Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 04:16 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The link is to Filehippo which is a very safe site for downloading.
Whenever I download anything free I always try and find the source, there is only a few places I might download from third party. Videohelp.com for example often hosts files for video applications but those files are well tested by the admin and subsequently the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 05:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
If you go to the source for Ccleaner they will direct you to Filehippo or you can download it from their site. I've used Ccleaner for so long I automatically go there.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:42 PM

6,568 posts, read 6,732,860 times
I want to thank everyone for their help. I'm 99% sure that I'm going to set mom up with the Google Chromebook. I'm getting her the $249 Samsung. I looked at the $199 Acer Chrombook that's coming to Walmart, but that model has a bigger battery that heats up & needs a fan.....the Samsung runs cool with no need of a fan.

A HP Chromebook is also coming out, but she does not need any extra bells & whistles. She's going to hold on to her MSN2TV till the bitter end so I'll set this up for her in October.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:00 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Thank you for coming back and letting us know what you decided to do. A good choice.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:33 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
This company that has been around since 1998 allows webtv units. As long as the receiver has a built in modem & dialup service (all do). I will get the same service except with a different company at half the price (9.95 month). I wish i had known about this yrs ago. We were always told webtv receivers only work with msntv. Thats total BS.
Even when msntv closes down we will still use our receivers. DONT trash it.

Dialup 4 Less - WebTV Setup Instructions

Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Even when msntv closes down we will still use our receivers. DONT trash it.

Dialup 4 Less - WebTV Setup Instructions
Back in the 1990s, I worked with a group that thought WebTV was the future of interactive TV and was designing companion content for TV shows on it. The way they explained the service at the time is that the service tweaks pages before sending them to the box, in order to make them readable on the box. Without that MSN cloud/middleman, I feel certain that the receivers won't work anymore, after the service goes dark.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:29 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Back in the 1990s, I worked with a group that thought WebTV was the future of interactive TV and was designing companion content for TV shows on it. The way they explained the service at the time is that the service tweaks pages before sending them to the box, in order to make them readable on the box. Without that MSN cloud/middleman, I feel certain that the receivers won't work anymore, after the service goes dark.
How do you know for sure ? According to dialup4less it will work but how do they know ? This can be confusing.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:09 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
I want to thank everyone for their help. I'm 99% sure that I'm going to set mom up with the Google Chromebook. I'm getting her the $249 Samsung. I looked at the $199 Acer Chrombook that's coming to Walmart, but that model has a bigger battery that heats up & needs a fan.....the Samsung runs cool with no need of a fan.

A HP Chromebook is also coming out, but she does not need any extra bells & whistles. She's going to hold on to her MSN2TV till the bitter end so I'll set this up for her in October.
Make sure you get a model that has some functionality when not connected to the internet. The original models couldn’t do anything—not even draft a word processing document—without an internet connection. If she only has dialup, that could be a problem.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:05 PM

6,568 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Make sure you get a model that has some functionality when not connected to the internet. The original models couldn’t do anything—not even draft a word processing document—without an internet connection. If she only has dialup, that could be a problem.
Thank you. The Samsung new Chromebooks do have some functions for use off-line. My mother has access to wifi through her cable company. She was just using dial-up with MSNTV cause she's been doing it for 13 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers