U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 04:45 AM

39,944 posts, read 57,785,520 times

Advertisements

Apparently the answer is simple: they are not interested - not in the Web, e-mail, YouTube, Facebook or anything else that happens online.
Almost half of those said that "the main reason they don't go online now is because they don't think the internet is relevant to them"
Other reasons given: they don't have a computer or that it's too expensive, too difficult, or a waste of time.
Another interesting statement: "Most Americans who don't currently go online have never gone online before - and no one else in their household uses the Internet."
Why 1 in 5 U.S. adults don't use internet | WISN Home - WISN Home
The statistics: (top 20)
Internet Users - Top 20 Countries - Internet Usage
Better than US are: Korea, Japan and many European countries.
Europe Internet Usage Stats Facebook Subscribers and Population Statistics
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 09:49 AM

5,896 posts, read 4,421,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Apparently the answer is simple: they are not interested - not in the Web, e-mail, YouTube, Facebook or anything else that happens online.
Almost half of those said that "the main reason they don't go online now is because they don't think the internet is relevant to them"
Other reasons given: they don't have a computer or that it's too expensive, too difficult, or a waste of time.
Another interesting statement: "Most Americans who don't currently go online have never gone online before - and no one else in their household uses the Internet."
Why 1 in 5 U.S. adults don't use internet | WISN Home - WISN Home
The statistics: (top 20)
Internet Users - Top 20 Countries - Internet Usage
Better than US are: Korea, Japan and many European countries.
Europe Internet Usage Stats Facebook Subscribers and Population Statistics
As I figured, most of these people are older. I think once the current 30 somethings reach senior citizen age, the thoughts of someone not being "connected" will be liken to someone who doesn't have indoor plumbing.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:10 AM

14,547 posts, read 17,912,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
As I figured, most of these people are older. I think once the current 30 somethings reach senior citizen age, the thoughts of someone not being "connected" will be liken to someone who doesn't have indoor plumbing.
I remember back in the 80's when even mainframes were foreign objects to a lot of people and they suspected they were secretly going to take us over. Not an IBM box, but maybe as the AI technology moves ahead today they will, but few people are really worried about that. I'm one of that 80 percent that remembers that time but has made the laptop a key part of the household. Of course I'm an 'old timer' in the online world, starting with local bbs's.

I know who these 20 percent are... no need for a computer and no want of one since old ways work fine. Not all of them are older, but I'd guess most.

What to me is most remarkable is that way back in the sixties, we talked about the global village. Now we have it. I couldn't stand being stuck without being able to know what's going on over the hill anymore.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:05 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,782,076 times
Quote:
The people who lack home broadband access are -- not surprisingly -- from the same demographics as people who don't go online at all: mostly older, with lower educational attainment and income, or living with a disability.
I can see why having Internet access will be of no benefits to these folks. I think that it's strange for them to have never gone online before, though.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:23 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,346,982 times
People who don't use the Internet don't necessarily lack access to what the Internet has. For example, I know couples where one half uses the Internet and the other doesn't. But the non-using partner can still benefit from Internet based communication with family, pictures of the grandkids, looking up phone numbers, checking bank accounts, etc. They're just not doing it themselves.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:50 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,402,578 times
The "old ways" surely still work, but things are just hella easier by doing them online. I haven't had to go inside a bank in years! What a pain that was to take time off work to drive down to the bank and go stand in line to get something simple taken care of.

I always wonder if the people who take a hard "I'll never go online" stance think it is all Facebook and Instagram.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:02 PM

39,944 posts, read 57,785,520 times
I know few people at work (not old, 30-40's) that own top of the shelf computers/laptops and use them to... play games. They do not have e-mail address, never created any document in Word, used Google or maps, ever went to search for something, or read the news - they are not interested in anything else what could be done using computers/Internet. Even the games, they play offline.
They said Internet is "evil" ...
They also use their cell phones just for calling/texting, nothing else.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 06-10-2013 at 04:21 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 04:56 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,360,711 times
Take the time to go BACK and look at that list of world countries, and notice a country that is MISSING from the list, one that is located right NEXT door to the USA, and has one of the most "connected populations in the world"...... CANADA. It is not even mentioned, and I find that VERY strange, indeed,

Yes I am questioning the results, for sure.;

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:17 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
While running my business i found that older people only used it for email to keep in contact with grand kids, etc. Other than that - no interest.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:36 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,402,578 times
I wonder if these old folks know that you can watch old episodes of Matlock online? That'll get their numbers up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers