U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 10:04 PM

10 posts, read 25,856 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I also posted this in another forum, but I thought people here might be more able to help me.

So my boyfriend might be spying on my computer but I'm not sure, that's why I need your help.

My boyfriend has a new laptop and today I passed by the table in the hallway, where he was sitting with the laptop. He had the folder 'Computer' opened and on the left side (down) I saw the tab 'Network'- And below that tab was the name of my Computer (My name-PC).

We live together, so we use the same internet. Also, he has access to my computer because he has my password for it and he could easily use it when I'm not at home to set things up.
When I check my own networks I don't have his computer in my networks.

I'm not sure what to think- I'm not a big PC expert, but I have never given him access to my computer's network, not for anything. What does that mean now? Could it mean he's spying on me? Could he even be spying on me with this? And what can he see with this and what can't he see? Maybe I'm totally wrong but I just need your guys opinion, maybe someone knows more.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 10:36 PM

14,385 posts, read 21,063,143 times
Default Does he work for

the NSA?
If yes, then yes.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acicla View Post
My boyfriend has a new laptop and today I passed by the table in the hallway, where he was sitting with the laptop. He had the folder 'Computer' opened and on the left side (down) I saw the tab 'Network'- And below that tab was the name of my Computer (My name-PC).
This in itself is nothing to worry about. All it means is that your computer is discoverable to others on the same network. It does not necessarily mean that he can see anything other than whether your computer is on or off.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:04 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,030,166 times
You can check to see if file sharing is on, and you can turn it off if it is on. If you are using Windows 7:

On the Start menu, click Control Panel, and then click Network and Sharing Center.

In the panel on the left, click Change advanced sharing settings, and then click the arrow next to Home or Work.

Check the following settings:

- Network Discovery: Off
- File and Printer Sharing: Off
- Public Folder Sharing: Off
- File Sharing Connections: Use 128-bit encryption...
- Click Save Changes.

"File sharing" would allow your BF to see some or all of the files you have on your computer. It would not allow him to easily see your e-mail, chat archives, etc.

You should also check to see if Remote Desktop is enabled. This would allow someone to access, and completely control your computer from another computer. This link describes how to check your Remote Desktop settings.

Of course, if your BF has your password, he can access your computer when you are not there, without the need for file sharing or remote desktop. If this is a concern, change your password to something that he could not easily guess.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 AM

31,146 posts, read 50,314,105 times
My Dw and I both use the same router. So on our home network both of our PCs are listed on it.

We both use Win7. Both of our PCs seem to have 'public' or shared folders, and private folders.

If you turn off 'file sharing' then anything you have that is not in a 'public' folder will not be shared.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:15 AM

3,160 posts, read 8,215,861 times
The fact that your comp. is visible means nothing. If anyone else were on your network, they would see the same thing.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:21 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,776,401 times
The real question is: why be with someone who you obviously don't trust?

Old 06-28-2013, 01:21 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acicla View Post
Hi,

I also posted this in another forum, but I thought people here might be more able to help me.

So my boyfriend might be spying on my computer but I'm not sure, that's why I need your help.

We live together, so we use the same internet. Also, he has access to my computer because he has my password for it and he could easily use it when I'm not at home to set things up.
When I check my own networks I don't have his computer in my networks.

I'm not sure what to think- I'm not a big PC expert, but I have never given him access to my computer's network, not for anything. What does that mean now? Could it mean he's spying on me? Could he even be spying on me with this? And what can he see with this and what can't he see? Maybe I'm totally wrong but I just need your guys opinion, maybe someone knows more.

Thanks!
If he wants to "spy" on you all he has to do is wait until you're not home and log into your computer.

What is it you need to hide from him? Do you have the password to his laptop?

It sounds like a wonderful relationship. You give him full access then don't trust him to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers