Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 03:21 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times

Advertisements

I tried to upgrade my iTunes.

I got a prompt saying there was a new version available. Okay. Normal occurence. Happens a lot.

Prior to trying to upgrade my iTunes, I was unable to sync new songs onto my iPod classic. Everytime I'd connect the iPod to the computer, iTunes would freeze up. The last time I tried, I got iTunes to remain functioning long enough to "identify" my iPod, but it wouldn't sync automatically. So I thought to myself, "Maybe if I do the upgrade, it will sync okay then."

So. I go to upgrade to the new version. Per usual, I was prompted to restart my computer, which I did. Well, guess what? Windows wouldn't launch. I got a prompt, asking me to run diagnostics to check the drives. So I did that. I got that grey box that said, "Checking drives, automatically fixing errors. Your computer may restart several times during this process" (or something like that). Well when it was finished finding/fixing the errors, it prompted me to Finish, so I did. The computer went and restarted... Again, I just got a blank screen. I could see the cursor arrow, the computer was on, but Windows wouldn't boot. Second time I tried to bypass the diagnostics and just start windows manually. Again, Windows wouldn't boot. Tried the diagnostics again. Windows wouldn't boot. Played around some more. Turning it off and on, going back and forth.

Finally, after I turned the computer on again, it began scanning the C drive and tossing out bad files or something.... WINDOWS FINALLY BOOTED. Yes.

I a box that said:

igfxtray.exe - unable to locate component
This application has failed to start because hccutils.DLL was not found. Re-installing the appication may fix this problem.

As far as how the computer is functioning?

Big thing is no sound. I can go to YouTube. It'll start playing a video, but I get no sound.

None of my RealPlayer files work. The icon is missing too. See? (Photo attached.)
The RealPlayer icon is missing on all my video files on my desktop as well, as I have them set to open with RealPlayer.

When I open my iTunes library - which I have set to "shuffle" - I click play and a song will appear, but the song remains at 0:00. (Photo attached.)
I can even flip the forward arrow ahead to other songs. I get the same thing. The song title will appear and it just remains at 0:00 (Photo attached.)

Internet works okay. I can view pictures. Just no sound. Can't watch videos. Can't play music.

Can anyone help? Know what's going on? Seems to be directly related to iTunes...

Thank You!!
Attached Thumbnails
Okay so everything was mostly fine with Windows until....-itunesnoplay.jpg   Okay so everything was mostly fine with Windows until....-itunesnoplay2.jpg  
Attached Images

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 04:43 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
That appears to be multiple issues. As far as the no sound goes click

control panel >> Sytem and Security >> Sytem >> Device manager

Make sure there is no question marks next to any of the devices. If there is any question marks that means you need to install the driver for that device.

Frankly if I ever have a computer that is showing multiple issues like that I just reinstall Windows.

FYI the band from your second srceenshot stole that song title.

SCORPIONS [ RHYTHM OF LOVE ] LIVE,1991. - YouTube

Old 05-21-2013, 08:21 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,367,309 times
I'd suggest that you ignore the prompts for upgrades (just cancel 'em) and do your upgrades from your installed programs.

Some of them are spoofs and can install malwares.

Also there's scareware which are popups warning you of infections and to click on them to remedy it. Never ever click on those, instead use your installed anti-virus/anti-malware programs.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:15 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
I'd suggest that you ignore the prompts for upgrades (just cancel 'em) and do your upgrades from your installed programs.

I am aware of iTunes phishing scam:

The email informs recipients that their Apple ID was "updated" and includes a link users can click on "to review and update their security settings." The link, written as appleid.apple.com, redirects people to another Web page that looks strikingly similar to Apple's website, except that the phony Apple page includes advertisements at the bottom.

And the hijacking of iTuned users personal info but I've never read about an iTunes software update delivering a malicious payload, care to elaborate VG?

Quote:
Also there's scareware which are popups warning you of infections and to click on them to remedy it. Never ever click on those, instead use your installed anti-virus/anti-malware programs.
Did you read the OP? that has nothing to do with the problem(s) This forum has multitudes of threads with excellent guidelines and discussions on doing software upgrades, yours is a personal preference which many don't share.....

To the OP:

I would do what coalman suggests... First work on the sound problem, if you don't see any red or yellow icons next to you sound device try removing it, reboot and run Ccleaner (or your fav program) let it clean out your trash and let Ccleaner back up the registry and then run the reg cleaner...

~ reboot

Repeat above process... Make sure it's clean and no problems...

Let Windows reinstall the sound driver, if it still doesn't work follow coalmans suggestion:

Frankly if I ever have a computer that is showing multiple issues like that I just reinstall Windows.

The above is EXCELLENT advice....

Old 05-21-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
Didn't even think about that....

Old 05-22-2013, 03:06 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
You could also run the Windows System Restore program.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:49 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
It only took 6 posts to get to my first thought. Keep it simple... Then get mad if it doesn't work!

Old 05-24-2013, 06:14 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times
Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate your time and effort to post your suggestions.

Issue now resolved though. It was none of the above, but it's taken care of now.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:01 PM

It's usually helpful to post how you fixed it, if someone else finds this thread through Google or whatever they may find the solution. Same goes for those who have tried to help as they'll remember it for the next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers