U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:48 AM

14,533 posts, read 16,553,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Then why has their stock dropped since this announcement?

The mighty can and do stumble and fall, witness Microsoft, witness Sony, witness Kodak....
Why did Facebook stock drop 50% in a few days? Expectations.

I've been saying I really doubt that Apple can hold onto the price premium it commands indefinitely, and when it does the stock price will have to crash. They'll still be profitable, just as Facebook is profitable. That doesn't mean you want to buy the stock right before the crash, however.

Yahoo was my big gamble on a tech stock last year. Nobody likes Yahoo, it's an old dead company that can't innovate. But you know what it can do? Churn out profits. I actually got a little nervous on my 60% return and dumped half of it around $25/share. I still have the five shares of GOOG I bought with student loan money when I was in college, but I haven't added any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:59 AM

5,896 posts, read 4,421,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
A disaster? Really? No.
iOS seriously needed a refresh.
It amazes me how people root SO HARD for Apple to fail. I just don't get it.
Don't like the products?? Fine. But would it kill you to at least be HAPPY that an american company is doing so well?
It's naive to assume the company will remain the company it was when Steve Jobs was alive. He had great vision. He was innovative. He is simple the reason why the company has been able to enjoy selling premium priced products. But, that can't and simply won't last forever. Almost every company runs into a crossroads at some point. Especially technology companies. Doesn't mean they will cease to be profitable. Doesn't mean they will "fail". Doesn't mean their products were turn to trash. Just means that they will make mistakes. Not every release will be a winner. I think they are realizing Android is beating them at the smartphone game - at least for right now.

I also don't think people are rooting for Apple to fail. That's a bit overblown. If anything, I'm rooting for Apple to continue to make great products, but to make them at a better, more competitive price. There is nothing I do for my I.T. work that can only be done, or accomplished better, on a Mac. So, I see no reason to spend $2000 on a computer just because Apple made it. I would much rather build one for a fraction of the cost, or purchase one for half the cost and run pretty much any OS I want on it.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:32 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,059,902 times
People have unrealistic expectations of Apple. No company, no matter how innovative, can create a game-changing product every year.

Apple has had a string of successes that changed the industry multiple times: the original MacOS (graphical user interface), the iMac (made all-in-ones popular), the iPod, the iPhone (the first truly popular smart phone), the MacBook Air (created an entire category of “ultra books”) and the iPad.

They didn’t create all of these technologies, but they packaged them in such a way to make them popular with the public and competitors took notice.

I think the turning point was the iPod. Up to that point, companies took years to incorporate Apple’s design innovations. After the success of the iPod, which no one has been able to match, competitors realized that they had to copy directly and immediately if they hoped to achieve market share.

For example, the original iPod was release in 2001, whereas the Zune was not release until 2006. If Google has waited five years to create Android, the market for smartphone would be very different today.

If you look at history, the general lead-time for major, game-changing releases from Apple is about five or six years. Wall Street has a short memory and is impatient.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:35 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,121,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Then why has their stock dropped since this announcement?

The mighty can and do stumble and fall, witness Microsoft, witness Sony, witness Kodak....
that is the nature of the markets is why especially technology. Just as Apples if you know the history pretty much was thought of as gone losing to Microsoft. but Bill gates knew that wasn't true and invested cash in Apple. IBM was thought to be dead. the winners are always those who buy low and sell high. has nothing to do with a company going downhill. If you look Apple is still among the top profits in the world. The markets are about gains and real gains are about when you sell; but company also make profits which means they survive. It also allows the to innovate and even buy other companies often for the employees in a very competitive market. The innovators will always have bubble in price when they come out with a new produce t and people jump o the bandwagon. Those who bought Apple when it was though dead are the same who now are often billionaires. Winners and loser. But companies especially one of the top profit makers still. Certainly those who bought Apple when it was thought to be dead under Jobs were rewarded. Apple is far from dead.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:50 AM

5,850 posts, read 11,187,955 times
getting back on track
As a graphic designer, I love what apple is doing. I've always hated the "skeuomorphism" (and hate that term even more)
As a design student I was always told to avoid visual bull $#!+.

Its going to be interesting which OS (Android or iOS) will be setting the design trends. Google has developed design standards that are just as good, if not better than what Apple is doing. On the other hand Apple has always made minimalism work.

MS always misses. The "Metro" interface is already beginning to look dated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers