U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:35 AM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And the 4TB drive is back, right now, as the First Shell Shocker Special this morning.
$149.99.
Tek's link is still good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
That's a great price for 4TB, although I haven't had very good luck with Seagate, personally.
Perhaps you're not the only since they apparently didn't sell as many as they'd hoped the first go round!

Thanks, Mike for the heads up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Amazon price matched newegg again (for those who prefer Amazon).

Amazon.com: Seagate Desktop HDD 4 TB SATA 6Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST4000DM000: Computers & Accessories

Old 05-22-2013, 10:36 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
And?
The longer the warranty, the less you have to self-insure against a mechanical loss. No warranty means that you'll be in the hole in the event that the hard drive experiences mechanical failure... which is not as rare as you think over an extended period of time.
Quote:
How many people have actually used or cared about the warranty?
I haven't done a study but plenty of people care and have used the warranty.
Quote:
I still have IDE drives that are over 10 years old still working fine.
Cool.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:02 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times
I wasn't/ain't too crazy for Seagate brand either but at work that is one of the brands we use a lot and they seem to be OK. Older Seagate had a reputation for running hot/noisy but the later models seem solid and their performance is comparable.

I will be using mine as a storage drive in my multimedia PC which will not serve for long hours so it should be fine.

I had to RMA both Maxtor and WD drives in the past (as recent as last year).
I never had to pay for anything and this is how I went about doing it:

- Call the vendor and go thru the usual info exchange
- Ask for a drive in advance (they take your CC info, naturally) also politely whine about how you should pay for shipping because you already lost valuable/lots of personal data, etc. They are usually very lenient and, after a short chat, they can agree to include a prepaid return label with the replacement drive.
- Wait for the replacement (typically a refurbished drive)
- Use the same packing/box and included prepaid label to return your old (bad) one.

This process simplifies shipping/packing as well as minimizing the time you are without a hard drive.

Note:
Shipping is way cheaper for vendors so it is not as big a concern for them. Bigger the company, better the shipping rates they get.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:09 PM

34,313 posts, read 59,641,709 times
I have no brand loyalty, but am looking at a DOA Seagate 1TB drive I bought last week from Newegg on a Shell Shocker.
So, back it goes. Inconvenient, but not a mission critical unit.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:29 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,329,390 times
DOA drives is one reason I like to buy locally at a store like MicroCenter with an internet price match.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:56 AM

I had a Seagate 1TB drive fail about a month into a new server set up for a client and the description below closely mirrors what happened for me. If you aren't getting the correct return method for a drive you need to contact the right people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I wasn't/ain't too crazy for Seagate brand either but at work that is one of the brands we use a lot and they seem to be OK. Older Seagate had a reputation for running hot/noisy but the later models seem solid and their performance is comparable.

I will be using mine as a storage drive in my multimedia PC which will not serve for long hours so it should be fine.

I had to RMA both Maxtor and WD drives in the past (as recent as last year).
I never had to pay for anything and this is how I went about doing it:

- Call the vendor and go thru the usual info exchange
- Ask for a drive in advance (they take your CC info, naturally) also politely whine about how you should pay for shipping because you already lost valuable/lots of personal data, etc. They are usually very lenient and, after a short chat, they can agree to include a prepaid return label with the replacement drive.
- Wait for the replacement (typically a refurbished drive)
- Use the same packing/box and included prepaid label to return your old (bad) one.

This process simplifies shipping/packing as well as minimizing the time you are without a hard drive.

Note:
Shipping is way cheaper for vendors so it is not as big a concern for them. Bigger the company, better the shipping rates they get.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 AM

Today Newegg has an external 4TB for $150 as well.

Newegg.com - Seagate 4TB Black External Hard Drive STBV4000100

You have to enter the code EMCXRVT23 to get the price.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:27 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have no brand loyalty, but am looking at a DOA Seagate 1TB drive I bought last week from Newegg on a Shell Shocker.
So, back it goes. Inconvenient, but not a mission critical unit.
I don't believe I ever had a DOA with a HD. That really shocks me considering all the QA checks they are supposed to be doing with each drive even at the vendor level.

It might be damaged during the delivery :

Ace Ventura Smashes Package - YouTube

Or at the installation level by the end user. I have seen quite a few people (even in YouTube videos), that touch every part of the drive before or during installation. Besides the potential ESD, fingers have acid, dirty, grease that could damage at least components on the integrated board.

Just like a RAM stick, never touch the (gold) pins/stripes or the silicon chips with bare hands.

Perhaps vendors trying to cut the cost so they are either checking 1 out of x number of drives or none at all?

I guess it is safer to get a "refurbished" replacement since I have never heard one of them being DOA.

Goes without saying, thoroughly check the replacement/new purchase before using it. Each manufacturer has their set of freely available tools on their web site.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:40 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,493,942 times
It's weird to me to see people complaining about Seagate quality. When I first got into the computer biz, Seagate was the standard for desktop systems. If you needed something specialized, you might choose something else based on that need, but the company I worked for sold more Seagates than anything else, by a wide margin. Keep in mind, this was when the ST-4096, a full height, 80mb (yes, megabyte) drive was either a luxury toy for rich people or was being installed into a file server.

The sticker covering the rounded end lists the known bad tracks on the drive. You actually had to input those when you formatted the drive (anyone remember g=c800:5?), or the drive wouldn't know to avoid those areas.

Ahh, the good old days.

These days, I generally consider one (major player) brand to be as good as another. They all have issues with bad batches, design flaws, controller programming goofs, etc., just at different times. I really don't put much thought into which brand of hard drive I buy, because no matter how great it is, it will eventually fail. It's not even a question - it's a guarantee. The trick isn't to get the most reliable drive (since they're all very similar in that regard anyway), it's to make sure that you have a good backup plan that will get you back up and running in whatever time frame is appropriate for the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or