U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:00 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,672,708 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a used pc that runs Windows 7 and has two hdd's.

When the pc arrived, I did a Start>Computer and saw that only one hdd was showing up.

I went to Device Manager and saw that the 2nd hdd was actually installed. So that was good.

I wanted to get that 2nd hdd (which was unformatted, not active, and did not have a drive letter assigned) to show up when I did Start>Computer. So I formatted the 2nd hdd, assigned it a drive letter (E), made it active and now it shows up and works fine.

Here's the minor glitch. Since I did the above, I notice that whenever I boot the pc, just before the 'Starting Windows' screen goes off and my desktop appears, the starting windows screen flashes about 3 times before the desktop shows up. That flashing didn't used to happen before I did the format, etc. on hdd 2. Any ideas?

Btw, Windows 7 and related files are on hdd #1 which was not involved. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 01:25 PM

912 posts, read 1,741,153 times
Two physical hard drives, or two partitions on 1 hard drive?

Old 07-08-2013, 02:05 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times
Re-formatting and activating that drive/partition should not have any effect on your local user profile which Windows loads after login and before desktop appears. I feel there was something else that you might have done that you are overlooking.

To test your theory, why don't you disconnect that drive?
If it is a partition and not a physical drive, try deleting that partition in Disk Management console.
If it is indeed a physical drive, shutdown your computer, unplug the power cord attached to that drive and then connect the power cable and fire up the system to check.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:19 PM

9,198 posts, read 22,166,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Two physical hard drives, or two partitions on 1 hard drive?
I was wondering that too. Three spindle laptops are not common these days (assuming it also has an optical bay).

My assumption is that it was a recovery partition, which is pretty common.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:02 PM

912 posts, read 1,741,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
My assumption is that it was a recovery partition, which is pretty common.
Agree. If it is one Hard Drive, the OP deleted the factory image with all the drivers and software in it. Shame. Best to make a new image of the working OS, once it gets to working again that is.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:12 PM

Two physical hdd's..... one WD and the other Seagate.... each 80GB for a total of 160GB.

I unplugged the data and power cables to 2nd hdd which is blank and just ran with 1st hdd which has Windows 7. I had also made 2nd hdd active before, and went and made it inactive. I read somewhere that only one hdd can be active. I still get the flicker when Win 7 goes between 'Starting Windows' and presenting the desktop. No other problems show up.

Btw, there was no factory image partition created on either hdd..... did get the refurbisher Windows 7 CD with it though.

Disk Management shows..

Disk 0

C:

Healthy (System Boot,Page File,Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

and..

E:

Healthy (Primary Partition)

Old 07-08-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Two physical hdd's..... one WD and the other Seagate.... each 80GB for a total of 160GB.

I unplugged the data and power cables to 2nd hdd which is blank and just ran with 1st hdd which has Windows 7. I had also made 2nd hdd active before, and went and made it inactive. I read somewhere that only one hdd can be active. I still get the flicker when Win 7 goes between 'Starting Windows' and presenting the desktop. No other problems show up.

Btw, there was no factory image partition created on either hdd..... did get the refurbisher Windows 7 CD with it though.

Disk Management shows..

Disk 0

C:

and..

E:

So, even with the secondary drive (E) inactive or disconnected, it still flickers, right? Which would prove my point, it is something else or whatever-odd-thing occurred, the damage is already done.
The easiest workaround, imo, would be to dump this user profile and create a new one. Pick a new user name and create it: Start > Control Panel > User Accounts
Login with that new user account and see if you experience the same issue or not. This is the only way to know for sure if the problem is image wide or just pertaining to that specific user profile.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:54 PM

sorry, it should read...

Disk 0

C:

and..

Disk 1

E:

Old 07-08-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
sorry, it should read...

Disk 0

C:

and..

Disk 1

E:

Boot Drive is C, CD/DVD drive is D and the 2nd HD is E which is what I figured already. E being primary is normal. You can have up to 4 primary partition but only one is the active boot drive/partition where the operating system files are installed on.

Anyhow, my suggestion from the previous post stands.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
So, even with the secondary drive (E) inactive or disconnected, it still flickers, right? Which would prove my point, it is something else or whatever-odd-thing occurred, the damage is already done.
The easiest workaround, imo, would be to dump this user profile and create a new one. Pick a new user name and create it: Start > Control Panel > User Accounts
Login with that new user account and see if you experience the same issue or not. This is the only way to know for sure if the problem is image wide or just pertaining to that specific user profile.
I tried that, but no luck. The flashing actually takes place for a few seconds right after the Windows 7 four windows come together to form the logo......it's like the Windows 7 logo is slightly disrupted before it disappears and before the desktop appears.

It's not a big thing, but one of these days I may just reinstall Windows 7.

I just saw this on youtube. At around 00:20 it gets like a raster right after the logo has gone away (doesn't last very long). I get flashing instead of a raster pattern like that.

Windows 7 Startup - YouTube

Last edited by nezlie; 07-09-2013 at 03:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or