U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 03:16 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,374,387 times

Advertisements

I have quite a dilemma. My 92 year old grandfather recently purchased a new desktop computer with windows 7 after his old desktop died. He didn't know it at the time, but his new desktop did not come with Word (or Office). Word is literally the only thing he uses his computer for. He writes letters, prints them off, and that is it. He has requested the software as his Father's Day gift.

Here is the next difficult issue. He does NOT have the internet, has no interest in getting it, and it will not happen. Therefore, IF it is possible to buy Word as a standalone product, it must come on a CD. We cannot get the software that just has the product code that he can download online.

My mom lives about 1.5 hours away and it is not feasible for her to bring the computer to her house and download the software and then take it back to his house. Besides, she has satellite internet because she lives in a rural area and I don't know how long that would take to download.

Fry's said they would download the software for him (not sure if it's just Word or all of Office), but that he would obviously need to bring the computer to them in order for that to happen and they would charge for it. That is not feasible as well because he's 92 and can barely lift anything. Even if he could lift it and put it in the car, he does not know how to put it back together once he gets home and he would have to wait for someone to come help him.

So, is it even possible to buy Word by itself, and if it is, is it possible to buy it on a disc?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 03:29 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,968,627 times
Microsoft no longer distributes physical media for Microsoft Office through retail outlets.

After you purchase a Microsoft Office license, you can purchase the disc. You can find instructions how to do this here: Downloading or getting media for Office 2013 or Office 365

Microsoft no longer sells Microsoft Word as a separate component.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:40 PM

34,312 posts, read 59,633,146 times
Payin' through the nose, but here it is:

VioSoftware: Microsoft Word 2003 059-04263

I have bought from Vio before and think they are reliable.

Office 2003 will not be supported starting sometime in 2014, but that is much less an issue if he has no internet access.

Heck, I have a disc for Office '97 I will mail you if you want it.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:23 PM

28,619 posts, read 40,600,178 times
I agree with VioSoftware. I've purchased from them with no problem.

That's a great offer you made. Hopefully it's a version his grandfather could use.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:40 PM

223 posts, read 677,409 times
Which version of Office was he using previously? Word 2007 and above use something called 'Ribbon' *VERY* different User Interface. It took me a while to get used to it (and I still don't like it) and I have a CS degree.

I would suggest looking into LibreOffice, which is a very good Office alternative. It is free to download, but according to this page: LibreOffice North American Community DVD - English version You can also have a DVD shipped to you.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:04 PM

8,565 posts, read 9,805,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandre View Post
Which version of Office was he using previously? Word 2007 and above use something called 'Ribbon' *VERY* different User Interface. It took me a while to get used to it (and I still don't like it) and I have a CS degree.

I would suggest looking into LibreOffice, which is a very good Office alternative. It is free to download, but according to this page: LibreOffice North American Community DVD - English version You can also have a DVD shipped to you.
I'd second the LibreOffice. I have been a frequent user of MS Office tools on the job but never had Office rights at home. You'll ifnd the LibreOffice to be so much like the Office stuff you might just think it's an upgrade. I don't think it will disappoint. It should work seamlessly with existing MS documents.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/

Good luck..

Old 06-03-2013, 05:20 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,377,148 times
Op, why can't you just download the office install file and put it on a usb/disc for him?

Old 06-03-2013, 07:06 PM

5,416 posts, read 8,783,431 times
Default Word vs WordPad ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I have quite a dilemma. My 92 year old grandfather recently purchased a new desktop computer with windows 7 after his old desktop died. He didn't know it at the time, but his new desktop did not come with Word (or Office). Word is literally the only thing he uses his computer for. He writes letters, prints them off, and that is it. He has requested the software as his Father's Day gift.

Here is the next difficult issue. He does NOT have the internet, has no interest in getting it, and it will not happen. Therefore, IF it is possible to buy Word as a standalone product, it must come on a CD. We cannot get the software that just has the product code that he can download online.

My mom lives about 1.5 hours away and it is not feasible for her to bring the computer to her house and download the software and then take it back to his house. Besides, she has satellite internet because she lives in a rural area and I don't know how long that would take to download.

Fry's said they would download the software for him (not sure if it's just Word or all of Office), but that he would obviously need to bring the computer to them in order for that to happen and they would charge for it. That is not feasible as well because he's 92 and can barely lift anything. Even if he could lift it and put it in the car, he does not know how to put it back together once he gets home and he would have to wait for someone to come help him.

So, is it even possible to buy Word by itself, and if it is, is it possible to buy it on a disc?
Does he actually need MS Word ?? Could he get by with WordPad, which is included in Win 7 ??

Old 06-03-2013, 07:23 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,677,950 times
How old was the computer he replaced? Have you tried loading his old CD?

You do know, even if you find an older version on CD it still will require activation.

Why don't you download AOL dial up to it and cancel it within 30 days so the account would be free. So for the 30 days, and numerous hours, he can download and activate as needed and be done with it.

http://get.aol.com/plans/index.php?regtype=client&offergrp=webreg&connectio n=nb&ncid=searchusaolp00000185&s_kwcid=TC|16916|ao l%20dial%20up||S|p|34839149754

Old 06-03-2013, 07:40 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,098,321 times
office 2007 loads on window 7 normally. Its also available at amazon ; have it sent to him.125.00
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or