U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 01:06 PM

4,592 posts, read 8,198,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Hello, C-D computer people! Need some help here:

I have a used VAIO, just purchased, that runs Windows 7 Ultimate. I don't like it, it's hard to use and some of the components already installed on the computer don't even work with it, like a high capacity card reader or something like that.

I'd really like to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Premium and use that instead, so here are the questions:

1. Can I install that as easily as inserting the disk and following the instructions?
2. Should Win 7 Ultimate be uninstalled, and would that be very complicated?
3. Should I just leave the Ultimate version alone and just install and choose to use the Win 7?

Any help would be appreciated. I know how to install and remove programs, but highly technical jobs are mostly a mystery to me.

Thanks!!
1 - yes - and you probably want to reformat the disk and start new. Which are options when installing a new OS from CD.
2 - there is no "uninstalling" an OS. Its the underlying system. It's basically #1 - wipe the drive and install a new OS (or the same OS).
3 - see #1.

Ultimate is a business/enterprise oriented edition of Windows 7, so it contains some additional features on top of what the HP edition provides (bitlocker encryption, unix environments, etc.). There's nothing wrong with reinstalling the HP edition (especially if you have it), but just make sure hardware wise it supports it. If your card slot isn't working now... installing HP isn't likely going to fix it. You can probably double check with Sony's site to see what drivers are available for that model of laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 01:32 PM

40,218 posts, read 41,815,454 times
Quote:
Please bear with me for just a bit longer... if I put my brand-new Win 7 Home Premium disk in the drive, and let it do it's thing, that could be a solution for me, right????

If you have one but you need a valid activation key for it. That means has to be a OEM key that wasn't previously activated or retail copy that isn't installed on another computer.

That's not the reason I'm suggesting XP, you have a very old machine and it's going run better under XP.

----edit---

I see you're having issues with drivers, it very well maybe drivers aren't available for Win7....

Old 05-24-2013, 01:34 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,459,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
1 - yes - and you probably want to reformat the disk and start new. Which are options when installing a new OS from CD.
2 - there is no "uninstalling" an OS. Its the underlying system. It's basically #1 - wipe the drive and install a new OS (or the same OS).
3 - see #1.

Ultimate is a business/enterprise oriented edition of Windows 7, so it contains some additional features on top of what the HP edition provides (bitlocker encryption, unix environments, etc.). There's nothing wrong with reinstalling the HP edition (especially if you have it), but just make sure hardware wise it supports it. If your card slot isn't working now... installing HP isn't likely going to fix it. You can probably double check with Sony's site to see what drivers are available for that model of laptop.
Hi, macroy! What you are saying sounds like what I have proposed from the start. I believe I will track someone down to do it for me, since I am not at all confident about doing a reformat/new install myself.

Yes, I do need to look up Sony drivers just to see if that would help at all first... have not done that yet.

Thanks-- I have a lot more confidence that I can just start over with this machine than I did before.

I certainly appreciate everyone's input. Any further thoughts will be welcome. There is so much to learn and I do believe it very possibly is never-ending!!

Old 05-25-2013, 08:33 AM

13,325 posts, read 20,374,795 times
Quote:
Hi, macroy! What you are saying sounds like what I have proposed from the start. I believe I will track someone down to do it for me, since I am not at all confident about doing a reformat/new install myself.

Yes, I do need to look up Sony drivers just to see if that would help at all first... have not done that yet.

Thanks-- I have a lot more confidence that I can just start over with this machine than I did before.

I certainly appreciate everyone's input. Any further thoughts will be welcome. There is so much to learn and I do believe it very possibly is never-ending!!
Don't waste your time installing Win 7 HP over Win 7 Ult. When done you will have the same issues you have now. Instead, go to Sony drivers page for your computer and see if it has Win 7 drivers for your computer. If it doesn't, see if there are Vista drivers. Those will work. That's how I got Win 7 to work on my 2006 Laptop from Dell.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:10 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,459,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Don't waste your time installing Win 7 HP over Win 7 Ult. When done you will have the same issues you have now. Instead, go to Sony drivers page for your computer and see if it has Win 7 drivers for your computer. If it doesn't, see if there are Vista drivers. Those will work. That's how I got Win 7 to work on my 2006 Laptop from Dell.
Thanks... there has to be a way!!!

Old 05-25-2013, 05:58 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Look at #7. That is the link to available drivers. There are no Vista or win7 drivers. This is a early 2004 notebook.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:12 PM

13,325 posts, read 20,374,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Look at #7. That is the link to available drivers. There are no Vista or win7 drivers. This is a early 2004 notebook.
I missed that. Looks like she needs to go with Win XP then, as was suggested earlier.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:41 PM

1,759 posts, read 3,241,108 times
If you haven't run Windows Update, try that first and see if it can fill in the missing drivers.

Another thing you could try, and this probably isn't for you if you are a computer beginner and not good at self-teaching, is try installing some kind of Linux as your operating system. Ubuntu and Linux Mint are pretty popular. If you keep that computer, I would update it to the maximum of 2GB RAM. You can use Open Office or Libre Office in place of Microsoft Office.

Otherwise, buy a recovery disk or restore disk or whatever Sony calls it, from Sony support, and install everything that's on it to put the laptop back to factory out-of-box.

But probably you'd be better off to sell it and buy something brand new but inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or