U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 12:11 AM

9,282 posts, read 5,866,712 times

Advertisements

my mom did some rearranging on the computer and then took all my favorites and put them under document(she used a USB stick) and then switched us to Google chrome from internet explorer.

now when I go to documents I see all my old files that are full of favorites and link, but when I open them it says "this file is empty" or it only shows one or two of what was at least 20 links..

my question is...where are they? did they get deleted? will they only work under internet explorer? are they on the USB stick?

is there any hope of getting my liberty of links back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 12:19 AM

39,918 posts, read 57,741,604 times
First of all... did you check the "Recycle bin"?

Since your mom did all the changes, did you asked her what she did with all your stuff and how to recover it?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
First of all... did you check the "Recycle bin"?

Since your mom did all the changes, did you asked her what she did with all your stuff and how to recover it?
I did ask her, she said she does not know what happened...which is really ****ing aggravating..
no i have not checked, what should i be looking for? i feel really dumb having to ask..

Old 06-08-2013, 01:23 AM

39,918 posts, read 57,741,604 times
Just click on it and see whats there. Let us know. We will proceed accordingly.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:49 AM

28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times
Are the files still on the usb stick? If she deleted them from there you may be able to get them back using a program. Same for the recycle bin elnina mentions for the PC itself.

Recuva is a good free one.

If they are still on the usb then you can just copy them to the correct file folder.

Browsers expect bookmarks to be in a specific location. If she moved them somewhere else the browser won't see them. So if they are on the PC, but in the wrong place, the browser will not display them.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Just click on it and see whats there. Let us know. We will proceed accordingly.
the recycling bin is empty...there is nothing there..any other options?

Old 06-09-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Are the files still on the usb stick? If she deleted them from there you may be able to get them back using a program. Same for the recycle bin elnina mentions for the PC itself.

Recuva is a good free one.

If they are still on the usb then you can just copy them to the correct file folder.

Browsers expect bookmarks to be in a specific location. If she moved them somewhere else the browser won't see them. So if they are on the PC, but in the wrong place, the browser will not display them.
I will give that site a look...any other things it could be..

Old 06-09-2013, 03:26 PM

28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
the recycling bin is empty...there is nothing there..any other options?
If the recycling bin is empty and it hasn't been emptied since the work was done then the favorites are probably somewhere. The question is where since they should be there if they were deleted.

Did you check the usb drive?

About the only other thing I can think of is to search for the name, or part of a name, of a favorite you remember. Start at the root of C: with the search so it will look at the entire file structure.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If the recycling bin is empty and it hasn't been emptied since the work was done then the favorites are probably somewhere. The question is where since they should be there if they were deleted.

Did you check the usb drive?

About the only other thing I can think of is to search for the name, or part of a name, of a favorite you remember. Start at the root of C: with the search so it will look at the entire file structure.
I hate to ask, but what if it was emptied?

Old 06-13-2013, 11:20 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,776,401 times
What happens when you launch IE now and pull up favorites? Are they still there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or