U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:50 PM

4,912 posts, read 4,903,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
CHTransplant suggested iPad. $500 and up.
The Samsung Chromebook is $250.

You should look at both in person and make a decision.
I'm going to Staples next week to take a look at the Chromebooks. The more I read about them the more I think they might be a good fit for her. The iPad is amazing, but double the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 11:00 AM

9,801 posts, read 18,754,643 times
How about a apple ipad ? Heres info & pricing @ amazon. The screen is quite small but all your mom would need is wifi (high speed internet) which would cost approx 30.00 a month. Its abit pricy but its also not a computer just like msntv.
Amazon.com: Apple iPad (first generation) MB292LL/A Tablet (16GB, Wifi): Computers & Accessories

Old 07-04-2013, 11:21 AM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Having read about the Chromebook I have to agree with it as an excellent option.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:30 PM

4,912 posts, read 4,903,406 times
I'm going to look at the iPad for her along with Chromebook. She has Verizon access at home & adding Chromebook will give her 2 free years of use.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:33 PM

389 posts, read 1,038,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is literally tens of thousands of free applications out there that is very legitimate, you need to research it. If you want to get into web and *nix applications the list grows exponentially.
I'm sure there are but invariably I am left with a lot of registry errors and other stuff I can never get off my hard drive. I've got a slightly older back-up machine to the side of my new W7 machine and it takes 10 times as long to boot up and shut down at night. If it were possible to go in and find these left-over files and delete them it would be easy as in the old DOS era. Today, that's an impossibility. And I have no interest in reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling the software and all the drivers, etc. For the novice, they wouldn't have a clue what to do. And I still am like a donkey on ice with trying to figure some of this stuff out. I just don't download anything that I don't know about and can't be uninstalled.

Someone will say this is a good program. Others will say the opposite. Who to believe?

Old 07-05-2013, 02:23 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
I'm sure there are but invariably I am left with a lot of registry errors and other stuff I can never get off my hard drive. I've got a slightly older back-up machine to the side of my new W7 machine and it takes 10 times as long to boot up and shut down at night. If it were possible to go in and find these left-over files and delete them it would be easy as in the old DOS era. Today, that's an impossibility. And I have no interest in reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling the software and all the drivers, etc. For the novice, they wouldn't have a clue what to do. And I still am like a donkey on ice with trying to figure some of this stuff out. I just don't download anything that I don't know about and can't be uninstalled.

Someone will say this is a good program. Others will say the opposite. Who to believe?
Ccleaner has an option to clean the registry. I've used it hundreds of times on computers (including my own) with no problem. The link is to Filehippo which is a very safe site for downloading. I've used it for years and never received any malware, etc. Top right corner, wait for the gray box to open for the download.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,901 posts, read 33,639,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
CHTransplant suggested iPad. $500 and up.
The Samsung Chromebook is $250.

You should look at both in person and make a decision.
Based on the experience we had migrating my 80-something mother-in-law from WebTV to iPad, the single most important consideration was simplicity of interface. We live 1,000 miles from her and we wanted something that would be easy to support from a distance or over the phone.

The walled garden of the iPad seemed to have fewer places to get "lost" in than a Chromebook does. The email via Apple's "Email" app was also more familiar to her than retrieving her email from Gmail's web interface would have been.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:23 PM

9,801 posts, read 18,754,643 times
This is perfect for a senior but its pricy.
WOW! Computer Review | WOW! Computer for Seniors Reviews

Old 07-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,901 posts, read 33,639,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
This is perfect for a senior but its pricy.
WOW! Computer Review | WOW! Computer for Seniors Reviews
Linux, according to the Amazon description. Might be frustrating for the user if it doesn't come with all of the Linux tweaks required to support various content-types installed.

Not something I'd want to support from afar, either.

"Ok, Granny, I need you to get into the terminal now and type 'cd \'... What's that? Oh, you don't know where or what the terminal is."

Old 07-05-2013, 05:12 PM

40,218 posts, read 41,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
You have to research it and take recommendations from people that can be trusted, for example if you talk to any video editing enthusiasts or pros one program they might recommend is Virtualdub. If you were talking to a photographer they might recommend Irfanview. If you were talking to a web designer or programmer they might recommend Xampp and Notepad++.

These are are all well established programs that are actively maintained. I think my point is you should not discount applications just becsue they are free becsue you're going to close yourself off from a wealth of very good programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or