U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:51 AM

64 posts, read 164,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
One thing interesting about the PC sales graph is yes, groth slowed after the release of the iPad, but going into negative territory seems to have coincided with the release of Windows 8. Is that a pure coincidence?

Also, the huge growth seen in late '09 coincided with the release of Windows 7. Most people skipped Vista so being they all jumped when 7 came out probably explains the huge growth those quarters.
You make some good points.

If that chart only counts pre-built PCs, then it doesn't account for all of the people who built their own PCs, after the release of Win 8, and put Win 7 (or XP, 2000, Linux, and so on) on em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:17 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,591,773 times
I recently had to get a new desktop and it didn't take me a whole day on it to see that windows 8 is geared to the iPad. I was insulted at having to have "apps" on my decktop. I hated Vista but I think this windows 8 is even worse than Vista.. I let Microsoft know how I felt too..

Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 AM

10,959 posts, read 23,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I recently had to get a new desktop and it didn't take me a whole day on it to see that windows 8 is geared to the iPad. I was insulted at having to have "apps" on my decktop. I hated Vista but I think this windows 8 is even worse than Vista.. I let Microsoft know how I felt too..
I am pretty sure Windows 8 is not for the I-pad

Old 07-29-2013, 11:49 AM

28,619 posts, read 40,594,929 times
The rest of us translated...

Old 07-29-2013, 11:50 AM

28,619 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
I recently had to get a new desktop and it didn't take me a whole day on it to see that windows Hate is geared to the tablets. I was insulted at having to have "apps" on my decktop. I hated Vista but I think this windows Hate is even worse than Vista.. I let Microsoft know how I felt too..
Fixed it for ya. Two for you, one for GTO

Old 07-29-2013, 12:09 PM

Location: Olde English District, SC (look it up on Wikipedia)
244 posts, read 318,009 times
So, in the future everyone is going to use tablets and phones to look at empty web pages?

I write online content, edit, and do freelance ghostwriting for a living, all from home. Believe me, I cannot write the heavily formatted articles people read online on a tablet or my phone. As far as doing everything in the cloud, if my Internet goes down or my cloud provider gets hacked, I still have deadlines to meet for freelance clients, which means I need the ability to work and access my materials offline.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:00 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,965,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Wave Carpetbagger View Post
So, in the future everyone is going to use tablets and phones to look at empty web pages?

I write online content, edit, and do freelance ghostwriting for a living, all from home. Believe me, I cannot write the heavily formatted articles people read online on a tablet or my phone.
Why? What's the difference between a tablet connected to a large monitor, keyboard and mouse, running Windows and a desktop PC? A tablet can function as a small PC.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,576,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Why? What's the difference between a tablet connected to a large monitor, keyboard and mouse, running Windows and a desktop PC? A tablet can function as a small PC.
For writing articles? Maybe not much if you use accessories like that, but that tablet isn't going to cut it running multiple VM's or run any intensive memory/processing software. I think tablets are good though, they have their uses, I have one and use it for mobile tasks (diagnostics, reference, etc...), but it isn't capable of doing my desktop processing. Then, there is always the issue that if something on your tablet goes out, in most cases it becomes a brick, while with a PC, it is a part replacement that can be done by most laymen.

Though some would likely make the argument of processing streaming as bandwidth increases (it is rumored that 5G will be capable of 1Gbs speeds, with the possibility of 10Gbs), but then that gets into a whole different argument with pro's and con's as well.

I honestly don't see a reasonable argument to go away from desktop PC's, it seems most of the debate centers around fad like devotion to the product. It is the old "I love mobile PC's, they are the best and everything else is inferior!" type of issue, similar to the whole "Apple vs Windows vs Linux" arguments.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:02 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,705,958 times
Quote:
I'm going to make a radical suggestion. If you don't want the metro apps, don't use them. No one is forcing you to. I'm not sure why you'd feel insulted by having the option of using something besides the classic desktop programs.
Quote:
Maybe not much if you use accessories like that, but that tablet isn't going to cut it running multiple VM's or run any intensive memory/processing software.
It depends on how intensive we're talking.

Something like the Surface Pro can handle reasonably heavy usage just fine. I routinely use mine for Virtual Box, Visual Studio, etc.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:01 PM

8,746 posts, read 7,835,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I'm going to make a radical suggestion. If you don't want the metro apps, don't use them. No one is forcing you to. I'm not sure why you'd feel insulted by having the option of using something besides the classic desktop programs.
Are you saying there's an option in Windows 8 for using the classic desktop? I haven't used any computer with Windows 8 yet and the online tutorials for Windows 8 I've seen so far don't mention the option to use the classic desktop. I'm considering buying a new desktop PC soon but I've heard so many bad things about Windows 8 that I've been looking solely at new PC's that still offer Windows 7. If you can switch back to the classic desktop and a more user-friendly interface in Windows 8 that's similar to Windows 7, I might consider more computers with the Windows 8 OS.

As to the main topic of this thread, I will certainly never willingly give up my desktop PC! I like my smartphone and it's cool to be able to access the internet with it and all that, but I want my desktop PC for most of the things I do online. Movies, games, YouTube vids, etc. look and sound a lot better on my large desktop PC monitor and near stereo quality speakers vs. doing all that stuff on my much smaller smart phone screen and it's limited sound. In additon, I don't have to re-charge my desktop PC after extended internet usage like I do on the smartphone...lol. For me, the quality and breadth of usage of the desktop PC is unmatched. I might be willing to switch to a laptop at some point, but then again, you have to re-charge those unless you're plugged into an electrical outlet all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers