U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:03 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,118,311 times

Advertisements

I know we all use our computers for e-mail and the Internet--especially this forum ! But what else do you use your computer for??
Do you have any favorite programs or games you think some of us might be interested in trying? Let us know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 12:46 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,400,904 times
I bought this computer (my first one) to keep track of business expenses, schedule, etc.

I do all of the business stuff in about 5-10 minutes.

I belong to several forums, I do surveys, play mah jong, look up every new plant/tree/bird that I find and I am a major weather junkie. I have several NOAA pages, USGS Earthquake page, nationwide temperature map, etc.

Still trying to figure out my scanner.....

Old 10-13-2006, 01:00 PM

622 posts, read 2,548,013 times
Oh boy...

I am a graphic designer, so I live at my computer.

I use Adobe software: Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, After Effects. Also Flash, Dreamweaver, Maya. I use these programs to create print design, web design, and 3D motion graphics/animation (I work at a TV station).

I also love iTunes and GarageBand. GarageBand is a lot of fun because you can create music with it. It's not a really fancy program, just fun. But I don't know if it's available for PCs. But I recommend it.

My sister is really into The Sims. I hear thats an awesome game.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:06 PM

7,416 posts, read 16,904,145 times
Since we have a digital camera, I use a photo software from MSN to touch up any photos that need touching up and then I "burn" all the photos I keep to CD's........currently have 23 CD's of photos. Also have movie clips from the digital camera that I burn onto a CD. A few years ago, bought on-line software to a music website and downloaded/burned enough songs to make 30 music CD's (15 for wife/15 for me). We play Empire Poker (play money), I have a WWII War game and I keep records of vehicle maintenance on CD/Excel. I am a member of this Forum and Coloradofisherman.com. We both do a lot of research on the Internet also. That is how we chose the digital camea and video camera we have now. We have both a desktop and a laptop, so we can both be on a computer if we want to.
And, we both use a computer at work most of the day.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:09 PM

I love Mahjong, Evey. I used to be addicted to Spider Solitaire, but now it's Mahjong. My version is from Hoyle. What version do you use?
I like to edit photos using Photoshop Elements. There is a pretty good freeware program--Gimp--that I've also tried.
I started out creating videos using Pinnacle (decent program), but now I prefer MovieMaker. I use a lot of programs along with MM to come up with the effects I want. I also use Screenblast Acid and Sound Forge to edit music for my videos and my computer (I don't like the sounds that come with Windows). Nero to burn.
I admire you, Maria. I tried Anim8or (freeware for creating animation), but I'm not artistic enough. It was way over my head!

Old 10-13-2006, 03:09 PM

892 posts, read 2,217,547 times
Photos - adobe, canon, costco, kodak, & other programs. Don't know which is my favorite yet. They all have different things I like, one is great for red eye, one is great for organizing, one is great for emailing. Adobe photoshop I have only had for a couple months and it is great so far except for "my way of organizing" . use them all for - achiving (sp?), editing, burning to cd's, making movies with, sending to people.
videos - my BIG to do list, probably have 100 digital tapes that I need to put on dvd's.
burning dvd's
itunes - playlists, making mp3 cd's, ipod crap
I love yahoo music radio station, have it set to all my favorites bands and I find new artists that I like from listening to it also.
Games - was addicted to mah-jong & everything else on the hoyle cd, now onto Luxor, rock & roll jepordy, magic inlay. Finaly caved and signed up for the real.com gamepass. Gives me a game each month for $7.99, will cancel it when I run out of games I want.
The printshop - make cards, newsletter for someone, edit photos as well.
microsoft money - great program do bills in no time at all.
I do all my "shopping" online ( I find what i want at what Price I want then go to the store to buy it). makes christmas shopping easy, just go off my list.
I spend too much time on this thing.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:11 PM

892 posts, read 2,217,547 times
I am up to 2500 songs on my itunes! not too shabby.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:34 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,400,904 times
http://www.by-art.com/mjong/mjong.php

Here is a link to the game that I play.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:52 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,514,712 times
My time on my computer is usually spent doing research, working on web sites, ebay, reading about real estate, editing pics, emailing and scratching my head.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:44 PM

Thanks Evey--was going to give you reps, but I have to spead them around.

Rature--it is still fun though--isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or