U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:47 PM

1,759 posts, read 3,241,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Can you provide a link to that procedure? I've a WNDR3400 as well.

The first router I set up was the WNR2000 V3 and I didn't know wth I was doing (haha) so I downloaded Netgear Genie NETGEAR Genie and used the Router Settings button in there.

But since then, I just use my browser and "routerlogin.com" or "routerlogin.net" and type in "admin" and my password in the popup box. If you or previous owner didn't set a password yet, the default pasword = password. The reset button on the router will flush all old settings and passwords back to default values, too.

That WNDR3400 V1 that I have, the "50" firmware was said to be buggy. But I got it working, except that the blue light will never turn off. The Netgear forum has a detailed procedure for flashing these things, and for best results don't let the router upgrade automatically. You want to download the firmware to laptop or PC, have the laptop or PC connected to the router via ethernet cable not wifi, then manually flash the thing, then do a power cycle and reset. see WNDR3400 V1 Firmware 1.0.0.50 - Page 2 - NETGEAR Forums and there are other threads referencing the same thing.

I don't know if the 3400 V2 / V3 are as quirky as V1, but my V1 did okay on the newest firmware after flashing back to 34or 38 or whatever it was, then flash up to 50,and power cycle and total reset like the various threads in that forum say to do.

There's no Netgear subforum for the 3400s. You just have to search through the Rangemax forum. Path is per this pic, attached.

eta: I used inssider program to check signal strength and to decide what channels to use to avoid interference from neighbor's networks. I found that the 5GHz signal strength on my 3400 V1 is always lower than the 2.4GHz, by the way. As I said, mine's a refurb.
Attached Thumbnails
Frustration Configuring Wireless Routers-netgear3400.jpg  

Last edited by SorryIMovedBack; 07-01-2013 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:28 AM

1,759 posts, read 3,241,741 times
snips from that Netgear board for how to flash their firmware:

Quote:
Re: WNDR3400 V1 Firmware 1.0.0.50
To anyone having dropped connections, as I have had the same problem after the firmware upgrade, you must follow these instructions EXACTLY to avoid this problem:

To Upgrade

Note: Do not upgrade the firmware using a wireless connection. Please perform firmware upgrade with “wired” or Ethernet connection only.

*You must reset the router to factory defaults after the upgrade.*

Write down all the settings which you changed from the default values, since you may need to reenter them manually.
Download the firmware from Netgear's site to a convenient place such as your desktop.

Log in to the router using a Web browser. The URL is http://192.168.1.1 ( if you did not change the router’s IP address ).
(or routerlogin.com, routerlogin.net)
Click Maintenance > Router Upgrade
Click Browse and find the file you just downloaded.
Click Upload. Do not interrupt the upgrade while the router does this step. The router reboots when the upgrade is done.
After the router boots up, log in the router again.
You MUST Reset the router to default settings after upgrading the firmware
Click Maintenance > Backup Settings
Click Erase. The router reboots when the Erase operation is done.
If you would like to check that the upgrade was successful, log in to the router again at http://192.168.1.1, and check the firmware version.
Re-configure the router with the settings you saved in step 1. Optionally, You can use the Smart Wizard configuration assistant on the CD to reconfigure the router.

==================

After your upgrade, hard reset the router by pressing and holding the reset button in back for 30 seconds and release. Power cycle and then reconfigure it back to your settings manually like the instructions say.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 AM

9,198 posts, read 22,169,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
I've tried a couple of different routers that I have laying around, and have repeatedly gone through the motions--unplug everything, shut down PC, wait 5 minutes, plug in modem, wait 2 minutes, plug in router, wait a couple of minutes, turn on the computer, and run through the wizard etc. No matter, it will NOT get online at all whatsoever no matter what way I configure it and no matter how many times I go through the unplug-shut down-re-plug cycle. No matter, it REFUSES to do ANYTHING, and I know it's the router because I gave up and just plugged the computer into the modem directly.
I recently had an awful time getting my mother-in-law's AT&T DSL modem to work with any router I tried. Like you I could plug directly into the modem, but once I connected a router no wired or wireless connection would work. I don't recall the specific solution, but I believe it was something to do with the IP address assigned to the router, which was causing a conflict.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,579,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I recently had an awful time getting my mother-in-law's AT&T DSL modem to work with any router I tried. Like you I could plug directly into the modem, but once I connected a router no wired or wireless connection would work. I don't recall the specific solution, but I believe it was something to do with the IP address assigned to the router, which was causing a conflict.
The AT&T RG's are multi-purpose devices (switching, routing, gateway services, etc...).

Routers break up broadcast domains by creating separate subnets (different networks), so a common problem of connecting a router to the RG is that unless you approach it with the knowledge of how they work, you will end up with problems as you described (multiple networks and no means for your home network to be able to know how to get to the gateway).

Internet<-->RG<->Router<-->Home network

It is the RG<-->Router that is the problem that you have to account for.

The RG is usually defaulting a NAT setup of 192.168.1.0 network to the private network and a consumer router will also often default to this "out of the box" configuration, so what you end up with is the following:

200.79.10.1 (public address assigned by ISP)<-- RG NAT-->192.168.1.0 (Private network assigned)<--Router NAT-->192.168.1.0 (Private network assigned).

It is often referred to as Double NATing. It can work, though it is inadvisable to run a Double NAT as it will slow down your connections with all of the extra translations going on and will create further complications with configuration and maintenance of accessibility.

Not only that, but as you can see... it creates routing problems due to duplicate networks. The router won't know where to send packets as it will have identical networks on either side of the Router.

You can remedy that by either configuring different networks between the devices (retaining a Double NAT) or turn off NAT and make the device do basic routing services.

Anyway, anytime you add two routers to the mix, you end up with a need for manual configuration.

What I can't stand about AT&T though is their U Verse Proprietary setup which makes it extremely difficult to attempt to "replace" their crappy RG with a better device which you could easily do before. I think Cable and basic DSL still allow you to toss their device and use a router of your choice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers