U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 01:39 PM

28,402 posts, read 48,169,718 times

Advertisements

I've been having major problems with my Facebook Games locking up in middle of game everytime I play it. The Flash program is doing this. Have download update to this flash and it still doesn't work.

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 01:41 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,346,982 times
What browser are you using? If you aren't already, try Chrome which has its own Flash engine.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:47 PM

I use Chrome and still have major problems. I've not been able to play my Games ever sence I formatting my hard drive. Must have deleted a important file.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:50 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,847,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I use Chrome and still have major problems. I've not been able to play my Games ever sence I formatting my hard drive. Must have deleted a important file.
That didn't make sense. I mean, if you formatted your drive and re-install everything from scratch, if anything, it should be running much smoother. Did you re-install everything the same way, same versions, etc. or did you skip something, do something bass ackward or not do at all?

If it was a straight-up re-format where you installed everything from scratch and have the latest, stable versions of all device drivers and applications, then my guess, something unrelated happened after the re-format. Have you tried completely uninstalling Chrome and re-installing it? You can test to see if it is the browser/Flash by using another browser.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
That didn't make sense. I mean, if you formatted your drive and re-install everything from scratch, if anything, it should be running much smoother. Did you re-install everything the same way, same versions, etc. or did you skip something, do something bass ackward or not do at all?

If it was a straight-up re-format where you installed everything from scratch and have the latest, stable versions of all device drivers and applications, then my guess, something unrelated happened after the re-format. Have you tried completely uninstalling Chrome and re-installing it? You can test to see if it is the browser/Flash by using another browser.
What happened is I though I backed up my computer files before formatting the head drive and it didn't burn on a new DVD so I lost all my old files. I reload all the factory programs instead which must not have a update flash file. My computer is almost eight years old. I tried to update the flash file from the internet but it still doesn't work. I will delete Chrome and re-install it to see if this works.

Thanks.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:20 PM

John, as EscapeCalifornia mentioned, Google Chrome uses its own Flash component called Pepper Flash, which is a single .dll file located within the Chrome application installation folder:

If that file is renamed, deleted, moved or somehow gotten corrupted, you will not be able to watch Flash videos in Chrome.
So, uninstall Chrome, then delete the application folder (Google) located in "C:\Program Files" directory.
Also check the following location to see if a "Google" folder exists, if you see one, delete it as well: "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local"

Afterwards, re-install Chrome. That should do the trick.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 06-27-2013 at 01:33 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Also check the following location to see if a "Google" folder exists, if you see one, delete it as well: "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local"
I wanted to warn you (hopefully not too late) that deleting the above mentioned "Google" folder will also delete your browser bookmarks, settings, etc. so for the Flash problem, you could skip deleting it and try re-installing Chrome first to see if it works or not.

If deleting the above directory is needed for whatever reason, then make sure to backup your bookmarks, settings and whatever else you might want to keep. I have created a simple script available for download here that you could use to backup and restore your Chrome user data.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:13 AM

536 posts, read 709,956 times
Or a much easier solution if you have a google account is just to allow Chrome sync to write to Google Dashboard. I have about 6 (Some virtual) machines I'm working with at the moment, and when I save a new bookmark on any one of them all 6 are updated with it. Or for example if you have to do a clean install of your OS, as soon as you re-install Chrome all your settings and bookmarks are downloaded. Very convenient.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
Or a much easier solution if you have a google account is just to allow Chrome sync to write to Google Dashboard. I have about 6 (Some virtual) machines I'm working with at the moment, and when I save a new bookmark on any one of them all 6 are updated with it. Or for example if you have to do a clean install of your OS, as soon as you re-install Chrome all your settings and bookmarks are downloaded. Very convenient.
Sounds like it. Does this also retain your web site login information? If you selected the browser to remember your login credentials to a certain site (aka cookies)?

Old 07-02-2013, 02:56 PM

536 posts, read 709,956 times
Quote:
Sounds like it. Does this also retain your web site login information? If you selected the browser to remember your login credentials to a certain site (aka cookies)?
Yeah it syncs everything to your google account. Even apps/extensions/themes you install from the chrome store.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers