U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2007, 05:28 PM

18,434 posts, read 29,925,244 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a fav site for getting screensavers? I got a really neat set of them from somewhere and for the life of me I cannot remember where...

Whats your favorite site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 05:47 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,406,488 times
Webshots because they don't have spyware on them. I pay the money to become a member each year. It's worth it.

MOST screensaver sites have spyware on them. Be VERY careful. Read the EULA's on them.

Search Engine Safety, Revisited
Quote:
In January I bemoaned the sorry state of search engine results for "screensavers." I pointed out that most "screensavers" ads lead to sites I can't recommend, and I criticized search engines for their failure to enforce higher standards. But this problem goes well beyond that single keyword and that single genre of sites.

The Safety of Internet Search Engines

Quote:
Overall, the most dangerous search term is "free screensavers," which returns results that are 57% red or yellow on average. Search engines differ greatly in their results for this keyword: Yahoo! returns 72.2% red or yellow results, compared with 37.7% at AOL. So users are almost twice as likely to stumble onto a risky screensaver site using Yahoo! versus AOL.
Liz

Old 11-03-2007, 05:58 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,007,378 times
Many CD members have my picture as a screen saver. I don't charge that much.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:33 PM

169 posts, read 355,708 times
There is a freeware program (very small) called anyimage.scr. Find it on the web, d/l it
and put it in your windows directory. Then, on your desk top, right-hand mouse click, click on Properties, click on the Screensaver Tab, go halfway down the page to screensaver, click on the scroll bar, choose 'anyimage'. Then, choose the directory where you have your favorite photos, set the delay time. Bang! Your new screensaver will use whatever photos you have in the designated directory. Best results are obtained when you have formatted the photos with borders and in the proper resolution. Have fun!

Old 11-03-2007, 11:45 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,029,123 times
Screensavers are "neat" and "pretty", but I don't really get into them anymore. Especially since today's monitors don't require them because there isn't the same problem with "burn-in" that was the whole reason for their creation.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:26 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,995,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathwalker View Post
Screensavers are "neat" and "pretty", but I don't really get into them anymore. Especially since today's monitors don't require them because there isn't the same problem with "burn-in" that was the whole reason for their creation.
You'd think that would be true, however, my school has all brand new LCD monitors with horrid "image persistence". I mean HORRID. There is a nice little box everywhere that says "NO DRINKS, NO FOOD, AND NO CELLS PHONES IN THE COMPUTER LAB"

I really find screensavers to be a nuisance personally. So I just have my monitor turn off after ten minutes. Because when I walk away from my computer I don't usually get back to until the next day or at least 2 or 3 hours later.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:37 AM

for now, a rolling marquee..heehee...poet, didn't know it..

This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 2 seconds.

good grief Charlie Brown

Old 11-04-2007, 12:01 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,029,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
You'd think that would be true, however, my school has all brand new LCD monitors with horrid "image persistence". I mean HORRID. There is a nice little box everywhere that says "NO DRINKS, NO FOOD, AND NO CELLS PHONES IN THE COMPUTER LAB"

I really find screensavers to be a nuisance personally. So I just have my monitor turn off after ten minutes. Because when I walk away from my computer I don't usually get back to until the next day or at least 2 or 3 hours later.
I was actually talking about CRT monitors, but wow...I had no idea it could be a problem with LCD monitors. Interesting. Guess they're still useful, then.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:34 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcD View Post
There is a freeware program (very small) called anyimage.scr. Find it on the web, d/l it
and put it in your windows directory. Then, on your desk top, right-hand mouse click, click on Properties, click on the Screensaver Tab, go halfway down the page to screensaver, click on the scroll bar, choose 'anyimage'. Then, choose the directory where you have your favorite photos, set the delay time. Bang! Your new screensaver will use whatever photos you have in the designated directory. Best results are obtained when you have formatted the photos with borders and in the proper resolution. Have fun!
I found this didn't work until I rebooted. Don't know why. Doesn't make sense, but I didn't have the file in my list until I did.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:45 AM

Right now I put a background of a pic i found while doing a search.....I was l;ooking for Charlie Brown, and someone has remade he, Lucy, and Linus into a sort of Anime (sp) teenager, kinda neat, but Good Ole Charlie Brown looks kinda freaky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or