U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:02 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
Interesting. Did you just drive around and see where your WiFi worked? I have a Samsung Galaxy 3 also and was just thinking that it may work over in the US if I just get a new SIMcard. I have a Dell laptop but am wanting to upgrade and didn't want to have to buy new power source/transmitter as AU is on 220 and USA is on 110. I've had other issues before trying to change the electricity over so thought I would just buy new. Will check on Verizon too. Thanks.
In the US, one does not have to drive around to find WIFI. There are lists on the internet. As per your S3, yes by changing out your micro SIM card it can be re-used on other systems. I purchase SIMs from eBay for around $6USD. As to your Dell, look at the DC adapter it should say 100/240v 50/60 cycle on it. If it doesn't then just buy a new DC adapter (less than $20USD on ebay.com). Usually when I travel I carry a bag of plug adapters with me.

This is what the plug head need to be converted too:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 01:18 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,776,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
Interesting. Did you just drive around and see where your WiFi worked?
Just until you find a Starbucks, which are like cockroaches.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:35 PM

16,724 posts, read 29,321,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
Get a samsung galaxy s4 and you will have the best of both worlds (cell/tablets).

iPAD is a bad investment, you cannot change its battery. And steve jobs is dead he was the brain of that company that company will eventually collapse. Samsung is already destroying apple in the cell market.
I guess that you have forgotten that the iPhone was being built by Samsung? As such this company already knows how the iPhone works and looks

Still have an original iPad. The battery has never needed replacing. Still have an original iPod with the click wheel, and it works like day one. Still have a 1st generation iPod Touch, no problems whatsoever.

It's true that Samsung is celling a lot of cell phones, but Apple is the dominant force in the tablet market, and the one with the most quality apps ever. Don't believe me? Virgin Airlines as well as the rest, includes the iPad as a feature in their flights. The iPad is used in most hotels throughout the world. In fact, the iPad is the most widely used gadget in the airlines, hotels, and tourism industries.

http://marketingland.com/tablet-mark...s-growth-45974

50-billion apps and counting (old news):
http://www.apple.com/itunes/50-billion-app-countdown/

Last edited by RayinAK; 06-23-2013 at 07:44 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 03:39 PM

432 posts, read 1,074,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
In the US, one does not have to drive around to find WIFI. There are lists on the internet. As per your S3, yes by changing out your micro SIM card it can be re-used on other systems. I purchase SIMs from eBay for around $6USD. As to your Dell, look at the DC adapter it should say 100/240v 50/60 cycle on it. If it doesn't then just buy a new DC adapter (less than $20USD on ebay.com). Usually when I travel I carry a bag of plug adapters with me.

This is what the plug head need to be converted too:
Thanks for the photos! I do use the adapters now for my hair dryer as I travel quite regularly. I have decided to give my Dell laptop to a friend in Australia, its heavy and time for an upgrade so I won't need adapters.

So many choices, I will just need to make sure that I am not suffering jet lag when I go shopping so I don't make a wrong purchase!

Old 06-27-2013, 03:44 PM

432 posts, read 1,074,106 times
Great responses everyone! So many choices looking online. Getting a "little" bit of understanding now of what to look for and what is probably not required for my use.

Always good to read others opinions as it will help with my decisions... only 3 weeks to go before I move, woo hoo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers