U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 07:20 AM

839 posts, read 1,067,853 times

Advertisements

I was working on a friend's computer and they say they are missing contacts in their address book. He said he had over 300 and now it's only showing 6. I researched the issue and tried just about everything the internet had to offer but no go.

The thing is, if you go to compose a new email and when you start typing the email address it will automatically bring up all the cached email addresses he has used in the past. He said all of these use to be in his contact list. Is there anyway possible to transfer all these cached email addresses into his address book?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 08:42 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
The thing is, if you go to compose a new email and when you start typing the email address it will automatically bring up all the cached email addresses he has used in the past. He said all of these use to be in his contact list. Is there anyway possible to transfer all these cached email addresses into his address book?

Thanks in advance!
Those cached addresses are basically everyone he has sent mail to, you will have those even if you have no contacts at all. They are stored in a file with the .nk2 extension a couple directories deep in the users account folder. I believe with Office 2010 and newer the data is now stored in the .pst file except under certain circumstances.

I found this utility that claims to transfer them, might be worth a shot
Export NK2 AutoComplete records into Outlook Contacts

I'm sure someone else will be along with other options.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:47 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Hmm. I'm quite the expert with Outlook and have never tried this.
I suppose it is possible. I can't remember what the inside of the nk2 file looks like.
Go to the Start button, click Computer. Click "Organize" then "File and Search Options".
Select the VIEW tab. Select "Show Hidden files, folders and drives".
Remember that so you can switch it back later. Click OK.
Go to the Start button and in the search box type this exactly: %userprofile%
Press enter.
Open the APPDATA folder, then ROAMING, MICROSOFT, OUTLOOK.
In there is a file with an extension of NK2. If you don't have extensions showing there should be a TYPE field in the window that will tell you which is the NK2 file.
Copy that to the desktop.
Close all that.
Try and import that into Outlook as a CSV file or a TAB DELIMITED file.
I am 95% sure all this will do, if it even works, is bring in all the email addresses but none of the contact info.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:50 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Open the APPDATA folder, then ROAMING, MICROSOFT, OUTLOOK.
That's for Vista, and 7. For XP it's in APPLICATION DATA > MICROSOFT > OUTLOOK

Old 07-10-2013, 11:23 AM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
It's in there somewhere...

Old 07-10-2013, 12:26 PM

839 posts, read 1,067,853 times
Thanks everyone. I used a program called NK2edit which can import all the cached addresses into an address book. It worked on my computer, hopefully it works on his.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:12 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,845,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Thanks everyone. I used a program called NK2edit which can import all the cached addresses into an address book. It worked on my computer, hopefully it works on his.
Contacts are different than cached e-mail addresses that were previously used. Contacts are typically stored at the server level but previously used (cached) e-mail address would be at the workstation.

I believe starting Office/Outlook 2007, .NK2 format has been dropped in favor of Autocomplete.dat file which stores the cached e-mail addresses.
If you have backed up a copy of .NK2 file from and older version of Outlook, you can import it to newr versions of Outlook easily.
After configuring and setting up the Outlook on the workstation, close Outlook. Make sure you place the .NK2 file at the following directory:
Quote:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook
Afterwards:
1. Start > Run or hold Windows Key and press r
2. Type outlook /importnk2
3. Click OK or press ENTER

The above action will launch Outlook at the same time import the previously saved NK2 file.

If you have a newer versions of Outlook, you can simply copy the following file to the same exact location (username irrelevant) from the old machine to the new one (look for Autocomplete, there will be only one):
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers