U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:19 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,942,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
If this has been discussed before, please let me know, right now city-data is unable to perform a search. I'd like opinions as to the best way to back up your files nowadays. I'm on a Mac and I'm old school - I bought an external hard drive and was using that. Do most of you still do that or do you backup online? I think there are some free sites to use but I am unsure about doing it that way. How secure is it, etc. It is mostly personal files and photos that I need to backup. I used to use CDs, but I don't need a ton of CDs sitting around, and sometimes they go bad. Thank you....
I'm useing a iMac and a time capusal that makes backups of my whole Mac every hour. Love it has saved me more than once. And it's my router ad well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 05:44 AM

20,553 posts, read 20,535,478 times
Am I wrong in thinking that for the type of files the OP was interested in saving, using a thumb drive is adequate?
Will I end up saying "Oh crap" by only doing this?
All I really care about preserving would be in my Documents section and that is mostly photos with a small amount of "important" files...leases, past 1040's for instance.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:13 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,497,278 times
Old thread revived...

I built a 24TB (unformatted capacity) NAS using 8 3TB drives in a RAID 6 config, which gives me just over 16TB of useable space. All of the servers back up to this system, and I also run our Seafile (self-hosted dropbox type software) installation on it. Each night, it backs up to Amazon S3, so I have an off-site copy of everything.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:28 AM

874 posts, read 508,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
If this has been discussed before, please let me know, right now city-data is unable to perform a search. I'd like opinions as to the best way to back up your files nowadays. I'm on a Mac and I'm old school - I bought an external hard drive and was using that. Do most of you still do that or do you backup online? I think there are some free sites to use but I am unsure about doing it that way. How secure is it, etc. It is mostly personal files and photos that I need to backup. I used to use CDs, but I don't need a ton of CDs sitting around, and sometimes they go bad. Thank you....

I use an external HD. When I had a HD go down, it was easy to by a new one and reload. I wondered then how I would get to my files if they were on line.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:13 AM

287 posts, read 418,631 times
Due to the nature of my work, probably 99% of my data lives on Dropbox and Google Drive. I keep a Time Machine backup (updated weekly) on an external HDD in case my laptop kicks the bucket, and I periodically archive old files on Amazon Glacier.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:15 AM

287 posts, read 418,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Old thread revived...

I built a 24TB (unformatted capacity) NAS using 8 3TB drives in a RAID 6 config, which gives me just over 16TB of useable space. All of the servers back up to this system, and I also run our Seafile (self-hosted dropbox type software) installation on it. Each night, it backs up to Amazon S3, so I have an off-site copy of everything.
Have you considered using Glacier? S3 seems a bit cost-ineffective for that amount of data. IIRC, S3 is around ~$0.03/GB and Glacier is ~$0.01/GB.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:34 AM

17,012 posts, read 17,164,159 times
Well, I do not have my drive continually backed-up. But I do backups to a thumb drive when needed.

I keep all files in one main directory.....that way if something goes haywire, I can easily back-up my important files in a snap:

C:\ ALL_FILES_GO_HERE (all folders/subfolders are in this directory)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or