U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:44 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,578,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Let's not. I've been using Norton Internet Security since they rewrote the code in 2009 and it's one of the best you can buy. Anyone that thinks otherwise doesn't know much about the product and should post links to information that backs up their claim.
Tek_Freek, I spent many years dealing with them, though I will admit I have not used them in many years. When I did deal with them as a IT tech, they were a nightmare. Their software was bloated, buggy, intrusive, left residual elements even after extensive removal, and often reminded me of programs like After Dark in their ability to function within the OS.

I have dealt with them briefly in the past from factory installs on a few bundled laptops and nothing led me to believe they had improved. In fact they were a center problem in a previous machine I was dealing with due to the fact that they left residual elements in after a removal which required further tools to remove (which was causing routing and connectivity issues). Though, thinking about it, those may have been pre-2009 versions (hard to say as they were right at about that time 2009).

You may be correct, but I have had such a terrible history with them in not only their software design practices, but the manner in which the marketed/distributed their products, that I have a hard time believing they have changed. They may have, but once a company has damaged their reputation to that level, I tend to avoid the headaches of a repeat occurrence, especially when there are many more options available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 07:48 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,010,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I will admit I have not used them in many years.
Which just goes to prove my previously stated point. You're giving advice on a subject you have no knowledge of.

And Tek can vouch for me, I am not a Norton fanboi, I am someone that took another look at it instead of continually bad mouthing it and saw that it isn't what it once was, you might want to do the same instead of continuing to look clueless

Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Probably less of a myth, and more just based on really outdated experience. I used NAV exclusively for years, but somewhere around '05 (give or take a year or two) it suddenly got really bad. Super bloated and super slow. It was one of those things where I upgraded and thought something had gone horribly wrong with my PC, then I rolled back and realized that it was NAV. Same thing happened with Acrobat Reader at one point. Just got worse and worse until it wasn't usable anymore. A few years later they did a serious rework, and it's actually usable again.
That is likely it. I had such a terrible experience (imagine having a distribution of the software over multiple branches (thousands of machines) and having to deal with the nightmare. Support with them was ridiculous, and rolling back the distribution had its own problems. We ended up having to re-image all the branches. It was not a good time.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 AM

1,464 posts, read 2,805,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Hello,

I have Norton antivirus, but is there another free software I can use to clean up my computer to get it to run faster without annoying pop-ups.

Thanks,
We use Kaspersky for Internet Security and its one of the best out there. We still get pop ups..think they are just part of whatever search engine you use. Yahoo is the worse one EVER. If you will notice at times you will see some of the print on your screen perhaps in red or orange as opposed to blue. If you by accident brush over that different colored print, you will get some strange pop up. I have tried to close these pop ups before and my internet will go down and I will have to reboot. Pretty strong stuff if Kaspersky can't stop it.
I know, its annoying as hell these popups..wait..my techie husband just told me that you should have a pop up blocker..he is looking..never heard of it myself.
OK..he just told me to go to your browser..to HELP and search for how to block pop ups..YIKES I didn't know it was that easy and here I have the computer GURU living with me. I am going to try that. He said that there should be a way to shut the dang things off..WOO HOO..I am off to the races to take care of this big annoyance!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Which just goes to prove my previously stated point. You're giving advice on a subject you have no knowledge of.

And Tek can vouch for me, I am not a Norton fanboi, I am someone that took another look at it instead of continually bad mouthing it and saw that it isn't what it once was, you might want to do the same instead of continuing to look clueless
I was giving advice on a company to which did not simply have a poor product, but one of the worst products on the market and I did so from a position to have worked with it in a professional environment applying to thousands of machines.

Yes, I have not used it recently, but having such a horrific experience not only with their software, but their technical support (business technical support), I have major reservations with them. This isn't an objection by a user who got mad because they couldn't play their games on their new factory brand PC.

I admitted that it had been a while (I no longer work in that area of IT and none of corporations I have worked for use NAV), and they may have changed, but personally, I would have to evaluate that again and as I said, with the competition out there, I see no need to.

A simple comment about them changing would have been sufficient, but you continue to spout off like I insulted your favorite team, so while you may not be a fanboi, your aggressive response (notice Tek didn't come out attacking) seems to betray that.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:02 AM

26,345 posts, read 83,926,729 times
Is there any reason (or at least a significant reason) why someone should use NAV ($) over MSE (free)? Especially if they wouldn't regularly go to really risky websites?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is there any reason (or at least a significant reason) why someone should use NAV ($) over MSE (free)? Especially if they wouldn't regularly go to really risky websites?
That is kind of my point, though there may be some features they offer that the free ones do not. Me personally, I haven't had a virus for going on 15 years now on my home machine. So if NAV is "better" now and a solid AV, does it justify the cost?

Old 07-02-2013, 09:10 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,010,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
None that I can think of. I mention Norton as an option to my clients that use Comcast as it's free for them, but The good free AV apps (MSE, Avast) will get the job done. There isn't any AV app, paid or free, that guarantees you won't still get infected if you're using it.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 AM

36 posts, read 55,354 times
It depends - what do you mean by cleanup? As in a malware infection, the 2nd opinion scanner Hitman Pro (free 30 day trial) from surfright.nl is very good, I also use Kaspersky's TDSSKiller (free) which scans for rootkits, and Malwarebytes (in Free mode). AVG's linux os bootable rescue CD for scanning an impossible to boot (or blocked desktop) situation is excellent, as is the "free for home use" Dr. Web's Cureit (using a Hiren Boot CD).

For prevention I'll install a sandboxing product (one I use is Sandboxie.com, free trial with nag screens), however there are others. I sandbox the web browser, so if a malware attack strikes it's contained in the sandbox, closing the sandbox terminates the badware running in memory, and purges all files and registry changes the malware tries to implant. Sandboxie is slightly geeky.

As to general pc cleanup, ccleaner, as mentioned by others is very good, if not a tad aggressive. Some customers got perturbed that their URL history and recent documents get erased, and yes, even some customers use the Recycle Bin for file storage! You want to carefully study what it intends on removing, a conservative set of options is often a good first approach.

If you delve into registry cleaners, do your homework, and make sure you know how to create Restore Points. Some are good, while some borderline their products on "snake oilish," promising too good to be true pc speed boosts.

I'm also experimenting with ADW Cleaner (an adware Remover) from bleepingcomputer.com, however it's slightly terse, and there is no rolling back after changes so it's a little riskier if it removes something unintentional.

As to realtime Antivirus and Internet Security products, I base it on the household. Do you have kids or teens that tend to be web wanderers, clicking anything and everything, perhaps working the bit torrent downloads you need something stronger. No recommendations, just do your homework. Often picking av or Internet Security products is "pick your poison." Don't go overboard, you don't want Norton and Mcafee (or some other AV combinations) running in realtime simultaneously.

I've gone as far in one household in installing a Watchguard Firewall with Internet content filtering, and blocking of all EXE file downloads (except for those from Microsoft, Adobe, Norton, and other reputable vendors). It doesn't stop everything, after all you can get infected with a contaminated PDF, and you pretty much can't stop downloading of PDF files), however it's just a secondary layer of defense. Think of it like a correctional facility, there just isn't one fence containing the inmates, it's a layered approach.

A free solution (for firewall protection better than say your average consumer router) is Untangle, (Untangle.com) but it requires some technical expertise and pc hardware - it turns a dedicated dual core PC (with two or more wired Ethernet cards) into a high quality appliance with free "lite" versions of in line antivirus, web filtering, traffic shaping, and VPN, to name a few.

One more item I'd like to add - in a severe malware infection situation, using a boot cd like Hiren, or the AVG Rescue disk - removing files or cleaning up a Windows 7 (presumably Vista and 8 are affected), without the OS's knowledge - can cause a system restore to fail. So you have to carefully weigh your situation. If you can remove an infection successfully from a bootable CD/DVD environment then great, but if its only partially successful and you decide you want to try to revert back in time with a system restore, AFTER a rescue disk has done some cleanup, then the system restore from an earlier point in time will most likely fail.

This makes creating your OS restore DVD's (or Flash Disk) while the PC is in good working order - like when you first buy it, very important, because in a severe, unrecoverable malware infection scenario you may wind up having to reinstall Windows.

Last edited by Eric4114; 07-03-2013 at 09:01 AM..

Old 07-05-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric4114 View Post
For prevention I'll install a sandboxing product (one I use is Sandboxie.com, free trial with nag screens), however there are others. I sandbox the web browser, so if a malware attack strikes it's contained in the sandbox, closing the sandbox terminates the badware running in memory, and purges all files and registry changes the malware tries to implant. Sandboxie is slightly geeky.

That one is an excellent tool. It really can narrow your security risks, not entirely but so much that if you use it specifically for browsing the web and set it up to not save anything on exit, it will reduce maintenance and cleaning as well as keep you from infesting your machine with the nasty little critters out there.

Before it was available, I used a stripped down OS within a VM product to browse the web and set it to revert back to its original install on each close. It is kind of fun because you can actually click on some virus infested sites just to see the effect of it.

Another trick I have seen some do is having a second machine with a LiveCD setup. Each time you turn the machine off, it purges the drive so next boot is like a fresh install.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or