U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 04:57 PM

1,044 posts, read 4,068,329 times

Advertisements

Aloha everyone!

I have been going back and forth on this issue since Thursday and I still can't decide what to do. So maybe someone out there can give me some direction...

I currently own an Asus A53e which has been a pretty decent computer for the year and a half that I've owned it. I typically use my laptop for photo editing, watching videos, browsing...I'm a typical 20something computer user.

Anyways about 2 months ago, the mousepad on the laptop stopped working. I could move the pointer but I could not use the buttons to click, so I bought an external mouse, NBD.

About 3 weeks ago, my computer would not turn on and my repairman advised that the plug-in jack was no longer able to accept a charge. Unfortunately, the jack is soddered in there real good and I need to replace the motherboard. With labor and parts, I'm looking at a $175 bill.

I'm torn as to whether I should just cough up some more money for a new computer, what with two problems under my belt w/ this comp already, or if I should stick with the repairs and hope it will last a while. I'm hesitant b/c I had my last comp repaired and it totally putzed out a month or two later.

Any input? I'm totally indecisive...

Mahalo!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 07:57 PM

14,385 posts, read 21,063,143 times
Default Buy a new one.

This
Configure - Apple Store (U.S.)
+ AppleCare

Old 06-16-2013, 09:00 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,707,474 times
Given what that machine cost new, I'd be tempted to scrap it. Apparently the power connector issue is a well known problem (which leads me to think it's particularly bad on this machine, given that virtually all consumer machines suffer from power connector issues and have since basically forever).
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Perhaps before suggesting a particular machine to buy, you could consider things like the poster's budget, needs, etc?

Old 06-16-2013, 09:04 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,341,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Perhaps before suggesting a particular machine to buy, you could consider things like the poster's budget, needs, etc?
That's not how iFanbois work.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:07 AM

1,044 posts, read 4,068,329 times
Thanks for the replies. It seems like I should buy a new computer......ugh just don't feel like dealing with the stress of laptop shopping! Unfortunately, I don't think I would ever be comfortable buying a mac, I'm just too used to pc's. unfortunately, my hatred of windows 8 could potentially sway me!

Thanks again!

Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,062,518 times
(IMO)...unless you LOVE it, I would consider moving on, especially if you can salvage any important data.

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E530 6272-4GU 15.6-Inch Laptop

There are still some Win 7 good laptops around. Look at Lenovo among others you like. The above is one example, there are of course other models but Win 8 is gaining ground. I have not used this model... do your homework. Google will help you find others...but don't wait too long.

Be sure to shop Lenovo's direct sales site too...they run specials.

(BTW, my latest Lenovo has a sturdier power connector and has held up well so far...it may only be on the bigger models ... mine is a W520)

Finally, laptops are one thing I normally pay for an extended warranty to (3 years if reasonable) ...regardless of what it is. They do tend to get some mishandling besides the normal component failure.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:23 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,707,474 times
Business class (Dell Latitude E6xxx, Lenovo Thinkpad T, X, W, HP EliteBook) is really the way to go if you don't want to be dealing with similar issues in another year. Look around for a coupon (Lenovo often has ~20% off) and the price is about the same as a disposable laptop. Some of the nicer ultrabooks are built well and would probably hold up since they tend to be made of better materials and are much lighter so you won't put as much stress on the internals when you pick it up, but many of those come at a hefty price.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:11 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,058,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
I'm torn as to whether I should just cough up some more money for a new computer, what with two problems under my belt w/ this comp already, or if I should stick with the repairs and hope it will last a while. I'm hesitant b/c I had my last comp repaired and it totally putzed out a month or two later.
The problem with “budget” laptops is that the profit margin for the manufacturer is extremely low and thus there is great incentive to cut corners in build quality. What’s more, even with careful use, laptops are exposed constant wear and tear—much more than a desktop.

You model may be a lemon. Or it may be running up against the fundamental market challenges of making a budget laptop.

I don’t know your financial circumstances, but with laptops, you get what you pay for.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:05 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,776,401 times
You can look for a cheaper place to repair it like this guy who'll do it for $69:

Asus A53E AC DC Power Jack Repair - YouTube

Old 06-18-2013, 08:24 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That's not how iFanbois work.
Head of nail, meet hammer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or