U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2007, 10:20 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,999,417 times

Advertisements

I am trying to upload photos to my website, but they are too large- not size-wise, but file-wise. I've been told that they have too many pixles.

How do I save them to a smaller size so that they will upload?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 12:26 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,403,817 times
What format are you saving them in? If they are bitmaps, save them as jpgs. If they are gifs' try jpgs. TIFF's, try jpgs. PNG's, try jpgs. In other words, for every day, run of the mill graphics, use jpgs. If they are already jpgs, try trimming them down. Liz

Old 11-03-2007, 01:06 PM
rfb

1,913 posts, read 5,247,827 times
Get a image viewing program that lets you specify the image dimensions when saving the picture. I've used IrfanView, which is a free program that you can use to resize, crop and view images of most types. Just go to Image->Resize/Resample and enter the number of pixels you want for the height or width and then save the resulting image.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:59 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,999,417 times
wow, thanks- I just downloaded the IrfanView and tried one out- worked like a charm. Now if I can only remember what I just did!

Old 11-04-2007, 12:33 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,994,120 times
Haha that is a great program. And MSPAINT can easily do the same.

For MSPAINT all you need to do is open your image and then click "IMAGE" then "STRETCH/SKEW" on the first section it says "Stretch" all you need to do is drop the 100% to something like 80% more or less depending on the size you are trying to reach. And when you're done just click "Save As" select jpg type the name and pow! However, MSPAINT doesn't allow you to select the save quality, so it's actually pretty inferior to other programs.

For your program it's pretty similar. You select "IMAGE" then you select "Resize/resample" and choose your dimensions.

I use IfranView for the batch photo processing. It is... *smiles and puts 2 thumbs up* "VERY NICE"

Old 11-09-2007, 03:16 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,950,058 times
irfanview, excellent and free program - have used it for years.
shift-s to sharpen
ctrl-r to resize
ctrl-s to save
etc.

If interested for the Apple computers, there is this article that may be of help: Macworld: Mac Gems: Easy resizing
GC and Sizerox, The Simple Way To Resize, Rename, Crop, Rotate And Watermark Your Images. Alters TIFF/JPEG/PNG/PSD photos using drag & drop. are two that I've used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or