U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 01:46 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,092,042 times

Advertisements

I have a very bizarre problem and it's starting to cause problems.

I have an excel document with embedded document properties defined in the Advanced Properties of Microsoft Office 2010.

I've inserted these into a document using DocPropery fields. and the file is placed onto a shared location on a server.

Alice and Bob both work on this document several times.

The document properties now show that the document is on revision 3. When Alice opens the document on her workstation, it shows the document to be on revision 3. The DocProp field in excel shows it at revision 3.

When Bob opens this document, the document is on revision 3. It shows this correctly in the Document Properties. HOWEVER, the Document Property field is showing as revision 2.

If I take this exact same document and copy it (again) to Alice's computer, it shows as revision 3.

I've tried updating the document property field but it doesn't seem to work. It still shows as revision 2. Even after saving, it shows revision 2 (even though the document properties show revision 3).

I've tried the following.
  • resaved document
  • Deleted temp directories.
  • deleted temp. internet files
  • renamed document.
  • reinstalled office
  • deleted and rebuilt windows indexing
  • turned off and deleted Offline Documents.
This is windows user specific, as this does not occur if I log in to Bob's workstation as Alice.

Simply put, what the hell is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 05:38 PM

18,563 posts, read 55,493,012 times
What happens if you make a new user, like Carol or Ted?

Old 07-19-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
What happens if you make a new user, like Carol or Ted?

Thanks for the reply. I'm not in a position to create accounts on this workstation. What's your logic?

Old 07-19-2013, 07:23 PM

14,390 posts, read 21,075,024 times
Default Oh, snap

Quote:
make a new user, like Carol or Ted?
You win, Harry.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You win, Harry.
They are the wrong Alice and Bob

Old 07-20-2013, 11:49 AM

Dang, somebody actually got it. I was only using that as a side-entertainment though. I'm curious if the problem is somehow tied up in the user settings and permissions, and the quickest way to find that out is to create a couple of dummy users. The logic tree can be easier to follow that way.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Dang, somebody actually got it. I was only using that as a side-entertainment though. I'm curious if the problem is somehow tied up in the user settings and permissions, and the quickest way to find that out is to create a couple of dummy users. The logic tree can be easier to follow that way.
Appreciate your response (even if I only get to it months later). Still an issue.

1. It affects multiple domain users.
2. If 'follows' the domain users.
3. If Bob logs in to Alice's workstation, it happens to Bob. When Alice logs in to Alice's workstation, it does not happen to Alice.
4. This only appears to affect Excel documents.
5. These are custom document property fields.
6. The users are on a domain (if that wasn't clear before).

I'm wondering if it's some kind of GPO that's following the user, but I couldn't begin to imagine what it could be.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:14 PM

In essence, I would remove the current hidden crap and turn the spreadsheet as close to a flat file as possible, then add whatever hidden crap you want back in and call it version 4. There are file comparitors, and you could compare a file from Bob's version to one from Alice's version, but I doubt that the offending glitch will even show.

The info in these links might help:

[SOLVED] Show document properties on sheet

"The inspectors for Comments and Annotations, Document Properties and Personal Information, and Headers and Footers cannot be used in an Excel workbook that has been saved as a shared workbook (Review tab, Shared Workbook command). This is because shared workbooks use personal information to enable different people to collaborate on the same workbook. To remove this information from a shared workbook, you can copy the workbook, and then unshare it. To unshare a workbook, on the Review tab, click Shared Workbook. On the Editing tab, clear the Allow changes by more than one user at the same time check box."

Remove hidden data and personal information from Office documents - Support - Office.com

Old 01-09-2014, 01:43 PM

I'm not going to be able to confirm this for a few days, but some preliminary investigation into some of the documents I do have seems to indicate this might be the problem.

If this solves this, I owe you a dozen beers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or