U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 06:56 PM

570 posts, read 875,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Months ago I bought an ipod touch used on craigslist, haven't used it much and am unfamiliar with apple products generally.

I just downloaded 3 cd's of talking/bird calls to my hard drive and would like to load them on my ipod.

Each cd downloaded a set of files I have in 3 separate folders.

If I click on a track, my pc plays that track and stops whereas on the cd the whole "folder" would play.

I would like to copy these to my ipod in such a way that each "folder" would play through like the cd.

I guess that would be sort of like a playlist?

1) Do I have to load itunes on this computer?
2) This is a new computer and not the computer I initially hooked up the ipod to. Does that entail some new bunch of set up procedures?
3) Can I copy to ipod as folders? Or all separate files and then put them in playlists (I have never done that)

thanks,

Try putting them in Zip folders, then compress them, then add them to iTunes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 06:56 PM

2,349 posts, read 4,563,579 times
Quote:
I've been using a PC forever.....I never should have bought an ipod. Its like a foreign language. I'm not sure I would understand Android better but if its more linear like MS probably.

So I finally got these copied over to itunes on my netbook. but now not sure how to get them to show up on the ipod?
What you are experiencing is what a lot of people feel are the Reasons iTunes Sucks | Webmonkey | Wired.com

Old 07-06-2013, 07:11 PM

8,082 posts, read 11,894,254 times
I've been looking for the whole sync thing and all the apple help talks about options I don't see know matter what advice I follow - maddening!

edit

I finally found the device selection and 'sync ipod' so i selected that but......shouldn't you see something happen? IDK. But my playlists of the copied files aren't turning up on the ipod.
I've spent all ****ing day on this. I think I'm ready for a cabin with a windup turntable. All this IT crap is such a time suck

Last edited by Giesela; 07-06-2013 at 07:29 PM..

Old 07-06-2013, 07:17 PM

2,349 posts, read 4,563,579 times
Quote:
I've been looking for the whole sync thing and all the apple help talks about options I don't see know matter what advice I follow - maddening!
I know. Don't you wish you could simply slide the files over from one location to another like you can with EVERY OTHER MP3 PLAYER in the world?

Old 07-06-2013, 10:59 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
iTunes is a piece pf proprietary **** and one of the reasons I won't buy anything they sell.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:59 AM

8,082 posts, read 11,894,254 times
ok, so trying right click convert to aac and sync did not work

However, highlighting files, Preferences, select MP3 format, then uh.............somewhere there was an import file, select ipod.............
That worked! It did not copy them in the playlist groups I had them in but at least they are there.

Nowhere in my searching, googling did it mention something other than using synch!

I'll never remember all the steps if I have to do it again good lord. But I thought I'd put it here in case someone else ever searches on a similar question.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM

13,325 posts, read 20,374,795 times
With iTunes, I just drag and drop files to my iPad or iPhone. If you have a folder with a ton of songs there is a way to tell iTunes which folder, but at the moment I can't recall the steps. I don't use iTunes much anymore since I hate it so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or