U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 02:34 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times

Advertisements

Why pay money to a sandbox software when you can create a fully virtual system to not only browse but download and install applications within the same amount of time it takes you to install Windows?

Heck, you wouldn't even have to worry about installing device drivers! And if something did happen, reverting back to a previously created snapshot takes only minutes.

I will just mention VirtualBox because it is one of the easier, better of the free vms out there currently but there are more alternatives (MS Virtual PC, VMware Player).
Install Windows from a CD/DVD or an .iso image or a previously created .vhd file.

Good thing about a virtual machine is, quite a bit of the infections come from freebees they are bundled with. So by using a vm to install any unknown freeware/shareware to check beforehand would actually be very wise.

I mentioned that I didn't use any security applications other than the add-ons to the browser I use and my system has been clean whenever I scanned it using various bootable media.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 03:00 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,578,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Why pay money to a sandbox software when you can create a fully virtual system to not only browse but download and install applications within the same amount of time it takes you to install Windows?

Heck, you wouldn't even have to worry about installing device drivers! And if something did happen, reverting back to a previously created snapshot takes only minutes.

I will just mention VirtualBox because it is one of the easier, better of the free vms out there currently but there are more alternatives (MS Virtual PC, VMware Player).
Install Windows from a CD/DVD or an .iso image or a previously created .vhd file.

Good thing about a virtual machine is, quite a bit of the infections come from freebees they are bundled with. So by using a vm to install any unknown freeware/shareware to check beforehand would actually be very wise.

I mentioned that I didn't use any security applications other than the add-ons to the browser I use and my system has been clean whenever I scanned it using various bootable media.

Sandboxie is free for the most part is why (and less hassle for novice users). Running VM is another way to go though if someone wants to put the effort into learning how, but many novices just want to click and go. VMware and Virtualbox both are fine for that aspect and as you said, you can revert back to a clean slate (much like that of running a LiveCD).

I would say the best way to go would be to do a VM of an easy to use linux distribution and use that for browsing the net, and basic multimedia functions. You avoid a large percentage of the viruses targeting MS Windows and you have a much more secure file system, not to mention Linux is so lightweight (obvious depending on how you install it), that it would take minimal resources to run it in a VM on most machines.

In the end, I think a lot of these discussions are centered around novice to maybe intermediate users. Most advanced users don't ask these questions or run into these problems normally and so I think "ease of use" is likely what most people are looking for and a program like Sandboxie achieves that.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:55 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
And all the OP wants to do is clean the junk out of his computer. Probably needs cache, etc cleared...

Old 07-05-2013, 07:03 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And all the OP wants to do is clean the junk out of his computer. Probably needs cache, etc cleared...
I know, huh? I wrote my reply kind of in connection to the Sandbox suggestion but realized how off base this thread had gotten.

Anyhow, OP, I use a script that does a decent job, many people use CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) from piriform. Another good one is Fcleaner. For quick and dirty cleaning, I like the standalone (no install) utility called ATF-Cleaner from atribune.

They are all free and do a great job. CCleaner and FCleaner may seem a bit too much for quick and simple temp file, internet cache/cookie cleaning so check out ATF-Cleaner.
Also, all browsers have a cache/cookie cleaning feature and some can be set to do this automatically when you close the browser window.

You can do this with any browser, manually and any time you want by pressing: CTRL+SHIFT+DEL

There is also Browzar, a free, standalone browser that doesn't keep any info when you close it, all gone!

Old 07-05-2013, 07:05 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,798,948 times
Uniblue suite is what my computer repair guy uses. Malwarebytes is good also, for malware.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-05-2013, 07:05 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
I set FF to dump everything possible on exit. It helps.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:08 PM

6,480 posts, read 6,305,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Hello,

I have Norton antivirus, but is there another free software I can use to clean up my computer to get it to run faster without annoying pop-ups.

Thanks,
Big fan of SpyBot here.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:16 AM

70 posts, read 87,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Hello,

I have Norton antivirus, but is there another free software I can use to clean up my computer to get it to run faster without annoying pop-ups.

Thanks,
use Cc cleaner, the best one.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:26 AM

752 posts, read 972,914 times
Still use xp. Have download Microsoft security essential and impressed with it how little of memory it use. Possible see it at task manager. However good old pulling cable of wall is still always my protection of my computer when someone try to download something. In 14 years of browsing Internet, about whatsoever I want, they managed 2 times to load viruses or spy wares or whatsoever is it. I fix it with “image backup”. Knowing that spy wares and viruses download itself at hundred different places I’m not sure any cleaning may work. However I’m not pro just my way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
We still get pop ups..think they are just part of whatever search engine you use.
Never ever any popup in 14 years of browsing. Pop ups are not part at last of Internet explorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric4114 View Post

This makes creating your OS restore DVD's (or Flash Disk) while the PC is in good working order - like when you first buy it, very important, because in a severe, unrecoverable malware infection scenario you may wind up having to reinstall Windows.
System restore is only tool in what I believe. I do not have will to go trough dozens programs. Image backup replaced system restore recently yet.
I can’t believe that people can use computers with pop ups showing up all time. I think I would throw my trough window.

Last edited by tipitop; 11-12-2013 at 07:18 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 11:06 PM

10 posts, read 22,465 times
I use Advanced SystemCare and CCleaner is a very reliable one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or