won't be able to see what the article said. But that's the key - you have to do it enough times to be sure that you can't see what was underneath.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:20 PM

630 posts, read 2,064,162 times
Reformatting a hard drive does not get rid of the data, there are overwrite tools you can use. BCWipe, SRM (Secure remove), WipeDrive or others. Also you just don't do a one time overwrite, a minimum of 7, but personally I do 32. So for those of you that have or are going to sell your old pc's ... make sure the data can not be retrieved, or sell the pc minus the hard drive. You can always tear the hard drive down to the platters, then degauss them or use high grit sand paper on them. Just a few suggestions ....

Old 11-05-2007, 06:28 PM

52,155 posts, read 30,219,816 times
Quote:
So for those of you that have or are going to sell your old pc's ... make sure the data can not be retrieved, or sell the pc minus the hard drive. You can always tear the hard drive down to the platters, then degauss them or use high grit sand paper on them. Just a few suggestions ....
If your computer is over 7 years old, and you put it on the market, you won't get any buyers, and if you take the hard drive out, a buyer will have a hard time finding a replacement drive for it.

When I got rid of my 486 in 1997, I took the disk drive out, took it out to the desert and used it to sight in one of my hunting rifles! - I did the same thing to the disk drive that was on the Pentium I computer I had and dismantled in early 2000.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:37 PM

49 posts, read 109,700 times
Because of "Sarbanes Oxley Act" (Enron), all incoming and outgoing emails are stored on a server. You can not delete them and they must all be backed up. All internet traffic is also logged onto the servers. It just depends on when, and who may want to look up your history. In some cases, it could be a law suit against the company that you personally aren't involved with, but if it's your department all your history will be revealed.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:50 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,028,517 times
Quote:
Reformatting a hard drive does not get rid of the data, there are overwrite tools you can use.
You're right. I stand corrected.

Quote:
BCWipe, SRM (Secure remove), WipeDrive or others. Also you just don't do a one time overwrite, a minimum of 7, but personally I do 32. So for those of you that have or are going to sell your old pc's ... make sure the data can not be retrieved, or sell the pc minus the hard drive. You can always tear the hard drive down to the platters, then degauss them or use high grit sand paper on them. Just a few suggestions ....
I actually did tear down one of my old drives and removed the platters. I ran a magnet across them first, and then bent them back and forth several times with a pair of pliers, making sure there were many dents and scratch marks all over them before finally folding them in half and tossing them in the garbage.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:41 PM

285 posts, read 989,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
thanks everyone. i think i would have been fired by now if they really wanted to bug me. it's pathetic how we seriously have no privacy in the US anymore. wire tapping phones, reading emails, surveillance cameras everywhere... a real police state. hhmm....kinda scary, actually.
Because companies have policies regarding what you can do on THEIR computers? Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or