U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:43 AM

14,385 posts, read 21,063,143 times

Advertisements

The PC Calamity | asymco

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 01:19 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Is anyone here forgetting that there has to be something for those clouds to run on? The Server will never die as long as we're chasing cloud computing and always-on technology. I don't see the Microsoft Surface running SQL Server anytime soon.

And as long as there are servers, you're going to have traditional workstations. And the traditional workstation is going to be around for a while--maybe not as a desktop, but certianly as a keyboard\mouse (probably) setup where a user sits at a desk, plugs in their core machine, and works. That's not dying anytime soon.

You can develop the same OS and use different GUIs to support whichever device it is on. Unfortunately Microsoft seems to have missed that memo with Windows 8. Android does it well with the TabletUI being different from the standard phone UI (possibly called PhoneUI?). Not to mention, manufacturer-specific GUIs, and third-party GUIs have been developed to overlay on the android platform.
Servers are not PCs. There's no reason servers would require workstations PCs. Tablets are very capable of behaving as thinclients to connect to servers. You can use keyboards and pointing devices with tablets to enable you to create content. This is particularly where Windows tablets have been ahead of the pack. The Windows Surface/Pro and similar devices are very capable of handling the computing power required to do most required tasks. Depending on the purpose, you might need an external keyboard/mouse and/or monitor. But that's not any different than on a desktop.

The Windows Phone UI is not the same as the Windows 8 UI. They did develop different UIs for various devices. Windows 8/8.1 is the same on the tablet and PC as they see the two merging into one device going forward.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,227,033 times
I think the majority of the population will eventually find that they don't need a PC (and we can see this trend in sales results). However, the majority are simple consumers, satisfied with access to social media, web browsing, and watching/reading media. I have multiple personal web projects and business ideas...and am a power spreadsheet user even at home. So for me, a tablet won't cut it.

Right now I own 2 laptops (a Dell latitude and a Thinkpad Edge) and a Nexus 4 smartphone, and instead of buying a tablet soon, I'm buying HD monitors for use as a home workstation. My laptops are still useful for content creation when traveling or at the coffee shop. When I just want to check the news or Facebook I use my Nexus 4...for Netflix it's my Xbox 360/LG TV.

I don't think tablets will take over the workplace either. Except for people in stuff like sales. To sum it up, I don't think the PC is dead, but it will shrink and eventually stabilize with a core group of content creators. My opinion is that this will last until we have full virtual holographic displays that can materialize anywhere, and use voice/mind interface.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,578,750 times
I think the usage of PCs is becoming limited to the tasks that they are ideally suited for over tablets and phones, while (the generally cheaper) tablets and phones are taking over for most casual tasks that used to be performed by PCs. Most still do not type essays on phones and tablets, for example (even though there are Bluetooth keyboards for that purpose). Many who do not see a convincing purpose for devices other than phones or tablets in their life - which I would say describes perhaps the majority - have virtually stopped using their PCs for any purpose, accessing Facebook and the like solely through their phones. At least that's been my experience.

For those power users who benefit from the flexibility, additional screen space, etc. of a PC, there will always be a market.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,203,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Tablets and ubiquitous computers are certainly going to play a large role (they basically already do). But we will still need some form of desktop/laptop computer for most content creation.
^^^^This^^^^. I have an Android smartphone & tablet, and yes they have assumed tasks that previously were PC-only, and yet I have found PLENTY of tasks which the PC absolutely rules over. MANY, MANY things. If I had a choice between surrendering my smartphone or tablet vs the PC, I'd keep the PC & surrender everything else quickly. There is NO substitute for one. There are SO many tasks which I've tried to do on the phone or tablet & about broken the darn thing it so ticked me off, only to get on a PC & burn right through the task in rubber-peeling time.

LRH

Old 07-23-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
^^^^This^^^^. I have an Android smartphone & tablet, and yes they have assumed tasks that previously were PC-only, and yet I have found PLENTY of tasks which the PC absolutely rules over. MANY, MANY things. If I had a choice between surrendering my smartphone or tablet vs the PC, I'd keep the PC & surrender everything else quickly. There is NO substitute for one. There are SO many tasks which I've tried to do on the phone or tablet & about broken the darn thing it so ticked me off, only to get on a PC & burn right through the task in rubber-peeling time.

LRH
Like what?

Old 07-23-2013, 11:01 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,203,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Like what?
Download video clips. I will have a "list" of them to do. In the PC I can maintain that list without it resetting. One tab has the list, the other has the place where it's downloaded. In the tablet an "app" has to do that (the browser can't) and that list always resets everytime. Also, I rename the files it downloads & it's much quicker doing the typing on the PC and its keyboard.

Off-loading photos. I use a Windows-environment operating MS-DOS file with a paired-up .bat file for renaming the photos in a very specific way. I can't do that at all on the tablet.

Google Earth is better than Google Maps & the tablets don't run it.

Creating & maintaining a spreadsheet is MUCH easier.

I can rename files much quicker. Really, any sort of file management does MUCH faster for me on a PC.

With the keyboard/mouse set-up, any sort of "productivity" tasks like those and many others get done MUCH faster. Add to that shortcuts like Page Up/Page Down, Home & End, and CTRL-V for pasting, and it's just MUCH faster. Trying to highlight text for copy-paste on a tablet is hideously difficult by comparison. Heck, I found it easier on my pre-BB10 Blackberry than I do on a tablet. They really need a trackball--yes I said, a trackball.

I can see many more items per page due to the larger screen, there's way less scrolling needed.

The list goes on, that's just part of it. For CONSUMPTION, tablets & smartphones are okay, and they certainly let you do things like keep up with your eBay bidding, Facebook posts, email, and simpler web browsing while not home, don't get me wrong, but when I'm home, 95% of my computer-activities is in fact on a computer, and I strongly prefer it.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Download video clips. I will have a "list" of them to do. In the PC I can maintain that list without it resetting. One tab has the list, the other has the place where it's downloaded. In the tablet an "app" has to do that (the browser can't) and that list always resets everytime. Also, I rename the files it downloads & it's much quicker doing the typing on the PC and its keyboard.
Windows tablets can do all of that. They also have keyboards.
Quote:

Off-loading photos. I use a Windows-environment operating MS-DOS file with a paired-up .bat file for renaming the photos in a very specific way. I can't do that at all on the tablet.
Windows tablets can run .bat files (I'm surprised people still use that).
Quote:

Google Earth is better than Google Maps & the tablets don't run it.
Windows tablets run the same version as PCs. Other tablets/phones have their own version of Google Earth (at least android does).
Quote:

Creating & maintaining a spreadsheet is MUCH easier.
Once you connect a Windows tablet to a large monitor (as you would with a PC), maintaining a spreadsheet is no different than on a PC.
Quote:

I can rename files much quicker. Really, any sort of file management does MUCH faster for me on a PC.
I don't understand what a PC provides you that enables you to do this faster than on a Windows tablet with a keyboard.
Quote:

With the keyboard/mouse set-up, any sort of "productivity" tasks like those and many others get done MUCH faster. Add to that shortcuts like Page Up/Page Down, Home & End, and CTRL-V for pasting, and it's just MUCH faster. Trying to highlight text for copy-paste on a tablet is hideously difficult by comparison. Heck, I found it easier on my pre-BB10 Blackberry than I do on a tablet. They really need a trackball--yes I said, a trackball.
Take a look at the ThinkPad Helix or the Surface Pro. Pair them with a mouse and it's just as easy as a PC.
Quote:

I can see many more items per page due to the larger screen, there's way less scrolling needed.
A tablet can be connected to a larger screen just like a PC.
Quote:

The list goes on, that's just part of it. For CONSUMPTION, tablets & smartphones are okay, and they certainly let you do things like keep up with your eBay bidding, Facebook posts, email, and simpler web browsing while not home, don't get me wrong, but when I'm home, 95% of my computer-activities is in fact on a computer, and I strongly prefer it.
You really haven't shown any activities that tablets aren't just as capable of doing as PCs are. Obviously, there are many: Gaming, filtering, etc. But your activities can easily be met with a tablet. I'm not suggesting you go out and purchase a tablet. But it's important to realize that not all tablets are as limiting as an iPad.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:24 AM

64 posts, read 164,362 times
Gonna need a PC for content creation. Pads and phones don't have the horsepower.
Internet speeds in the US of A are too slow, for the majority.
The Cloud is insecure and unreliable.

Wanna protect business secrets and customer account info?
Don't use the Cloud for that, and don't let it physically leave your company's property/building.

Many tasks are done most efficiently, and safely, with a full-size Keyboard + Mouse, at nice desk, indoors, on a dedicated PC and/or on privately (wired) networked PCs.

If Phone/tablet makers want you to buy a new device, they can disable your current phone or tablet.
In the long run, Subscription-Based Apps do not benefit the consumer.
Finally get used to a particular OS's, or App's interface/layout/features? Too bad. Say hello to forced upgrades, and more retraining.

Last edited by Bread Girl; 07-24-2013 at 12:32 AM..

Old 07-25-2013, 12:03 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,225,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
One thing interesting about the PC sales graph is yes, groth slowed after the release of the iPad, but going into negative territory seems to have coincided with the release of Windows 8. Is that a pure coincidence?

Also, the huge growth seen in late '09 coincided with the release of Windows 7. Most people skipped Vista so being they all jumped when 7 came out probably explains the huge growth those quarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers