U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:16 AM

5,896 posts, read 4,421,807 times

Advertisements

I would scrap this computer and buy a new one. For around $500, you can purchase a new Dell laptop with an i5 processor, over 700 GB of storage, 17" HD screen, 6 GB of Ram, Windows 8, etc... For your needs, you don't need to go out and spend over $2000 for an Apple Macbook unless money is no object.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 10:53 AM

5,115 posts, read 4,723,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E530 6272-4GU 15.6-Inch Laptop

(BTW, my latest Lenovo has a sturdier power connector and has held up well so far...it may only be on the bigger models ... mine is a W520)
Word of Warning:

The W520 is a true Thinkpad while the Thinkpad Edge series is one of Lenovo's budget lines. Original flavor Thinkpads are built like tanks while Lenovo cut some corners with the Edge series.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:46 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,121,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
Thanks for the replies. It seems like I should buy a new computer......ugh just don't feel like dealing with the stress of laptop shopping! Unfortunately, I don't think I would ever be comfortable buying a mac, I'm just too used to pc's. unfortunately, my hatred of windows 8 could potentially sway me!

Thanks again!
Plenty of window 7 laptops available from HP and Dell probably a lot of others I haven't seen.Go to their sites and look for windows 7 link or do a search on sites.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:30 PM

2,766 posts, read 3,063,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Word of Warning:

The W520 is a true Thinkpad while the Thinkpad Edge series is one of Lenovo's budget lines. Original flavor Thinkpads are built like tanks while Lenovo cut some corners with the Edge series.
Sounds right...I'm not familiar with many of the non-Thinkpad lines, that's why I also suggested that the OP do his/her homework (on the myriad of lines and models, within any manufacturer)...it is pretty easy with the 'net.

...and why I recommend extended warranties on most any laptop regularly carried or moved (and dropped?) ...which should be about all of them, else why buy a laptop?

Old 06-18-2013, 02:50 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,346,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Word of Warning:

Honestly, I don't think Lenovo's "budget" laptops are any worse than everyone else's similarly priced laptops. They're just not the tanks that the real Thinkpads are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or