U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:33 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,562,062 times

Advertisements

The best of Steve Ballmer - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 AM

7,294 posts, read 6,676,262 times
I don't understand their need to have just one operating system for all applications. Why not create something for the desktop, and something else for phones and tablets?

Android and Apple have too much of a head start on them for anyone to care at this point. Too little, too late for them for market penetration into this area in my opinion. They have been a dinosaur company for a long time now and it shows from their stock price... no real innovation or drive to change in a long time. (Don't get me wrong, I think they've done fine work with windows for the desktop up to windows 7)

Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,058,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Only problem is in 2013, tablets and smartphones are mostly used for entertainment. Offices still have desktops or at least laptops (which I consider the same thing for the purposes of this discussion). Microsoft is throwing their bread and butter under the bus in favor of a market they really don't have much penetration into yet. The integration may be inevitable, but we aren't there yet. What Microsoft is doing is incredibly irresponsible and a huge gamble. This could make them as a company when/if the post-PC era kicks into full gear, but if their prediction is wrong, it could sink them. There is no point in cramming a smartphone interface on a server or desktop PC with a 30" screen.

Back in the early 2000s, Microsoft tried to get into the mobile market, which at the time was not yet ripe, with Windows XP Tablet Edition. Back then, they made the opposite mistake by assuming people would want a full desktop with a start menu on a touch screen tablet. Each device today still serves a different purpose and the operating system should be designed with that in mind. Apple gets it, which is why you don't see them forcing iOS on MacBook Pros.
Is it a question of core functionality—or aesthetics?

I’m a Mac user. I haven’t worked on a PC in years and I’ve never used Windows 8. But from what I’ve read and seen online, the big change is replacing the Start menu with a graphic interface. I don’t see how this is throwing Windows under the bus. The core functionality is still there.

Windows users are a cantankerous lot—and Microsoft if not known as a paragon of usability and design—but I think people are getting carried away over this.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:51 AM

48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times
Personally I see tablets and smart phone replacing lap top already for a lot of people and more so in future.Desk top have stabilized log ago but are not going away that I can see. Even smart phones are starting to see less demand especially repeat demand.Tablets are really very new to market. Lets face it in tech world people are not buying a lot of things to have the latest and greatest. Tech itself is some what wearing thin to buyer.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:48 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,225,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Is it a question of core functionality—or aesthetics?

I’m a Mac user. I haven’t worked on a PC in years and I’ve never used Windows 8. But from what I’ve read and seen online, the big change is replacing the Start menu with a graphic interface. I don’t see how this is throwing Windows under the bus. The core functionality is still there.

Windows users are a cantankerous lot—and Microsoft if not known as a paragon of usability and design—but I think people are getting carried away over this.
Windows 8 takes away everything that made using the OS intuitive with the keyboard and mouse in favor of touch which few people use on Windows devices. Apple started to bring over some iOS features to OSX starting with Lion, but they still kept the core function of the classic OSX interface intact. They did it right despite already having the lion's share of the touch market cornered unlike Microsoft which is barely a player. Forcing true iOS on the Mac would be the equivalent to what Microsoft is doing.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:30 PM

13,325 posts, read 20,374,795 times
I don't think it's dead, there's just on compelling reason to upgrade yet. We still use computers from 2006 with Windows 7 on them. They work fine, why buy a replacement?

Old 07-12-2013, 10:00 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,761,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I don't understand their need to have just one operating system for all applications. Why not create something for the desktop, and something else for phones and tablets?
Apple gets it. Two different devices (tables/phones & PCs), two different operating systems (iOS & OSX).

Old 07-12-2013, 10:24 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times
In time connecting different devices will be common and its already some what done.mt y wife just checked her E-mail thru her cellphone and printed something thru cellphone as I sit here.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:57 PM

3,459 posts, read 8,241,088 times
As I see it, the computer market will likely follow one of the following two paths (and possibly both) over the next 10 years:

1) Smartphones will become the hub for people's personal computing; they will plug into "dumb" terminals (i.e. desktop, laptop, and tablet shells) and people will be able to maintain personal storage on all devices they use while also maintaining great mobility.

2) Almost everything will become cloud-based and there will be a move from device-based OS (not just traditional desktop but also mobile operating systems) and an emphasis on local storage to cloud-based OS (i.e. browser-based OS) and an emphasis on remote server storage. Each device a person uses will sign in a unified account so a person's products (i.e. documents, apps, etc.) will be accessible on any device.

I'm increasingly thinking the second possibility is more likely, but what's most likely is a path that takes some elements from both approaches I described above.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:02 PM

3,459 posts, read 8,241,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Apple gets it. Two different devices (tables/phones & PCs), two different operating systems (iOS & OSX).
Nope, it is actually Google who gets it. I think cloud-based operating systems will replace device-based operating systems over the next 5-10 years as high-speed internet connectivity becomes more ubiquitous. Such operating systems, as illustrated by Google's Chrome OS, are so simple and easy to use that they beat Apple at their own game. Cloud-based operating systems are also easier to maintain and upgrade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers