Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 04:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times

Advertisements

That looks like the system is adjusting the video. Maybe.

Have you looked at what items are starting with Windows?

Have you looked through the list of installed programs?

A quick way to do both is to download and install Ccleaner. It is a good program that a lot of techs here use. By clicking the Tools icon at the left you can access the Startup and Installed programs. If you aren't sure what they are you can also copy the list(s) to a text file then copy paste that to a post here and the techs will look it over.

Ccleaner. This takes you to the page at filehippo.com where the link to download is at the top right corner. Filehippo is a safe site that I've used for years ( The same can be said for Ccleaner). Click on the download area and wait for the gray dialog box to open. Don't click anything unless it's in that box. The rest is self-explanatory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 06:35 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,339,164 times
TF... on the startup the only thing running is MSE.

Today I ran the Windows startup repair test off the Windows 7 CD, but it didn't find anything.

There are a lot of people that report having problems with "Windows flashes at startup" for Vista and Win 7...... but I haven't come across anyone reporting a solution yet. After trying different things, some of them say their next step is to reinstall. One of these days that's what I'll probably do too.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:32 AM

Unless you've done some tweaking MSE is not the only thing running at startup.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Unless you've done some tweaking MSE is not the only thing running at startup.
Sorry, bad choice of words. Meant to say that Microsoft Security Client is the only program enabled in Startup (using Ccleaner).

Last night I disabled it so there was nothing showing enabled in Startup, then restarted the pc, but it still flashed.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:18 AM

Thanks. I wondered when you said that. Is the resolution set to "native" and do you know what the native resolution is on that computer?

Old 07-10-2013, 12:03 PM

It's set to the native resolution 1920 X 1080.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 PM

Okay. It's past me. It does seem strange that it wasn't doing at first.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:18 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,432,374 times
If it is not profile based issue then, it might be a glitch with a device driver. Are you using the video card drivers you downloaded and installed from the chipset manufacturer's web site or is it using the drivers that Windows itself installed?
If it is an Nvidia card, use the latest GeForce, if it is a Radeon, use the latest ATI drivers. If it is an integrated video card, download it from the motherboard or computer vendor's web site.

The latter often can cause problems or glitches, not to mention preventing all supported resolution settings from being available in the list.

I'd also recommend checking the Event Viewer logs to see if anything reported as "error" under application or system. Start > Run > eventvwr.msc > OK > Windows Logs:
- Application
- System

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 07-10-2013 at 03:29 PM..

Old 07-11-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
If it is not profile based issue then, it might be a glitch with a device driver. Are you using the video card drivers you downloaded and installed from the chipset manufacturer's web site or is it using the drivers that Windows itself installed?
If it is an Nvidia card, use the latest GeForce, if it is a Radeon, use the latest ATI drivers. If it is an integrated video card, download it from the motherboard or computer vendor's web site.

The latter often can cause problems or glitches, not to mention preventing all supported resolution settings from being available in the list.

I'd also recommend checking the Event Viewer logs to see if anything reported as "error" under application or system. Start > Run > eventvwr.msc > OK > Windows Logs:
- Application
- System
Your last post was the clincher.

It reminded me that after trying all these other things, I hadn't done that. I have integrated video on this HP desktop. Went to the HP website and downloaded video drivers. Sure enough, the Windows drivers that were installed were the cause. This pc did not originally ship with Windows 7. It was XP. I guess when they installed Windows 7, they let Windows install the drivers. Anyway, it's back to normal now. THANK YOU!

Old 07-11-2013, 11:13 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,432,374 times
You are welcome, glad it helped you steer in the right direction. Your post #10 and especially, Tek's post #11 switched on my bulb so you should give him the credit!

I never liked Windows version of device drivers, especially for video. To my surprise, I found out that (for some of the laptops) if you use Windows installed video drivers, you are not able to use the Projector as the VGA/HDMI out ports do not function properly! Always wiser to use vendor provided drivers, more so in the case of integrated video cards and laptops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers