U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:23 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

And in case you missed it I said "a LOT of pictures".
Right on.

Yea, I guess for $15 a TB is a worthy upgrade.
Personally, I'd rather have 2 500GB's then one 1 TB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 01:15 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Good point. There are some options available with two drives that aren't there with one. But then the cost goes up a lot.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:47 PM

14,385 posts, read 21,063,143 times
Default However

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Nothing he mentioned in his original post suggest he needs anywhere near 8GB or RAM.
the difference between 4GB and 8GB is about $40.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:55 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times
Same with a second 500Mb harddrive;about 40 dollars.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Same with a second 500Mb harddrive;about 40 dollars.
I agree, but a second drive can be used for backup if needed. It all revolves around what a users feels they need in a system. And those decisions aren't always easy.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:42 PM

4,585 posts, read 10,998,630 times
Welll here is what has happened so far, I went with 8 of Ram and 1TB of HD, new monitor keyboard etc...so I get this all home and the computer is dead. I take it back and they say the motherboard is bad so I leave it over night and go pick it up this afternoon...works there take it home and I get a little whir from the computer then it stops...I take it back and it works there but not at home...now keep in mind I'm on my oldie and everything works and there telling me somethings wrong with the power at my home and they'd have to send someone out that would cost me big bucks to look at and fix...I live in a 13 year old MH...everything else in the house works fine..this computer, TV, appliances etc.

Sooo I told them I don't have any more money to spend I'm on SS, so the sales guy is coming in the morning to see whats up...I don't understand WHY it won't work here if everything else works here??? Makes no sense to me.

If he can't get this mess to work in the morning I guess I'm stuck with old betsy for a while longer.

I did think about a laptop and just getting a monitor and keyboard but then I run into needing more usb ports than they have as I need 2 to download photos to the camera and to external stick (back-up) I usually use external storage for my photos.

I feel like they are treating me like a idiot and I don't like it.

They never could give me an explaination as to why the new computer won't work at my house but will work at their store...I just don't get it and neither did my gf who's an engineer or my neighbor who was in the building trade mostly plumbing but some electric.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:38 AM

82 posts, read 110,895 times
For the OP when using Photoshop the more RAM the better. It's not until you get beyond 16GB do you start to see diminishing returns.

RAM vs Photoshop | Gavtrain.com

Still, if you are on a budget, for Photoshop the number one hardware priority is a monitor with an IPS panel. I'd put that ahead of spending on CPU or RAM.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Welll here is what has happened so far, I went with 8 of Ram and 1TB of HD, new monitor keyboard etc...so I get this all home and the computer is dead. I take it back and they say the motherboard is bad so I leave it over night and go pick it up this afternoon...works there take it home and I get a little whir from the computer then it stops...I take it back and it works there but not at home...now keep in mind I'm on my oldie and everything works and there telling me somethings wrong with the power at my home and they'd have to send someone out that would cost me big bucks to look at and fix...I live in a 13 year old MH...everything else in the house works fine..this computer, TV, appliances etc.

Sooo I told them I don't have any more money to spend I'm on SS, so the sales guy is coming in the morning to see whats up...I don't understand WHY it won't work here if everything else works here??? Makes no sense to me.

If he can't get this mess to work in the morning I guess I'm stuck with old betsy for a while longer.

I did think about a laptop and just getting a monitor and keyboard but then I run into needing more usb ports than they have as I need 2 to download photos to the camera and to external stick (back-up) I usually use external storage for my photos.

I feel like they are treating me like a idiot and I don't like it.

They never could give me an explaination as to why the new computer won't work at my house but will work at their store...I just don't get it and neither did my gf who's an engineer or my neighbor who was in the building trade mostly plumbing but some electric.
My laptop has 4 usb ports, and you can buy hubs that will add to that.

Do you use an uninterruptible power supply at home? Like this? If not, you should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers