U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 06:36 PM

149 posts, read 260,476 times

Advertisements

I have an old desktop PC that has all my music stored on it. I still use the computer from time to time, but I'm afraid one of these days it's going to stop working and I won't be able to get to all my music.

I've been thinking about getting an external hard drive as sort of a back-up for my music. Any suggestions on what kind (brand) of external hard drive is good? I found a Western Digital 2TB Passport external drive on Amazon for about $110. It looks to have pretty good reviews. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 06:40 PM

40,074 posts, read 48,974,742 times
Have you tried posting in the Science and Technology threads, you may get qualified responses there.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:48 PM

38,972 posts, read 20,441,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraychick01 View Post
I have an old desktop PC that has all my music stored on it. I still use the computer from time to time, but I'm afraid one of these days it's going to stop working and I won't be able to get to all my music.

I've been thinking about getting an external hard drive as sort of a back-up for my music. Any suggestions on what kind (brand) of external hard drive is good? I found a Western Digital 2TB Passport external drive on Amazon for about $110. It looks to have pretty good reviews. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
I don't know much about external drives but I have backed up my music on CD's and/or flash drives. You should do this regardless of the age of your computer as even newer machines can crash. Always good to have a back-up.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:10 PM

10,666 posts, read 5,066,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Have you tried posting in the Science and Technology threads, you may get qualified responses there.
Just what I was thinking^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I don't know much about external drives but I have backed up my music on CD's and/or flash drives. You should do this regardless of the age of your computer as even newer machines can crash. Always good to have a back-up.
Yes, I second this advice^, I do the same.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:39 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,058,102 times
2TB is a lot of storage. You could backup both of your computers on it. External hard drives are pretty standard. What’s not standard are the connecting cables, especially if you have an older PC. If have PCs you probably want a drive that has both USB 2.0 and 3.0 connections. If your newer computer is a Mac you have to consider Firewire and Thunderbolt.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:27 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,694,719 times
Wouldn't a flash drive be ok?

Old 07-21-2013, 02:11 AM

149 posts, read 260,476 times
I looked for a computer forum, but I guess I just overlooked it. One of the moderators moved it for me.

Yes, I suppose a flash drive would work too. Obviously a lot cheaper. Maybe I'll go that route.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:34 AM

40,218 posts, read 41,815,454 times
Quote:
While CD's or any burnable media is good solution for third backup they shouldn't be used as primary backup especially if it's important. Commercial discs are pressed into a thin piece of metal and even these are susceptible to failure but it might be centuries. The discs you burn are literally burned into a chemical and that chemical will deteriorate over time. The disc will fail at some point. It might be tomorrow or it might be 20 years from now but it will fail. The when depends on a lot of things like the disc quality, hardware or even the software you are using.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 AM

2,349 posts, read 4,563,579 times
Quote:
I disagree in the context of this thread. The original poster was looking for a backup for his music and he mentioned a 2TB hard drive. That right there indicates he has a LOT of music. No way is a flash drive a practical solution.

Yes, an external hard USB hard drive is the way to go. Even the cheapest ones are reliable enough and provide enough throughput to deliver music.

Also, try Price Watch. I just found 2TB hard drives from WD for $85.

PriceWatch - Lowest prices, local and nationwide stores selling USB 2TB Hard / Removable Drives | Page 1

Old 07-21-2013, 09:36 AM

2,349 posts, read 4,563,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
Wouldn't a flash drive be ok?
Not for more than a few gigs of data. Flash drives are for portability.

See post #9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers