U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 09:28 AM

70 posts, read 57,517 times

Advertisements

spybot
malwayre bytes
advanced systemcare
ccleaner
hijack this
combofix
bleachbit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 02:50 PM

455 posts, read 775,117 times
As others have said, using the following four freebies should cover you:

Avast - Always on realtime antivirus/malware
Malwarebytes - For when you suspect something got past Avast (not often)
Ccleaner - To clean up all the trash (utilize the registry cleaner too, please)
Defraggler - Same as the built in utility, but better. Allows you to defrag specific directories, for instance.

Beyond that, you can open up services.msc from the search in Windows and go through the list of services, cross-referencing each on the internet, and disable or manual services you're not likely to need (which the operating system or other services don't depend on as well)

Additionally, uninstalling unused programs can be done in Ccleaner or through the control panel.
Purchasing an external or additional hard drive to store data instead of having it on the OS drive can help as well.
Purchasing more RAM is another plus, if it's a factor right now.

If you have the funds because you saved all that money by using the above free programs instead of buying other software, then you might spring for an SSD for your OS/Programs drive. Load times will make you pee your pants. In a good way, if that even exists.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:57 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Sandwich View Post
If you have the funds because you saved all that money by using the above free programs instead of buying other software, then you might spring for an SSD for your OS/Programs drive. Load times will make you pee your pants. In a good way, if that even exists.
It needs to be mentioned, as you brought up SSD's and defraggler in the same post, that you DO NOT run any sort of defrag on an SSD.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:59 PM

455 posts, read 775,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
It needs to be mentioned, as you brought up SSD's and defraggler in the same post, that you DO NOT run any sort of defrag on an SSD.
Good catch.
I use Defraggler for my magnetic data drives. Obviously not my SSDs.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:52 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,564,316 times
I agree I use Norton 360 it is one of the best and it does everything for you scans for viruses tunes up your pc and keeps it running smooth and fast

Old 11-18-2013, 06:17 PM

5,396 posts, read 6,636,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
That is kind of my point, though there may be some features they offer that the free ones do not. Me personally, I haven't had a virus for going on 15 years now on my home machine. So if NAV is "better" now and a solid AV, does it justify the cost?
I personally use Symantec EndPoint Protection (something of a cousin/relative to NAV, since Symantec makes both products -- SEP is also Windows Server-compatible though, whereas NAV only works with Windows client PCs). SEP is also used by my workplace as their antivirus/antispyware program of choice.

I have used both NAV and SEP in the past, and have really liked both products

Old 11-18-2013, 06:23 PM

5,396 posts, read 6,636,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I know, huh? I wrote my reply kind of in connection to the Sandbox suggestion but realized how off base this thread had gotten.

Anyhow, OP, I use a script that does a decent job, many people use CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) from piriform. Another good one is Fcleaner. For quick and dirty cleaning, I like the standalone (no install) utility called ATF-Cleaner from atribune.

They are all free and do a great job. CCleaner and FCleaner may seem a bit too much for quick and simple temp file, internet cache/cookie cleaning so check out ATF-Cleaner.
J/w, does anyone know if CCleaner or any of the other programs referenced below are compatible with Windows Server 2008/2008 R2/2012, etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Also, all browsers have a cache/cookie cleaning feature and some can be set to do this automatically when you close the browser window.

You can do this with any browser, manually and any time you want by pressing: CTRL+SHIFT+DEL

There is also Browzar, a free, standalone browser that doesn't keep any info when you close it, all gone!
I use Jetico BCWipe, a relatively inexpensive software program, for total, complete, and military-grade elimination of all traces of browsing activity and certain other PC activity on a computer. Even if you clear your browser and cache history manually via the browser, certain freeware programs like Recuva can restore files that have been deleted from the Recycle Bin, if they have not yet been overwritten on the hard disk by another, newer file.

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 11-18-2013 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: Adds / Edits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or