Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 05:35 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,978,830 times

Advertisements

I've posted it here on citi data, I want to fix this or go out and buy what I need to on the weekend. Thanks

What do I buy for notebook so I can be on the internet outside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 05:48 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,480 times
You could go a different route and get a Clear Modem. Clear used to be Clearwire, they are an internet provider. You pay a monthly fee, and they give you internet access via cell towers directly to the USB connected modem. The USB modem they provide is about as big as a ran over tube of lipstick.

If you did that you could go anywhere you get signal with your laptop and have internet access.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Get a better wireless router. Our lot is not huge, about 1/3 acre but I can get internet on my laptop or phone from anywhere in the yard since I upgraded. The original was a cheap Linksys for $39 and this Belkin Dual Band was close to $100 but well worth it. You can also buy a range extender, try Best Buy, Fry's or Amazon.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Get a better wireless router. Our lot is not huge, about 1/3 acre but I can get internet on my laptop or phone from anywhere in the yard since I upgraded. The original was a cheap Linksys for $39 and this Belkin Dual Band was close to $100 but well worth it. You can also buy a range extender, try Best Buy, Fry's or Amazon.
My router is from my dsl provider, you are saying I do not need to use this router, correct?

I can buy another, connect the phone line, the Ethernet, use the notebook in another room and also have access when outside?

Thanks for reply

Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
You could go a different route and get a Clear Modem. Clear used to be Clearwire, they are an internet provider. You pay a monthly fee, and they give you internet access via cell towers directly to the USB connected modem. The USB modem they provide is about as big as a ran over tube of lipstick.

If you did that you could go anywhere you get signal with your laptop and have internet access.
Thanks but I don't want to pay a monthly fee, I need to check things while I'm working on and off & hate to need to come into the house to check things, I just get sidetracked

Old 08-29-2013, 10:17 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
I'd first try the network adapter, I use this one on my PC and I can see my neighbors with 3 bars and it has to be 250 ft. away at the very least. I know I couldn't see it at all with the previous adapter.

You can plug it right into the USB or use the cable and mount it in a better location.

Rosewill RNX-N180UBE Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 1T2R / 5 dBi External Antenna / Up to 300Mbps Wireless Download Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP (Hex & ASCII), WPA/WPA2, WPA(TKIP with IEEE 802 - Newegg.

If that don't work you'll need to get a better router.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:53 PM

This is what the area looks like, I don't know if this will enlarge, if I click, it will enlarge

I guess my extra phone jack doesn't mean anything because I'd need a computer, laptop etc in that room, moving the PC isn't an option.

I feel like to save on costs I'd need to use another long, long Ethernet cable and run that outside which would be a giant PITA so I'd need to use a wireless, I have a lot of land and at times don't know where I'll be. I don't think I can just use the phone line. Running an invoice is easy with the notebook, I use a Tracfone for calls which I can buy the minutes I need, the expense of a smart phone etc just doesn't fit into my picture, I don't know if Tracfone offers services like the newer phones, I just haven't looked into it, I tried to get online with the Tracfone but I don't know what in the H the phone was doing, it didn't display my home page.

Ugh..

Last edited by rural lady; 08-29-2013 at 11:07 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd first try the network adapter, I use this one on my PC and I can see my neighbors with 3 bars and it has to be 250 ft. away at the very least. I know I couldn't see it at all with the previous adapter.

You can plug it right into the USB or use the cable and mount it in a better location.

Rosewill RNX-N180UBE Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 1T2R / 5 dBi External Antenna / Up to 300Mbps Wireless Download Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP (Hex & ASCII), WPA/WPA2, WPA(TKIP with IEEE 802 - Newegg.

If that don't work you'll need to get a better router.
You mean this network adapter usb gets plugged into the notebook? and somehow will talk to the wireless router?

What do you mean by seeing the neighbors bars, I don't understand, I'm in kindergarten as far as this router stuff, right now I'm on the notebook with wireless no problems, I go outside and no way Jose

Thanks for reply

Old 08-29-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
You mean this network adapter usb gets plugged into the notebook? and somehow will talk to the wireless router?

What do you mean by seeing the neighbors bars, I don't understand, I'm in kindergarten as far as this router stuff, right now I'm on the notebook with wireless no problems, I go outside and no way Jose

Thanks for reply
I see now, it plugs into the notebook and talks to the wireless router thru a radio frequency or cellphone frequency, I think its worth a try

Old 08-30-2013, 01:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
Exactly, you may already have one on the notebook but this might work better. I know that one has worked very well for me. It's not that expensive and if it doesn't work it's not really a waste of money becsue when combine it with a good router you'll have a very extensive range.

Quote:
The bars is an indicator of how strong the signal is. Down in the right hand corner next to the clock should be 5 bars if you're connected wireless, if you double click that icon you see it better. Next to the name of your router will be 5 bars, the ones in green indicate the strength of the signal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers