U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 02:01 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,203,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Have it shipped to your neighbor or friend or work.
Also Skunk Workz I saw your post, both of you--I appreciate the helpful tips & demeanor, but my policy is I just refuse to do business with a company that can't accommodate my PO box needs. It's not like some real pain in the rear-end situations like, say, living on a military base or in Hawaii or Guam etc. PO Boxes are EASY, heck they've GOT to be easier to deal with vs searching and hunting all over the place for everyone's house, especially if the directions are "the 3rd house on the left behind the shed with the shredded Texas flag on a purple pole." Also, even when I've given in & went ahead with using my physical address and bought from them, the shipper has ALWAYS had a heck of a time finding me & in fact a few times I just flat-out never received the item. It's a HUGE hassle on my end. (Again, has UPS never heard of GPS coordinates?)

Yes, I know, sometimes the vendor has a contractual arrangement with DHL or whatever because of lower prices & that's the reason for this, in such a case oh well I guess--but I have encountered sellers who use USPS as a shipper but STILL won't ship to a PO box as a matter of policy (concerns over fraud or some silly mess like that), those are the ones I have a problem with. I encounter this VERY often & I'm tired of it. I think it's silly. Heck I think it should be illegal, frankly (again I'm talking about those who use USPS but still refuse to ship to a PO Box, not those who have a contract with FedEx etc and are dealing with the practices of FedEx).

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 06-24-2013 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 02:21 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,776,401 times
Try geeks.com, they have lots of refurbed routers for around $10-$15.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:16 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,203,576 times
All's well that ends well--I found a spare Belkin Router I had sitting around & forgotten about, a Wireless G MIMO ver 3100 #F5D9230-4, and it fired right up quickly. All I had to do was unplug the modem, plug in the wires, plug the modem back in, plug in the router--after fooling around in the browser, mainly trying Yahoo.Com a couple of times & logging into the router (http://192.168.2.1) but never changing anything, I saw the network icon in the bottom right (Windows 7) remove the "!" and show a "normal" view.

Tried out yahoo.com in another tab--BINGO! That was all it took. Setting up wi-fi--I had to unplug everything once to get the login to "take" again, and when saving changes it timed out, but re-navigating to 192.168.2.1 & going back to the same sections showed it had saved the changes.

Wired and wireless devices--all running perfectly on it now.

How much did I pay for this router? 50 cents, about 4 months ago at a garage sale down the road, it was sitting in my "bag of spare parts" just waiting for this day.

Love it!

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 06-24-2013 at 04:32 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 04:39 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,681,268 times
FWIW I installed a SMC router over the weekend. It connected to the internet and updated itself. It then gave a popup on the computer wired to it, asked for a password to be set for access and wifi and it was done in 5 minutes. Adding computers to the network via wifi took less than a minute each and they are all running in excess of 50/10. It replaced the WRT54G which the further I got away from the router the weaker the signal. The SMC seems to not have that issue unless there is heavy load of wifi units powered on. The SMC is a 300/150.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:39 PM

1,759 posts, read 3,241,108 times
I have two Netgear N routers, at different houses:
WNR2000 version 3 that I bought new
WNDR3400 dual band, version 1 reburb that I got for $32 on ebay

I use the Netgear firmware. Easy-peasy to set up. I like the dual-band router in apartments because not many people use the 5GHz band in most places but the 2.4GHz is swamped.

Netgear has a good support forum, too. The WNDR3400 kept dropping connections, and thanks to the forum, I learned that it was due to buggy firmware. The solution was to flash it back to an older firmware, run it a while, and they re-flash to the new firmware using a specific procedure. Very cool to have a great forum to refer to. :-)

Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,776,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
I have two Netgear N routers, at different houses:
WNR2000 version 3 that I bought new
WNDR3400 dual band, version 1 reburb that I got for $32 on ebay

I use the Netgear firmware. Easy-peasy to set up. I like the dual-band router in apartments because not many people use the 5GHz band in most places but the 2.4GHz is swamped.

Netgear has a good support forum, too. The WNDR3400 kept dropping connections, and thanks to the forum, I learned that it was due to buggy firmware. The solution was to flash it back to an older firmware, run it a while, and they re-flash to the new firmware using a specific procedure. Very cool to have a great forum to refer to. :-)
Can you provide a link to that procedure? I've a WNDR3400 as well.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:20 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,419,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
All's well that ends well--I found a spare Belkin Router I had sitting around & forgotten about, a Wireless G MIMO ver 3100 #F5D9230-4, and it fired right up quickly. All I had to do was unplug the modem, plug in the wires, plug the modem back in, plug in the router--after fooling around in the browser, mainly trying Yahoo.Com a couple of times & logging into the router (http://192.168.2.1) but never changing anything, I saw the network icon in the bottom right (Windows 7) remove the "!" and show a "normal" view.

Tried out yahoo.com in another tab--BINGO! That was all it took. Setting up wi-fi--I had to unplug everything once to get the login to "take" again, and when saving changes it timed out, but re-navigating to 192.168.2.1 & going back to the same sections showed it had saved the changes.

Wired and wireless devices--all running perfectly on it now.

How much did I pay for this router? 50 cents, about 4 months ago at a garage sale down the road, it was sitting in my "bag of spare parts" just waiting for this day.

Love it!

LRH
Can't beat that price! Unless it was free, lol! Did you set up the Web Encryption?

Old 06-26-2013, 04:07 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,578,065 times
CISCO CISCO871W-G-A-K9 Integrated Services Routers for Small Offices - Newegg.com

It is isn't your average consumer line product, good none the less.

Not super "cheap", but... well... the power and control you have is complete. It is EOS though, so you can likely find a good price on Ebay (think I saw some for around $170), the 881w is the replacement, but it will be a bit more pricey.

If you are network techie, you can use the CLI to do your configurations, but if not... no worries, Cisco SDM is a ridiculously easy to use GUI of even very complex configurations.

Maybe more power under the hood than you need, but... in terms of speed, reliability, features and configurations, its up there in the top. Maybe I am biased, but I love absolute control over my devices.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:53 PM

10,123 posts, read 14,360,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
If you don't have the mega fast internet speeds, like Google Fiber or something like that, you'd probably be just fine getting a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. These suckers last a long time, come pretty much configured, have the encryption already enabled. I think this router would give you what you're looking for and you'd probably be able to use it for several more years. You can even find these on eBay dirt cheap, loaded with DD-WRT on them.
I run Tomato and love it.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:44 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times
I am using Wi Fi direct at home and really like it. Auto setup and created another work network for all wireless devices. No dropped setting or going into the router since its controlled thru administrative computer. It allows working between any wireless device. One thing is tho the administrative computer has to be on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers