U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 11:08 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Wow. In-depth post. Really informative. WISH I would have had your tutelage before I brought my previous laptop back. ATM I am sort of enjoying my new ASUS K53E - a laptop and company I read good things about prior to my purchase and seems to be smooth for my purposes.

I definitely will bookmark your post though. Is the Windows 8 system going to be an issue for me in the near future? One of the articles I read said eventually 8 will be more beneficial for people who want to streamline systems and so on. I'm not really tech savvy but it would be interesting to know how an intelligent tech person like yourself sees the Windows systems evolution in the near and foreseeable future.
They've made a lot of "under the hood" improvements with Win8 so it runs faster than Win7 and supports newer things. But Win7 is going to be around for a long time. It'll be a long time before some new program you want refuses to install because your OS is out of date. You'll be onto your next laptop long before that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 10:50 AM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I install Start8 for people. You can get it at stardock.com. I leave it at the default settings except I check the box to disable the all screen corner/edge popups while in the desktop.

Also, I use the following registry edit to disable the lock screen which serves no purpose on a desktop or laptop: Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Win dows and create a key called Personalization. Inside Personalization, create a REG_DWORD value named NoLockScreen and set its value to 1.

The last thing I do is associate media files with the desktop viewers instead of the metro/modern/tablet/crap viewers. Right click on a file and click open with .. choose default program. For graphics files like jpg, tif, bmp, etc, choose Windows Photo Viewer. For audio and videos like mp3, wma, wmv, m4v, etc, choose Windows Media Player. You'll have to repeat this for each file type.

Many Win8 PCs don't come with a PDF reader now because Win8 has a crappy metro/modern viewer. If you install Acrobat Reader it'll grab the association automatically.

These associations are for a pretty standard Windows installation. If you have a different media player or PDF reader, it should take the associations automatically when you install it, or at least ask for permission. If not, you can manually associate the various file types with that program instead of Microsoft or Adobe's.

The goal is to keep people in the desktop and not find themselves suddenly in a land with no taskbar, close button, back button, etc.

Another thing, when starting a Win8 PC for the first time, they'll try to get you to log on with your Microsoft ID. If you don't have one, they'll ask for your email address. I ignore this. It'll make it so you have to always enter your password to log on which is something most people don't want or need. It'll also attempt to have you use the crappy metro/modern email app which is something a summer intern slapped together in about a day. Its nearly useless. For people still using POP3 email, I install Windows Live Mail which is as close to what they really want (Outlook Express) as a modern PC is going to get.
This is the type of information we need to see regarding Windows Hate fixes. Excellent job, as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or