Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:53 PM

570 posts, read 1,286,640 times

Advertisements

* Why do I keep getting this pop-up window?

The past few weeks I have been having problems with websites loading.
It seems they all load very slow and sometimes seem to get stuck. Then the above pop-up window appears.

Other times I get a window that says "Windows is shutting down and Do I want to report the error"
but either way (yes or no) I lose the website page I am on and have to start all over again.

I don't know if the problem is my computer or my ISP ???

Information about my computer is as follows:
System:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
-----------------------------------------------------------
Computer:
AMD Athlon
Processor
3.01 GHz, 2.75 GB of Ram
-----------------------------------------------------------
WD Hard Drive capacity is 465 GB
Used space = 32.2 GB
Free space = 430 GB
Internet Explorer 8
----------------------------------------------------------
Additional information;
I use Microsoft Security Essentials and check for updates on a daily basis, and I do a scan at least once a week.
I also check Microsoft Windows Updates regularly and install all "High Priority updates" .

I would really appreaict if someone could tell lme what is causing all this to happen.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help

/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 06:06 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
Check this out...

What should you do about Internet Explorer script errors?

Is IE 8 the latest that XP supports? If not, I would upgrade?

Old 07-08-2013, 06:20 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
People still use IE? After that big thing where it had a virus flaw?

Get Firefox (not Chrome, because you can't use this afterward) and proxy IE out.

How To Disable Internet Explorer In Windows XP Using A Dummy Proxy Server

Then goto Tools->Options->Advanced->Network->Settings...

Auto-detect proxy.

Congratulations, your Firefox browser will run while IE won't. But wait, there's more. Chrome WON'T because it's actually IE with a new skin. Go ahead, try to run it when you disable IE this way. You can't because it doesn't use its own proxy. It also isn't as customizable as Firefox. Last I checked anyway.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Yep more use it than firefox with zero problems.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:27 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
That big thing where it had a virus flaw?
Funny, I've been using IE for ages, never once did I end up with an infection. Most infections are caused more by careless users, not by their web browser. I also have been trying Waterfox lately, and use Chrome for certain tasks, but IE9 x64 is my primary.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:35 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
I just had a customer with this issue the other day. Turned out she had a lot of spy/adware in the form of toolbars and search engines installed. Once I cleaned up with Malware Bytes, everything was aces.

Yes, people still use IE, especially in the corporate world. Considering it is on almost PC by default, that shouldn't be surprising.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:06 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Nothing wrong with IE .. Any browser can be a nightmare!!

Good luck laststraw

Old 07-11-2013, 11:09 AM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
The problem could be caused by various things, you cannot automatically blame the browser.
Not sure what version of IE you are using but make sure it is the latest you can get if the problem is happening with multiple sites.

Things I would try:

- Try another browser to see if there is indeed something wrong with IE or not
a) Other browser behaves same as IE, then IE is off the hook, the problem could be damaged filesystem and/or just user profile, possibly caused my a malicious infection or an installed application/windows update.

b) Other browser(s) work fine, then the problem could be as simple as cached browser files/cookies so running a temp file cleaner like CCleaner as the 1st step always makes sense.

Best way to trouble shoot (a) would be to log on to the machine using another profile to see if the problem persisted or not. That would narrow down the list of suspects quite a bit.

I have seen (a) on a few end user machines but the problem only occurred on a specific site pulling up a certain database file and the record(s) being pulled from the database were causing that very same error.
Tried different user accounts, different supported browser, different workstations even, same exact script error.

To remedy this, the record(s) in question would have to be cleaned up at the database level, nothing at the workstation level would cure it but from what you mentioned, it seems like that is not what you were doing, plus happening with multiple different sites leads me to believe the root cause might be something different.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:32 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Nothing wrong with IE .. Any browser can be a nightmare!!

Good luck laststraw
What are you using, IE5 on your Windows 98 machine?

I have not really used IE since ..... oh the Windows 95 days, even then, I used Netscape more.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:51 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post

Get Firefox (not Chrome, because you can't use this afterward) and proxy IE out.

How To Disable Internet Explorer In Windows XP Using A Dummy Proxy Server

Then goto Tools->Options->Advanced->Network->Settings...

Auto-detect proxy.

Congratulations, your Firefox browser will run while IE won't. But wait, there's more. Chrome WON'T because it's actually IE with a new skin. Go ahead, try to run it when you disable IE this way. You can't because it doesn't use its own proxy. It also isn't as customizable as Firefox. Last I checked anyway.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Chrome is not IE with a skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers