Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 02:18 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,923,522 times

Advertisements

Hello, C-D computer people! Need some help here:

I have a used VAIO, just purchased, that runs Windows 7 Ultimate. I don't like it, it's hard to use and some of the components already installed on the computer don't even work with it, like a high capacity card reader or something like that.

I'd really like to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Premium and use that instead, so here are the questions:

1. Can I install that as easily as inserting the disk and following the instructions?
2. Should Win 7 Ultimate be uninstalled, and would that be very complicated?
3. Should I just leave the Ultimate version alone and just install and choose to use the Win 7?

Any help would be appreciated. I know how to install and remove programs, but highly technical jobs are mostly a mystery to me.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 06:44 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,824,897 times
Tell us the exact model number that is on it. I know Toshibas but not Viaos. But most of the time you have to get device drivers from the manufacturer of the laptop. Sometimes you can use drivers from an alternate brandname because most laptops are made only a few manufacturers and are badges with various brand names.

All the Windows 7 variations run the exact same core (afaik), so installing Win 7 HP won't solve your problem. Even if the PC came with Windows 7 Home Premium, it had all of the features for 7 Pro and 7 Ultimate installed on it. All you had to do to upgrade versions was pay for an Anytime Upgrade key and that key would unlock the additional features.

If you don't like the Windows 7 menus, there is a free download program called Classic Shell that lets you reconfigure the menus so that they are in either Win XP or Win Vista format.

The card reader driver should be obtained from the Sony support site. If that laptop didn't originally come with Win 7, it might be that there is no driver available for it, though. You can always go buy a $10 or $13 USB card reader at WalMart or somewhere.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:53 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,662,949 times
Look at the windows label on the bottom. What version of windows does it list on it? If it doesn't have ultimate listed on it, then you may be able to either restore it (internal hidden partition) or create restore DVDs.

https://www.docs.sony.com/Release/VGNT300series_Recoveryguide.pdf

Old 05-23-2013, 07:08 PM

Thanks so much for the info. I'll try to address each of your points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Tell us the exact model number that is on it. I know Toshibas but not Viaos. But most of the time you have to get device drivers from the manufacturer of the laptop. Sometimes you can use drivers from an alternate brandname because most laptops are made only a few manufacturers and are badges with various brand names.

I turned the beast over and found: Model PCG-8Q5L (It's a SONY.) And a sticker that says, "Windows XP Home." So that probably means that the guy I bought it from changed it to Win 7 Ultimate.

I tried to find and download a proper driver but discovered that whatever it is that is installed does not have a driver for Win 7 Ultimate. I copied and pasted from the error message I got so I know I was looking for the right driver.

All the Windows 7 variations run the exact same core (afaik), so installing Win 7 HP won't solve your problem. Even if the PC came with Windows 7 Home Premium, it had all of the features for 7 Pro and 7 Ultimate installed on it. All you had to do to upgrade versions was pay for an Anytime Upgrade key and that key would unlock the additional features.

Given the above info, would an Anytime Upgrade key still apply and where do I find that? Further, there is no way I will be able to tell what the previous owner has done to the system, especially considering he turned out to be less than honest.

If you don't like the Windows 7 menus, there is a free download program called Classic Shell that lets you reconfigure the menus so that they are in either Win XP or Win Vista format.

Good news there. I will try that at some point... thanks!

The card reader driver should be obtained from the Sony support site. If that laptop didn't originally come with Win 7, it might be that there is no driver available for it, though. You can always go buy a $10 or $13 USB card reader at WalMart or somewhere.
I don't think I looked at SONY for the driver--will do. I don't think it was a USB problem, because I am using one USB port for a wireless mouse and that works.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Look at the windows label on the bottom. What version of windows does it list on it? If it doesn't have ultimate listed on it, then you may be able to either restore it (internal hidden partition) or create restore DVDs.

https://www.docs.sony.com/Release/VGNT300series_Recoveryguide.pdf
Thanks! You were correct to check on that. As stated above, it says Win XP Home. I wouldn't know enough to try either of the solutions you listed, but I will read the link you included to see if I might try it. Yikes!

PS: As stated I have a fresh copy of Win 7 Home Premium still in the box. So back to the original question, would that work?

Old 05-23-2013, 07:30 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,920,524 times
Looking up that model I see post on another fourm from 2008, it's going to run like dog with Win7 unless you have a lot of RAM.

I'd reinstall WinXP. There is number on that sticker, that can be used to activate so you only need the install disk.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Thanks! You were correct to check on that. As stated above, it says Win XP Home. I wouldn't know enough to try either of the solutions you listed, but I will read the link you included to see if I might try it. Yikes!

PS: As stated I have a fresh copy of Win 7 Home Premium still in the box. So back to the original question, would that work?
Here's a driver list

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGNA190&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab= download#/downloadTab

Just leave it the way it is. Even if you replace the OS, you're not going to get the functionality of old hardware back.

hopefully you didn't pay much for this 2004 computer.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Looking up that model I see post on another fourm from 2008, it's going to run like dog with Win7 unless you have a lot of RAM.

I'd reinstall WinXP. There is number on that sticker, that can be used to activate so you only need the install disk.
Aye, there's the rub! I do not have the original disk. The guy I bought this from, someone claiming to run a computer repair business (which I now question) said he has a license to install what he did... could be believeable under better circumstances; and that I could bring it back for problems for a short time... not gonna happen.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Here's a driver list

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGNA190&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab= download#/downloadTab

Just leave it the way it is. Even if you replace the OS, you're not going to get the functionality of old hardware back.

hopefully you didn't pay much for this 2004 computer.
I'll look at that driver info, probably tomorrow. I paid under $200, and was thinking I got what I needed, a used computer that I could mess around with... surf the net, play games, no personal/financial info entered.

I appreciate the help!

Old 05-23-2013, 07:45 PM

[quote=JoanD'Arc;29702833... and that I could bring it back for problems for a short time....[/quote]

Bring it back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers