Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 PM

7 posts, read 21,877 times

Advertisements

I have an extra LCD monitor laying around that I would really like to use as a digital photo frame at a tradeshow booth. I don't want to use a computer but I know that I have to use something with an operating system to make this work. The monitor has USB, VGA, and DVI ports. I would prefer to adapt something I already have ...I have a Nook color that I never use, an ancient iPod classic with iffy reliability, an ipod shuffle and an old HTC Android. (I'm rooting for the Nook.) If it is not possible to make any of these devices work, is there an inexpensive alternative? I can't rationalize spending more than $40 or $50 since for $100 I could just buy a small tv to serve my purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,433,566 times
Does the monitor have the capability to read the contents of the connected USB drive? (probably not, but thought I would ask)

Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 PM

No, I wish! That's why I have to connect something that has some kind of operating system. I'm pretty sure that even a digital camera might work but I don't have an extra one of those laying around. I just read something that said a nook color running cm7 would work and I do happen to have that laying around so hopefully, my problem is solved. Can't test it out though because I can't find the freakin power cord to the monitor!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,635,255 times
This sounds like an ideal application for a Raspberry Pi, but you'll have to double check the video out, and may have to get an adapter.

Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 PM

I knew someone would say that! I must say, while I am rather curious about Raspberry Pi, I'm terribly intimidated by it. Perhaps it's time to conquer my fear! Lol

Old 06-25-2013, 06:04 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,635,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMichele View Post
I knew someone would say that! I must say, while I am rather curious about Raspberry Pi, I'm terribly intimidated by it. Perhaps it's time to conquer my fear! Lol
If you are comfortable getting CM on the Nook, I think you'll find you can do the same with the Pi (Not CM in particular, but another Android version).

Really it's just a Linux computer, and there's more tutorials and info available than you'll be able to keep up with, so you should be able to find some very simple step by step stuff.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rasp...ient=firefox-a
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers