U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 06:14 PM

432 posts, read 1,074,015 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, I currently live in Australia and am moving to MN so do not know anything about buying these devices there. (Will also put this in the MN forum as I am moving there and need to know local information)

I am planning on buying an IPad? and a new cell phone right (not sure if Iphone probably -or android smart phone) - open to anything that will suit my purposes.

I use the internet (of course), use photography software and then basic word documents, I do not run a business so no need to use for that purpose. So the link below I may not need all of that stuff, just looking for a good computer device and cell phone and appreciate any suggestions.

Been looking at Bestbuy and they have
Apple® - iPad® with Retina® display - Wi-Fi + Cellular (AT&T) - 32GB - Black

I am not sure I understand what is actually included when it says + Cellular, does that mean I get a separate mobile device or do I do phone communications over the IPad? Of course I would want a handheld cell phone as I would not want to carry an IPad around with me.

As I am not sure exactly where I will be living but expect to be Mpls city or west/southwest of Mpls ie Plymouth, St Louis Park, Eden Prairie, Bloomington areas all depending on where my job will be located.

Is AT&T a good company with fast internet speeds and good cell coverage? Or what other internet companies is better?

Do you get "taken" for more money if you did a package deal as above? Is it better to purchase all devices separately? Pay cash and have the device "unlocked" so I can use any communication company? I am a novice at setting up different devices, I just want to be able to turn on, download and go.

Currently I buy prepaid credit for my cell phone in Australia and have unlimited calls nationally and text messages included in the price. I also get with the plan wireless internet access of 4GB per month that I use my laptop for. I pay $39.90 a month which serves all my purposes with phone and computer and would like to find a similar type of plan.

Would Bestbuy be a good store to get a decent deal or is there another store on west side of Mpls that would be better to go to?

I know I haven't asked all the questions I need to know about and appreciate any replies to help me out. Sale persons have only basic knowledge and just want to sell anything. Only a couple more weeks and I will be there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 06:56 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,057,485 times
iPads come with WiFi only or cellular. The difference is how they connect to the internet. With WiFi only you connect through WiFi, either at home, work, or hotspot. With cellular, you connect via a cellular signal when WiFi is not available (much like a phone). It gives you internet access anywhere you get cell service. However, there is a monthly fee for the service, whereas WiFi is free.

It really depends on how you’re using the device. If you only use it at home and already have WiFi, a WiFi only version is fine. (It’s what I have.) However, if you want to access the internet on your commute, or other places that might not have WiFi, you should get the Cellular version.

If you want an iPad, I would recommend getting an iPhone as well. The advantage is that your devices with sync seamlessly (email, contacts, calendar, etc.) and you only have to buy apps once. If you choose two separate platforms you will duplicate your apps, which is a waste of money.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:48 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,677,950 times
If you are going to buy a cellphone and a iPad, then you don't need to pay extra for the iPad with cellular. Just get a cellphone that has Hotspot capability and your iPad would connect to the internet through the phone.

As to ATT:
http://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html#fbid=QXzavJH6R81

Old 06-22-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
iPads come with WiFi only or cellular. The difference is how they connect to the internet. With WiFi only you connect through WiFi, either at home, work, or hotspot. With cellular, you connect via a cellular signal when WiFi is not available (much like a phone). It gives you internet access anywhere you get cell service. However, there is a monthly fee for the service, whereas WiFi is free.

It really depends on how you’re using the device. If you only use it at home and already have WiFi, a WiFi only version is fine. (It’s what I have.) However, if you want to access the internet on your commute, or other places that might not have WiFi, you should get the Cellular version.

If you want an iPad, I would recommend getting an iPhone as well. The advantage is that your devices with sync seamlessly (email, contacts, calendar, etc.) and you only have to buy apps once. If you choose two separate platforms you will duplicate your apps, which is a waste of money.
Thanks for that advice, I was thinking it was best to stay with IPad and Iphone and being able to sync makes it sound so much easier. How can WiFi be free? Would you not have to have a monthly bill/plan with a communications company like AT& T or similar?

Would I just be able to rent an apartment and get it for free? Isn't there more security issues if you just use WiFi? Does that mean anyone else could just pick up your signal and link into your computer say when you are doing your online banking? I will have to read up on WiFi more so I understand.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
If you are going to buy a cellphone and a iPad, then you don't need to pay extra for the iPad with cellular. Just get a cellphone that has Hotspot capability and your iPad would connect to the internet through the phone.

As to ATT:
http://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html#fbid=QXzavJH6R81
Thanks for that information. Good to know that I don't need to spend the extra money for cellular. I assume that is what I do now in Australia, I connect my cell phone to my laptop to be able to use internet, here we call it wireless. If you have a home phone with land line wiring that is called dial up connection,
I don't have a home phone, it costs too much and no need, I just use my cell phone.

AT & T coverage looks good for Minneapolis area. I will need to research some of the local communication companies and their plans.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:23 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,057,485 times
Many people pay to have WiFi at home: either as part of their cable service or from the phone company (DSL).

My point is that if you already have WiFi and use your iPad mainly at home, the cellular version would be unnecessary. However, if you don’t have WiFi, the cellular version might be a good option depending on your data plan.

Yes, you can use your phone as a mobile hotspot, but if you’re streaming YouTube videos, it’ll eat up your data limit very quickly and could get extremely expensive. Very few (if any) cell companies offer unlimited data anymore. I have it, but I was grandfathered in because I had an original iPhone.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:52 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,677,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
Thanks for that advice, .... How can WiFi be free? ...
There are multiple locations outside of the home, where someone can get free WIFI. For example, I keep a list of locations (retail/hotels/restaurants) that have free WIFI that require no password. So instead of using my Cell to download emails while I'm out and about, I park my car nearby that my iPad picks up the WIFI signal and I download all my emails. I use a Samsung S3 Cell and it has a easy WiFi finder built in to it.

As to cell companies, I prefer Verizon since I work outside the US and at a minimum my phone has always worked. The other functions of the smartphones work sporadically as not all countries use the same data transmission systems. So most of the time my cellphone messages don't get to me until I enter the US or I call into the system through a hardline. I have a better chance of getting my emails on my cell when I find a WIFI location outside the US and connect to their system (usually hotels).

Old 06-23-2013, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
There are multiple locations outside of the home, where someone can get free WIFI. For example, I keep a list of locations (retail/hotels/restaurants) that have free WIFI that require no password. So instead of using my Cell to download emails while I'm out and about, I park my car nearby that my iPad picks up the WIFI signal and I download all my emails. I use a Samsung S3 Cell and it has a easy WiFi finder built in to it.

As to cell companies, I prefer Verizon since I work outside the US and at a minimum my phone has always worked. The other functions of the smartphones work sporadically as not all countries use the same data transmission systems. So most of the time my cellphone messages don't get to me until I enter the US or I call into the system through a hardline. I have a better chance of getting my emails on my cell when I find a WIFI location outside the US and connect to their system (usually hotels).
Interesting. Did you just drive around and see where your WiFi worked? I have a Samsung Galaxy 3 also and was just thinking that it may work over in the US if I just get a new SIMcard. I have a Dell laptop but am wanting to upgrade and didn't want to have to buy new power source/transmitter as AU is on 220 and USA is on 110. I've had other issues before trying to change the electricity over so thought I would just buy new. Will check on Verizon too. Thanks.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Many people pay to have WiFi at home: either as part of their cable service or from the phone company (DSL).

My point is that if you already have WiFi and use your iPad mainly at home, the cellular version would be unnecessary. However, if you don’t have WiFi, the cellular version might be a good option depending on your data plan.

Yes, you can use your phone as a mobile hotspot, but if you’re streaming YouTube videos, it’ll eat up your data limit very quickly and could get extremely expensive. Very few (if any) cell companies offer unlimited data anymore. I have it, but I was grandfathered in because I had an original iPhone.
Thanks for making all this easier to understand.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:44 AM

320 posts, read 494,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
Hi Everyone, I currently live in Australia and am moving to MN so do not know anything about buying these devices there. (Will also put this in the MN forum as I am moving there and need to know local information)

I am planning on buying an IPad? and a new cell phone right (not sure if Iphone probably -or android smart phone) - open to anything that will suit my purposes.

I use the internet (of course), use photography software and then basic word documents, I do not run a business so no need to use for that purpose. So the link below I may not need all of that stuff, just looking for a good computer device and cell phone and appreciate any suggestions.

Been looking at Bestbuy and they have
Apple® - iPad® with Retina® display - Wi-Fi + Cellular (AT&T) - 32GB - Black

I am not sure I understand what is actually included when it says + Cellular, does that mean I get a separate mobile device or do I do phone communications over the IPad? Of course I would want a handheld cell phone as I would not want to carry an IPad around with me.

As I am not sure exactly where I will be living but expect to be Mpls city or west/southwest of Mpls ie Plymouth, St Louis Park, Eden Prairie, Bloomington areas all depending on where my job will be located.

Is AT&T a good company with fast internet speeds and good cell coverage? Or what other internet companies is better?

Do you get "taken" for more money if you did a package deal as above? Is it better to purchase all devices separately? Pay cash and have the device "unlocked" so I can use any communication company? I am a novice at setting up different devices, I just want to be able to turn on, download and go.

Currently I buy prepaid credit for my cell phone in Australia and have unlimited calls nationally and text messages included in the price. I also get with the plan wireless internet access of 4GB per month that I use my laptop for. I pay $39.90 a month which serves all my purposes with phone and computer and would like to find a similar type of plan.

Would Bestbuy be a good store to get a decent deal or is there another store on west side of Mpls that would be better to go to?

I know I haven't asked all the questions I need to know about and appreciate any replies to help me out. Sale persons have only basic knowledge and just want to sell anything. Only a couple more weeks and I will be there!
Get a samsung galaxy s4 and you will have the best of both worlds (cell/tablets).

iPAD is a bad investment, you cannot change its battery. And steve jobs is dead he was the brain of that company that company will eventually collapse. Samsung is already destroying apple in the cell market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers