U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:30 AM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
How old was the computer he replaced? Have you tried loading his old CD?

You do know, even if you find an older version on CD it still will require activation.

Why don't you download AOL dial up to it and cancel it within 30 days so the account would be free. So for the 30 days, and numerous hours, he can download and activate as needed and be done with it.

http://get.aol.com/plans/index.php?regtype=client&offergrp=webreg&connectio n=nb&ncid=searchusaolp00000185&s_kwcid=TC|16916|ao l%20dial%20up||S|p|34839149754
No! AOL is almost impossible to get rid of once it's on a computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 11:57 AM

5,896 posts, read 4,421,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I have quite a dilemma. My 92 year old grandfather recently purchased a new desktop computer with windows 7 after his old desktop died. He didn't know it at the time, but his new desktop did not come with Word (or Office). Word is literally the only thing he uses his computer for. He writes letters, prints them off, and that is it. He has requested the software as his Father's Day gift.

Here is the next difficult issue. He does NOT have the internet, has no interest in getting it, and it will not happen. Therefore, IF it is possible to buy Word as a standalone product, it must come on a CD. We cannot get the software that just has the product code that he can download online.

My mom lives about 1.5 hours away and it is not feasible for her to bring the computer to her house and download the software and then take it back to his house. Besides, she has satellite internet because she lives in a rural area and I don't know how long that would take to download.

Fry's said they would download the software for him (not sure if it's just Word or all of Office), but that he would obviously need to bring the computer to them in order for that to happen and they would charge for it. That is not feasible as well because he's 92 and can barely lift anything. Even if he could lift it and put it in the car, he does not know how to put it back together once he gets home and he would have to wait for someone to come help him.

So, is it even possible to buy Word by itself, and if it is, is it possible to buy it on a disc?
Well, an option that you might want to consider is getting someone to download Abiword for you and burning it to a disc. It's pretty close to the traditional MS Word, and you're not having to install the complete suit. Not to mention that it's free.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:51 PM

21,550 posts, read 24,690,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
No! AOL is almost impossible to get rid of once it's on a computer.

It does no damage to anything and it interferes with nothing. The current version runs clean. I use it as a last resort when I can't connect through broadband or through 4G. It comes up in its own little GUI and runs just fine.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:57 AM

532 posts, read 2,132,111 times
Another vote for LIbreoffice or Openoffice... free and should do all he needs to do. You'd have to download them both and install, and see which is more similar to whatever he used to have, and delete the other. You say your mother lives 1.5 hrs away, and i assume you dont live nearby either, so this may not even be an option. Theres gotta be a computer guy in the town tho.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM

1,785 posts, read 1,973,916 times
Another good freebie is KingSoft Office.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:06 PM

4,599 posts, read 8,203,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Does he actually need MS Word ?? Could he get by with WordPad, which is included in Win 7 ??
Was thinking the same thing. Word processors certainly have a ton more options/capabilities. BUT - if he doesn't use them, and/or Wordpad is sufficient - that's probably the easiest thing to do.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:09 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,772,413 times
Why did Microsoft stop selling Office on CDROMs in retail stores?

Cost cutting?
Too many people were copying it to too many different computers?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:15 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,121,432 times
Probably a little of both. Certainly easier to control by download.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:14 PM

5,896 posts, read 4,421,807 times
AbiWord

This is all you need. It looks and acts pretty much like the "traditional" MS Word software AND you're not having to download a complete Office.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:17 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It does no damage to anything and it interferes with nothing. The current version runs clean. I use it as a last resort when I can't connect through broadband or through 4G. It comes up in its own little GUI and runs just fine.
Um, yeah. A neighbor loaded that piece of crap on my brothers PC and he spent a couple of months trying to get rid of it. He still has parts of it clogging up his PC.

Garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or