U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:49 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,460,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Bring it back!
I would except that "person" proved himself to be a sleazeball in another matter that has not been resolved. I reported him to BBB, and they tell me he is not answering their inquiries and is sending their mail back marked "undeliverable." I'm sure you can see how that could be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 08:57 PM

40,284 posts, read 41,836,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Aye, there's the rub! I do not have the original disk.
You don't need the original disk, you need a disk that has windows XP home on it. I believe it needs to be the OEM version. Install and activate with your license key on the sticker. You can probably buy the disk from the manufacture for a few bucks but there are other sources. This is one of things where should just be able to download the damn thing becsue you already have the license key.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
I would except that "person" proved himself to be a sleazeball in another matter that has not been resolved. I reported him to BBB, and they tell me he is not answering their inquiries and is sending their mail back marked "undeliverable." I'm sure you can see how that could be a problem.
BBB is worthless...

Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 PM

21,550 posts, read 24,690,260 times
Just in case you need a basic computer:

HP 2000-2c34NR Notebook PC

Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You don't need the original disk, you need a disk that has windows XP home on it. I believe it needs to be the OEM version. Install and activate with your license key on the sticker. You can probably buy the disk from the manufacture for a few bucks but there are other sources. This is one of things where should just be able to download the damn thing becsue you already have the license key.
That would make sense. Too bad I'd probably mess it up.

BBB doesn't actually have any teeth. If anyone thinks to check this guy's business out, they will see my report; that is it.

O, the local police wouldn't get involved because they said it's a "civil matter." Right.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Just in case you need a basic computer:

HP 2000-2c34NR Notebook PC
Thanks for that. My real problem right now is I should have just gone out and bought a new one. Now I have nearly $200 invested. Interestingly enough, Staples is offering credit right now for old computers that can be used to buy new stuff. I might look into it, but I don't expect it would be much.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:36 PM

There is really nothing to mess up, you send away for the disk. Insert into the drive and let it do it's thing...

It's $34 dollars though and not worth it IMO. I have OEM copy of XP here that came with one of my machines and I've been able to install it on three different machines but I also had valid license keys for each machine.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a legitimate source for an OEM copy you can download.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is really nothing to mess up, you send away for the disk. Insert into the drive and let it do it's thing...
Please bear with me for just a bit longer... if I put my brand-new Win 7 Home Premium disk in the drive, and let it do it's thing, that could be a solution for me, right????

Old 05-24-2013, 10:23 AM

701 posts, read 994,365 times
I think Coalman was talking about popping that old Win XP disk and letting it do it's thing - installing itself and the necessary drivers for your machine, which was designed for Win XP.

Installing Win 7 Home Premium probably won't have any advantage over what you already have, Win 7 Ultimate - you would still need to get the hardware drivers that will make them work with Win 7 Home Premium.

As to look and feel of Win 7 Ultimate vs Home Premium, I don't see that much difference.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
I think Coalman was talking about popping that old Win XP disk and letting it do it's thing - installing itself and the necessary drivers for your machine, which was designed for Win XP.

Installing Win 7 Home Premium probably won't have any advantage over what you already have, Win 7 Ultimate - you would still need to get the hardware drivers that will make them work with Win 7 Home Premium.

As to look and feel of Win 7 Ultimate vs Home Premium, I don't see that much difference.
Thanks for your comments. I do not have the original disk. I get error messages that the drivers I need to make everything run are not available for the operating system I have installed.

I'm wondering if it's just the Ultimate version or if it's all the 7 systems, which would agree with what I have been told by our wonderful C-D-mates so far.

Any thoughts on that possibility?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or