U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2013, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Alabama
316 posts, read 351,427 times
Reputation: 907

Advertisements

My desktop computer is 6 years old. Thinking about getting a new one. I see one can still purchase a windows 7 on line. Will they be available for a while or should I purchase quickly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-13-2013, 05:48 PM
 
2,349 posts, read 4,563,579 times
Reputation: 2973
Is your computer really powerful enough for Win 7? (According to Moore's Law, today's computer is 16 times more powerful than your computer for the same money.)

How much memory does it have?
Processor speed?

You might want to simply get a whole new PC - they are pretty cheap - buy scratch and dent or refurbished (try Dell Outlet) and likely it will come with Win 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 06:40 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,776,401 times
Reputation: 19664
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiway 231 View Post
My desktop computer is 6 years old. Thinking about getting a new one. I see one can still purchase a windows 7 on line. Will they be available for a while or should I purchase quickly?

You still might be able to find a new computer with Windows 7 on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,614 posts, read 20,774,393 times
Reputation: 17012
The OP is asking whether he/she should buy a Windows 7 now or wait - IMO (and you know what they say) - I'd get one now if you find a deal - so many HATE 8 that 7 may become a hot commodity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 06:47 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,971,486 times
Reputation: 12847
i'd suggest that you at least try Windows 8 before making a decision. Also, look into 8.1. A lot of people hate change... but you might not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Alabama
316 posts, read 351,427 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Is your computer really powerful enough for Win 7? (According to Moore's Law, today's computer is 16 times more powerful than your computer for the same money.)

How much memory does it have?
Processor speed?

You might want to simply get a whole new PC - they are pretty cheap - buy scratch and dent or refurbished (try Dell Outlet) and likely it will come with Win 7.
plmokn. I did not ask my question correctly. I meant to say buy a new computer with windows 7. Sorry I did make myself clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Alabama
316 posts, read 351,427 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
The OP is asking whether he/she should buy a Windows 7 now or wait - IMO (and you know what they say) - I'd get one now if you find a deal - so many HATE 8 that 7 may become a hot commodity.
That was my question Flamingo13. Whether I should buy a new computer now while win 7 is still available. Looks like I should not wait too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 07:26 PM
 
28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Reputation: 37303
Do a search at newegg and you'll find quite a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2013, 08:01 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 85,104,801 times
Reputation: 18083
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You still might be able to find a new computer with Windows 7 on it.
you can order them from both HP and Dell last I looked. I suspect others who build to order also have windows 7. Last I saw even amazon had windows licensed disk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2013, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Alabama
316 posts, read 351,427 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Do a search at newegg and you'll find quite a few.
Thanks Tek_Freek, I'll check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top