U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,564,316 times

Advertisements

ok so I bought a pioneer BDR-2208 with nero 12 platinum. cant wait to get em and set them up. I will be using a couple of bluray discs wich will be going into a safe deposit box and I will be transfering my files to a thumb drive as well and keeping em in the house and if I want em there there. I just want a good hard copy of all my files
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I'd personally look on Newegg for burners that get good reviews.

Some will be bare drives, and some will have burning software included, so you'll just have to decide what's a better deal: a bare drive + separate software, or a drive that includes software.

Sometimes the included software is a lite version, so that's another think to keep in mind.
I agree I was also thing of that some some software that comes with the burners is a lite version I know when I had my dell that's all it had on there was lite versions to most of the software.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:50 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
I agree I was also thing of that some some software that comes with the burners is a lite version I know when I had my dell that's all it had on there was lite versions to most of the software.
True but they always offer an upgrade in the program to the full deal.
BUT That's why I suggested buying off the shelf (i.e. a copy on CD). Just easier in the long run like when you get a new computer...

Old 06-26-2013, 01:51 PM

5,894 posts, read 4,419,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
yea this is for my own personal use. I'm using it to burn off large files and putting em on one blu ray instead of multible discs. not doing movies or music.
Even though this kind of sounds like this is a one time deal, I probably would purchase an external 1 TB hard drive - maybe two of them - that way you have redundancy in your back ups. You can switch them out if need be. The other advantage to going the external hard drive route over the Blu-ray route is that if you need to access that back up information, you wouldn't have to worry about being at a computer with a blu-ray drive. If the drive goes bad, no reading of the discs. Certainly the hard drive could go bad as well, but not as likely if you're not keeping it plugged in and running all the time.

Edit: I just noticed you did buy a Pioneer Blu-Ray player with Nero. I haven't used Nero in a few years, but I have used that software in the past and have always loved the ease of use with it. Hopefully they haven't changed much in recent years. I understand you were going to keep the discs in a safety deposit box. Probably could also do the same thing with external drives. But anyways, good luck!

Old 06-26-2013, 08:03 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,329,390 times
Well, you bought a 15x blu ray burner but most blu ray discs are 6X!

Amazon.com: blank blu-ray discs: Electronics

Old 06-27-2013, 08:24 AM

BR Discs.... are SPEED RATED???? wtf?!?!?!

Old 06-27-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
True but they always offer an upgrade in the program to the full deal.
BUT That's why I suggested buying off the shelf (i.e. a copy on CD). Just easier in the long run like when you get a new computer...
that's true that they do offer an upgrade but I find out that I don't like the software they put on the pc and wind up uninstalling it and buying something else. and besides id'e rather have the disc and the key code on me as I have had some experiances with them e mailing it to me that were not good

Old 06-27-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
BR Discs.... are SPEED RATED???? wtf?!?!?!
yup and there outdated too as well how about that . since the movie studios are supposed to be coming out with movies on something like and sd card aint technology wonderfull they make you keep spending your $$$$

Old 06-28-2013, 09:15 AM

So if you use a 6X in a 24X speed burner, I wonder if it just shatters into tiny pieces?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers