U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:06 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,782,076 times

Advertisements

I don't need that newfangled electricity, my kerosene lamp works just fine for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 02:16 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,009,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Doesn't this same type of debate or whatever you want to call it happen in every generation? I'm sure some young farmer was wondering why the old timers were still using a horse drawn plough after tractors were invented. Something about old dogs and new tricks.

When I got my first computer, the first e-mail I received was, "Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!?" I treasure it.

But I wanted to learn some new tricks. Still do. Make it a point to try to learn one new thing every day. I don't, however, wonder why someone isn't interested in technology. My motto? chacun, a son gout. Isn't that why they make chocolate and vanilla?

Old 06-14-2013, 12:26 AM

3,823 posts, read 13,476,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Apparently the answer is simple: they are not interested - not in the Web, e-mail, YouTube, Facebook or anything else that happens online.
Almost half of those said that "the main reason they don't go online now is because they don't think the internet is relevant to them"
Other reasons given: they don't have a computer or that it's too expensive, too difficult, or a waste of time.
Another interesting statement: "Most Americans who don't currently go online have never gone online before - and no one else in their household uses the Internet."
Why 1 in 5 U.S. adults don't use internet | WISN Home - WISN Home
The statistics: (top 20)
Internet Users - Top 20 Countries - Internet Usage
Better than US are: Korea, Japan and many European countries.
Europe Internet Usage Stats Facebook Subscribers and Population Statistics
I guess it would be safe to say that 1 in 5 U.S. adults do not use the City-Data Forums.

Read "The Other Answers" to see what people did BEFORE the internet:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8072917AAhzeSt

Old 06-14-2013, 07:52 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,402,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I guess it would be safe to say that 1 in 5 U.S. adults do not use the City-Data Forums.

Read "The Other Answers" to see what people did BEFORE the internet:

What did people do before the internet ? - Yahoo! Answers
I remember the days before the Internet. Used to go outside and play kick the can. Now these kids can play it online. They'd better just stay off my lawn if they are playing it on their phone.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:55 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,847,586 times
I have 3 ex colleagues that I see and hang out with a few times a year at the most. Growing up and having tight buddies like the ones in the movie "Stand By Me" all the way till my high school years to being almost entirely alone in the last several years, despite putting in the (diminishing by each year) effort, is driving me absolutely bunkers.

I don't have money or fame to "buy" friends and I refuse to say "I do" to some random chick so I am on the Internet. Using Internet has become something like being stuck in a relationship where you are no longer satisfied or in love yet you are too scared or lazy to leave.

Oh the irony when an IT guy starts to despise technology such as Internet.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,472,553 times
The wife who is 65 asked me a couple of months ago to teach her how to use the computer. eeeeekkkkkkkkkk!

I'm 71 and have this desktop all tricked out and nothing looks like anyone else s desktop. So I bought her a tablet. I figure why start in the past, start out fresh, as she will prolly out live me.

BTW, People still ask me to write J-Query, and .php routines for them. Started with computers back in 87 and have been doing them since. A guy has to do something in his retirement.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:26 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,582,705 times
The U.S. was actually close to 1st in internet penetration until recently. A lot of European countries have caught up with the States only in the past few years. Japan and Korea were well behind the U.S. in the 1990s as well.

I know many people who do not use the internet. None of the group homes in the company I work at have internet access, although several residents have it on their phones and others go to the library. My grandparents do not have the internet, despite my grandpa (at 80 years) being an avid texter. We tried to get them a computer about twelve years ago, but they refused. One of my uncles does not have the internet, as he is completely computer-illiterate. Many of the poor only have internet on their phones, although the trend towards mobile devices is obvious in all social classes.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:23 PM

22,566 posts, read 27,982,527 times
I chat with several people who are over 65 years old. One is 75.

Also, one of my Cadillac friends has a laptop computer with WiFi and is on facebook and he is 82 years old.

I think it's pretty impressive when those 75 or older not only have Internet connection, but are online regularly in chat rooms, forums, facebook, eBay, youtube, etc.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,847,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I think it's pretty impressive when those 75 or older not only have Internet connection, but are online regularly in chat rooms, forums, facebook, eBay, youtube, etc.
I think it would be more impressive (to me at least), if I saw a 8 yo kid who still plays outside with sticks and stones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers