U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:36 AM

8,083 posts, read 11,898,036 times

Advertisements

Months ago I bought an ipod touch used on craigslist, haven't used it much and am unfamiliar with apple products generally.

I just downloaded 3 cd's of talking/bird calls to my hard drive and would like to load them on my ipod.

Each cd downloaded a set of files I have in 3 separate folders.

If I click on a track, my pc plays that track and stops whereas on the cd the whole "folder" would play.

I would like to copy these to my ipod in such a way that each "folder" would play through like the cd.

I guess that would be sort of like a playlist?

1) Do I have to load itunes on this computer?
2) This is a new computer and not the computer I initially hooked up the ipod to. Does that entail some new bunch of set up procedures?
3) Can I copy to ipod as folders? Or all separate files and then put them in playlists (I have never done that)

thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 AM

2,349 posts, read 4,564,921 times
Unfortunately, that's the way it is with apple products. They simply don't operate like mass storage devices (like any other MP3 player). Yes you have to use iTunes.

And because that iPod is synced with another computer you have to erase everything on it in order to copy from the new computer. That's the way apple works.

There may be work arounds, and someone may chime in with one or mention some other 3rd party product but compared to Windows, apple file operations is a major hassle when you have to use iTunes.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:55 AM

WHAT? You mean the albums I bought will be erased? The 30.00 bird app I bought that didn't work like I thought it would?

Old 07-06-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
WHAT? You mean the albums I bought will be erased? The 30.00 bird app I bought that didn't work like I thought it would?
"app"?

If these are simply mp3 (ipods can't play WMA), then yes you will have to resync the ipod and everything on it now will be erased if you are going to copy something new from a different computer than what that ipod is currently synced with.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,904 posts, read 33,646,478 times
There is a mode you can enable for the iPod in iTunes that allows manual syncing of music in the Finder. I've never used it and I don't remember what it's called or where it is enabled within iTunes.

As a newer user and to minimize disruption with the content already there (assuming it was loaded from YOUR iTunes Store account), you'd be better off sticking with iTunes to sync. Load the bird calls into iTunes. Create a playlist of them in iTunes and sync the playlist to the iPod.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
There is a mode you can enable for the iPod in iTunes that allows manual syncing of music in the Finder. I've never used it and I don't remember what it's called or where it is enabled within iTunes.

As a newer user and to minimize disruption with the content already there (assuming it was loaded from YOUR iTunes Store account), you'd be better off sticking with iTunes to sync. Load the bird calls into iTunes. Create a playlist of them in iTunes and sync the playlist to the iPod.
Will she have to erase all the content currently on the ipod in order to copy the new content to it?

Old 07-06-2013, 10:44 AM

I have no idea what all this syncing is. And I still don't know if I need itunes on my Win 8PC. Maybe I should just buy an MP3 player and give up. The whole thing seems like a scam if you have to buy the same apps and songs over and over and over.

The files I'd like to copy are .wav files

Old 07-06-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I have no idea what all this syncing is. And I still don't know if I need itunes on my Win 8PC. Maybe I should just buy an MP3 player and give up. The whole thing seems like a scam if you have to buy the same apps and songs over and over and over.

The files I'd like to copy are .wav files

You don't have to buy the same things over and over but the point is since the ipod is synced with another computer, as far as I know, you can't copy stuff from a different computer on to it without erasing the ipod.

Yes, just get a regular MP3 player. So much easier. No syncing. Just copy and play.

Or, download and install itunes, erase the ipod, and sync your new stuff to the newly erased ipod.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:02 AM

I appreciate the input but........the comment 'you don't have to buy the same things over and over' doesn't seem to mesh with erasing the ipod?

Old 07-06-2013, 12:03 PM

For the love of..............I can't even download itunes to a Windows 8 machine. meaning I can't get MY PAID FOR STUFF from apple. What a ****ing scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or