U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:21 AM

35,108 posts, read 41,319,700 times

Advertisements

Maybe do a system restore after you have looked elsewhere, it may put everything back that she changed but I am no computer expert that is for sure, just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 08:54 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,472,553 times
That's why people need to have a backup, either to DVD image file or to another hard drive. I back up every night to another hard drive that I bought for 59$ and took all of ten minutes to install. If your machine is a laptop you can get a external HD.

Get decent software and set it to run as often as you wish. Computer 101, 20 years ago.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:02 PM

2,868 posts, read 4,205,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
my mom did some rearranging on the computer and then took all my favorites and put them under document(she used a USB stick) and then switched us to Google chrome from internet explorer.

now when I go to documents I see all my old files that are full of favorites and link, but when I open them it says "this file is empty" or it only shows one or two of what was at least 20 links..

my question is...where are they? did they get deleted? will they only work under internet explorer? are they on the USB stick?

is there any hope of getting my liberty of links back?
I just need to understand a few things here first. What was your mothers intentions? It sounds like she was switching from IE to Chrome and wanted to preserve IE's favorites to add to Chrome, correct? It also sounds like she moved, rather than copied the IE favorites on to the flash drive.

Like Tek_Freek mentioned above "Browsers expect bookmarks to be in a specific location. If she moved them somewhere else the browser won't see them. So if they are on the PC, but in the wrong place, the browser will not display them."

I'm pretty sure that Vista and 7 store IE favorites in the same folders but I'm not near my Vista or 7 machine right now. I can tell you that XP stores IE favorites in C/Documents and Settings/Administrator/Favorites.

I think your best bet right now is to hope that your favorites are still on the flash drive that your mother used, or at least have her show you which file she transferred them in to. When and if you locate them just copy them all back into the the IE's default file location. Then, either export your IE favorites to Chrome or use the Chrome Import favorites to Chrome bookmarks feature. It's just that easy. I dumped IE years ago and that's all I had to do to transfer my IE favorites in to Chrome.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or