U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-05-2007, 03:38 PM

18,571 posts, read 19,179,312 times
Thumbs down HP Printers "Ink cartridge expired" - fix it!

My opinion of HP gets worse and worse. They used to be the only company I ever recommended for printers. It's getting to the point that I'm warning clients not to buy them! This is one reason:

HP Printer Cartridge Expires - The Lawful Path

You have to get past the rant, but the battery in my d145 was right where he said it would be. I've removed it and will report back after I put it back in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-05-2007, 05:25 PM

It worked. Put the battery back in after 10 minutes. No more error message.

Unread 11-06-2007, 06:51 AM

2,846 posts, read 7,136,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
My opinion of HP gets worse and worse. They used to be the only company I ever recommended for printers. It's getting to the point that I'm warning clients not to buy them! This is one reason:

HP Printer Cartridge Expires - The Lawful Path

You have to get past the rant, but the battery in my d145 was right where he said it would be. I've removed it and will report back after I put it back in.

We have a d135 officejet which I like to refer to as a big paper weight! We bought it years ago at Staples. They had a different printer on sale but had none in stock so the manager offered us the d135 for the same price as the one one sale. I should have known something was afoul because the d135 was about $175 more. The printer worked fine for a couple of years and got heavy use. Then I started to have problems with the print heads, which are cleverly hidden under the print cartridges. After doing some research (fixyourownprinter.com "great site") and trying some of the fixes to rejuvenate the print heads with no results I realized it was time for new print heads. Back to Saples I go. The salesman at Staples says we don't have them in stock but they can be ordered @ nearly $45.00 each or $180.00 for the set . I then do some internet searching and find print heads for $33.00 each. It's at that point the light bulb goes on. Back to Staples I go to look at new printers. They had a hp6210 on sale for $125.00. Now I'm no mathematical wizard but I figure $132.00 for printheads (in old machine) verses $125.00 for a new one that don't have print heads and I'm going for the new one! After 1 year the new printer is still working fine and gets heavy use. I'm kind of resigned to the fact that much of todays electronics are disposable. Like V.C.R.'s or D.V.D. players. Don't buy a real expensive one and when it goes bad you can tinker with it and if you can't fix it on your own just get a new one. Anyway that's my story and don't forget Do-It-Yourself InkJet and Laser Printer Repair (HP, Apple, Epson, and More) - fixyourownprinter.com

Unread 11-06-2007, 07:34 AM

I agree with not dropping money on old equipment. I often advise clients to buy new computers instead of fixing what they have. After the questioning look that says, "Are you trying to rip me off?" I give them a breakdown of how much it will cost to fix the existing PC and how much it will cost to have me set up a new one and transfer data. Reminding them in the process that the new one will run much faster, which means work will get done quicker and productivity will go up.

I'm at about 98% for placing new computers. Some people just won't give up until my third or fourth visit for the same PC and problems that won't go away because of old components, lack of RAM, outdated OS, etc.

You just know they've been adding up the cost in their head, and are not happy with themselves. I even have had them tell me they went to other techs and asked if I was jerking them around. Apparently one said yes, then proceeded to tell them exactly what I did. Uh, hello!

It is getting harder to place older, working equipment. As the prices of new PCs, printers, etc comes down the ability of schools, churches, shelters and other groups on limited budgets to buy new equipment gets easier.

Unread 04-13-2010, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 9,798 times
I have an HP j5780 all in one. Recently refilled the HP black ink cart. for 2nd. time. (Worked fine first time). Now doesn't like! Get error message. Says cartridge needs to be replaced! Everything we have tried doesn't fix problem! Someone told me there is an e-prom somewhere in cartridge that causes this problem. Now what? Hated spending money for refill, but now that I did, I still can't use printer!!!!!! HELP!!!!!

Last edited by happy6612; 04-13-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Unread 06-10-2011, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 7,061 times
Check out my solution!!
Have 3 new in box EXPRIRED in 2007 #17 HP color cartridges that failed to print, the printer is an HP 841C.
I placed all cartridges in a ziplock bag and placed them in WATER, BROUGHT TO BOIL FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES. Let them cool off, and WALA!! Placed back into printer and now have all my great colors!!
Time will tell if this is just a temporary solution. Will it solidify again? Like I say, time will tell!
Hope this helps someone, I hated to see me lose $$.

Unread 06-10-2011, 01:11 PM

4,755 posts, read 7,136,666 times
The best printers are Canon printers; then get cheap refill cartridges through ebay, as genuine Canon inks are expensive. Epson printers jam if you don't use them frequently, thus destroying the printhead and printer.

My first printers back in the 90s were HPs. Stopped using them due to small ink cartridges.

Unread 06-10-2011, 01:18 PM

18,898 posts, read 11,935,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
The best printers are Canon printers; then get cheap refill cartridges through ebay, as genuine Canon inks are expensive. Epson printers jam if you don't use them frequently, thus destroying the printhead and printer.

My first printers back in the 90s were HPs. Stopped using them due to small ink cartridges.
You should check out the HP 8500/8500A series. Cartridges are huge and relatively cheap in terms of cost per page.

I had Canon printers... the ink cartridges are very expensive.

Unread 06-10-2011, 01:19 PM

5,639 posts, read 4,269,243 times
Another "Thread from the Crypt" comes back to life.

Unread 06-10-2011, 04:04 PM

5,955 posts, read 7,231,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Another "Thread from the Crypt" comes back to life.
Forum newbies seem to do that alot, end up here via a web search, find an ancient post, make an account and respond to said ancient post without checking the dates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers