U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,121,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
While running my business i found that older people only used it for email to keep in contact with grand kids, etc. Other than that - no interest.
Yep:i know dozens who have no use for it at all by their choice. they only got cellphone for its safety benefit mostly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 PM

10,668 posts, read 5,069,515 times
Can relate to both types of people
(those who eschew the internet & those for whom the internet is integral part of life),
because I have "mixed feelings" about technology,
both curiosity-fuelled enthusiasms & aversive phobias.

Until ten years ago, I'd never been online-and didn't buy a computer until 2004.
Didn't get DSL (and start watching videos online) until 2011-
and I still don't have a cell phone, just a landline
(a person may be retrograde in one domain, yet contemporary in another).

Old 06-12-2013, 07:23 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,402,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
More like "59% of seniors refuse neural transceivers, still insist on typing and speaking."
We'll also be the ones not living through surrogates. We will actually go out into the word and not stay in our pods all day and night.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,059,902 times
A lot of people of a certain age don’t know how to type and are unwilling to try. I used to temp at a very high-end Manhattan law firm. We had senior partners who refused to turn on their computers. They had email, but a secretary had to print out the messages and the attorneys would dictate a response. It was a ridiculous waste of time. Nearly all of those partners will retire five to ten years.

Apple products, especially iMacs and iPads, are very popular with an older demographic because they’re user-friendly and have a lot of training options. Facetime is the killer app for people over 70. It’s hard to get them interested in online banking, but they love to video chat with grandchildren.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:04 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,912,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Our closest newspaper is a weekly publication [not my town but an adjoining town], they have no website, no email, no web presence at all.

I find that after moving to this rural area, a great many businesses are not online.
The small weekly paper here not only has a website but if you'd prefer to surscribe to the digital version you can. I've thought about it over the paper one since its easier to read the online version. The ones that want to stay alive will have to adjust.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:08 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,912,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
If we are still using google glasses then it will be seen as funny. Already they are working on contacts.

I am one of those told by my doc never to use contacts again. So there will always be a marked for the glasses unless we change the eyes too. Three surgeries later the good thing is I don't NEED the contacts now.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:46 PM

31,149 posts, read 50,327,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The small weekly paper here not only has a website but if you'd prefer to surscribe to the digital version you can. I've thought about it over the paper one since its easier to read the online version. The ones that want to stay alive will have to adjust.
If they stopped printing, they would lose their customer base. Not very many of their customers are online.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:07 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,009,720 times
I fail to understand why it is so important to the "youngsters" that the "old" people don't want a computer. There are people who prefer to live in a house while others like apartment living. There are people who drive SUVs and others love their mini-Coopers. Some people like to vacation at the beach while others love the mountains and camping.

The problem as I see it is the youngsters have no patience when teaching an older person how to use a computer. I have experienced it in my own family. If I ask one of my techno-smart sons how to do something, he'll sit down, tattoo a couple of keys and say, "It's easy." But I have no idea what he did! I realize it's very hard to do something s-l-o-w-l-y when much of it is muscle-memory. And the elder has no idea how to even turn on the damn thing while they're being told how easy it is to sign-up for Facebook!!

Also, it must be taken into consideration that many of the elderly are in nursing homes, or suffering from some form of dementia - Alzheimer's or stroke-related - or have limitations with using hands for typing. If a senior doesn't want to connect to the 'net, so be it. As long as they haven't stopped anyone else from doing so.

And e-mail has become nothing but lame jokes forwarded and rumors (unfounded) circulated willy-nilly. Few people actually send anything personal or meaningful by e-mail; they put it all on their FB page and expect me to go look it up.

Yesterday, I received a snail-mail letter from my 5th. grade granddaughter. The form was right, the spelling correct (for the most part) and she gave much information about what we're going to do this Summer. (I see her just about every day!) That letter warmed my heart because it was obvious that she was thinking of me.

It only takes a few minutes to write a note to your "old" relatives, enclose a picture of the kids, or the dog, or your new car, and drop it in the mail. They'll love it.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:16 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,782,076 times
I'm not a youngster but I don't think anyone is complaining about old folks not being "connected" ... it's more of a curiosity.
I reagrd older folks who shun technology simply because it is technology like how I regard the Amish.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,402,578 times
Doesn't this same type of debate or whatever you want to call it happen in every generation? I'm sure some young farmer was wondering why the old timers were still using a horse drawn plough after tractors were invented. Something about old dogs and new tricks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers